new toy just finished

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

westernsky

new toy just finished

#1 Postby westernsky » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hi all,
just thought id post a pic of my new toy

standard rem700 action and bolt
XLR chassis with heavy duty buttstock
30" trueflite barrel chambered in 300RUM with truflite sideport brake
sightron 6-24X50 scope with MOA-2 reticle
harris bipod

cant wait to get it run in and start developing a load so i can bring it to the range!
very exciting!
theres no such thing as too many rifles!

Lynn Otto

#2 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I assume you will be removing the muzzle brake before venturing onto an NRAA range since they are not allowed.

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Its obviously what you wanted built but honestly not my cup of tea. You will need to remove the brake for range use and if your range lets you shoot it there, nobody will like shooting next to you much. How much does it weigh? Recoil is going to be a big factor without the brake too so hopefully you got every bit of 10kg into it?

Courtz Day

#4 Postby Courtz Day » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Brad Y wrote:Its obviously what you wanted built but honestly not my cup of tea. You will need to remove the brake for range use and if your range lets you shoot it there, nobody will like shooting next to you much. How much does it weigh? Recoil is going to be a big factor without the brake too so hopefully you got every bit of 10kg into it?
:shock: :shock: :shock: that is going to hurt with no brake

Seddo

#5 Postby Seddo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:28 am

nice set up. i love the feel of my XLR stocks and the upgrade you got to the exteme butt with bag rider is a must for serious shooting.

Dont let the negative commetns get to you, the XLR stock isnt everyone cup of tea but at the end of the day its how YOU like the feel of the rifle and not what the peanut gallery say. Personally i have 2 XLR stocks (use to have 3) with another on the way, they work for me too.

As for the calibre, it will buck the wind really well!!! I dont know why its so hard for people to understand that not everyone shooting f class wants to win or build a rifle that will win, we shoot it for the love of shooting and thats it.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Lynn Otto

#6 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Seddo wrote:Dont let the negative commetns get to you, the XLR stock isnt everyone cup of tea but at the end of the day its how YOU like the feel of the rifle and not what the peanut gallery say.

Clearly I need to get my glasses replaced, I haven't seen any negative comments thus far. Let's see, information on the use of a brake, comments on it not being someones 'cup of tea' and comment on recoil...but no negativity about the style of the rifle at all. :?

Personally, I don't have issue with the rifle itself, from a technical point of view it is a fine rifle but it certainly isn't what I would have, 'horses for courses'. Just because someone doesn't like a certain style doesn't mean they are being negative or that they belong in the peanut gallery. Actually that comment has been the only negative thing on this page. :(

Westernsky I'm sure you are very pleased with the outcome of the project to build it, I know I would be, new toys are always wonderful to have.

Seddo

#7 Postby Seddo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Lyn & Brad,

Sorry about that, it was an over reaction on my behalf. i was reading it in between phone calls and going back now the 2 posts dont seen as negative as i remembered. i thought it was going the same way as a few posts in the past on different looking rifles.

My 375 ccheytac was fine to shoot without a brake but it weights 10kg, not sure how much fun a light weight 300 RUM will be.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

aaronraad

Re: new toy just finished

#8 Postby aaronraad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm

westernsky wrote:Image

hi all,
just thought id post a pic of my new toy

standard rem700 action and bolt
XLR chassis with heavy duty buttstock
30" trueflite barrel chambered in 300RUM with truflite sideport brake
sightron 6-24X50 scope with MOA-2 reticle
harris bipod

cant wait to get it run in and start developing a load so i can bring it to the range!
very exciting!

Very fit for purpose! You had to go and stir them up with no woodwork and an all matt-black rig :lol:

Not sure if the muzzle brake is actually 'banned' on the range you intend to shoot from, but their definnitely not in the allowed under events using the current SSR's. Just check with the range before-hand as events vary!

You might be able to have an adjustable muzzle weight threaded up, so the point of impact remains the same as when the muzzle brake is installed? You can also maximize the overall weight if you decide to shoot in a certain competition class to help minimise recoil. Could be worth a try? Check out the Border Barrels Barrel Vibration Simulator to see the effects of changing your barrel profile:

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/rimfire_accuracy/barrel_vibrations.htm

Just wait until they pick-up on your shooting platform. Does anybody know the range rules on glass table top shooting platforms! :lol:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Brad Y

#9 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Seddo no probs mate I didn't take any offence. I could however see my little 22 in something similar to chase bunnies around the bush. For me the only long range I get is 900m at the range so I'm build something that can ride bags and is going to be 10kg.

As long as western sky is happy with it then my opinion ain't going to change a thing.

Seddo

#10 Postby Seddo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:27 pm

The 284 i use in FO

My old 375 Cheytac

----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Lynn Otto

#11 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Seddo I also didn't take any offence, I just thought I would clarify the points so that the thread didn't decline into a slanging match. That would have spoiled things for Westersky, it's no fun having people rain on your parade. :)

As an aside, were you shooting the 375 in Open? I'm curious about the power of the scope, it looks fairly limited, but maybe I'm just used to seeing big Nightforce scopes on rifles.

Lynn Otto

Re: new toy just finished

#12 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:10 pm

aaronraad wrote:
Just wait until they pick-up on your shooting platform. Does anybody know the range rules on glass table top shooting platforms! :lol:

LOL, Aaron I'd reckon if he has dispensation to shoot from a bench, he can use any damn thing he likes, my recollection is that the rules are suspiciously quiet on the topic of bench design. :wink: :lol: Mind you I'm not sure I'd be too keen on the stability of bags on a smooth surface like glass.

macguru

#13 Postby macguru » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Lets not be prejudiced against BLACK rifles. Here is my offering. Its a Savage LRP 260 Remington that will be shot from a rest, fitted with a sightron scope and driving 130/140gr bergers. I may need to add some weight but of course the recoil is a lot less than the 300 RUM above !

westernsky

#14 Postby westernsky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 pm

finally got back to see the results of my post!
i realise i cant use the brake at the range but thats ok, its going to be pretty close to the 10kg limit but im not fussed if i cant enter comps, i just love shooting!
recoil shouldnt be a problem, the original rifle was only about 4kgs and i managed that ok.

seddo that 375 looks like alot of fun! theres just something about big calibres that appeal to me. boys and their toys hey!

cheers for all the feedback, its all much appreciated, good or bad
happy shooting!!

westernsky

#15 Postby westernsky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 pm

and no i wont be shooting from a bench, all prone shooting for this little black duck!

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”