DTA SRS for F Class

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

#31 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Norm,
Even in the "olden days" our rifles (303's ) were capable of extreme accuracy at extreme distances, ( 900 yds ) so that bit has not changed. The rifles' capability has nothing to do with it, the word is" perception" and if you can present me with some facts that the public at large are concerned about our rifles' capabilities ( well some rifles anyway ) I may campaign in another direction.
I rather suspect that generally the public haven't a clue what our rifles are capable of. ( well some rifles anyway )
Barry

flatlina

#32 Postby flatlina » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:20 pm

DannyS wrote:G'day Seddo,

Its not just in rifle shooting, turn up at your local gun club with a FranchiSpas and see what sort of reception you receive. :wink:

If anyone turned up with one of these at the clubs I'm a member of they would be busting to have a few shots.
:P

Regards
john

Seddo

#33 Postby Seddo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Danny,
I new it woud be hit and miss with people but it has brought up some interesting comments and thats all i was trying to achieve.... a discussion. :D

DannyS wrote:G'day Seddo,
Its not just in rifle shooting, turn up at your local gun club with a FranchiSpas and see what sort of reception you receive.

I know where you are coming from but its not the same thing. A Spas is a Cat D shotgun and there is ne legal way to use one in a sporting competition. Its like saying i turned up with an AR15 (Cat D), when infact i am using a Cat B rifle. I'm with JB, i would want to have a go as well. The last time i used a semi auto shotgun i was in my 16 but my old man sold it and bought a doouble barrel. Its funny how when i could have bought one i didnt and now that i want one i cant.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

DenisA

#34 Postby DenisA » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm

I think the beauty and key selling point of F-open is "CHOICE". Choice in bullet, powder, calibre and gun.

It makes the sport less restrictive and less boring to individuals. I am far from competetive but it seems to me that in F-open, to be competetive you have to adhere to the rules as best you can to get full advantage out of them, no more and no less.

If its not breaking rules then to me its O.K. It may not be what I have picked but lets face it, Bathurst was way more exciting when it includeded manufacturers such as BMW's and Nissan, prior to the now two horse race.

We all love shooting, we all love rifles and different rifles are interesting.

The attitude of people trying to supress other peoples ideas and opinions due to the "Thats different to what we do" attitude is exactly why F-class has and is still being shunned upon by Fullbore shooters. So this debate is feeling quite hypocrytical to me.

If and when F/TR is accepted, we can guarantee that we'll be seeing a lot of alluminium millitary looking chassis systems on the line.

And a final point, a 2008 VE Commodore looks exotic compare to a 1996 Commodore. They're both just family sedans but one's newer. Designs and styles change. That also apply's to all sports.

DannyS

#35 Postby DannyS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:32 pm

There has been a music video on the Daily Bulletin at Accurate Shooter.com by Steve Lee from Nsw. Its called 'I Like Guns'. It is exactly what some of us have been saying about perceptions. In my opinion (Aubrey, its only my opinion) this guy is a complete turkey and his portrayal of his interest in firearms is exactly what we don't need.

Now I'm sure some of you won't agree with me and I'm also sure some will enjoy it, I just hope not too many of you.

Anyway, have a look and give us your feedback.

Please note, I have not put a direct link to it, as I dont think we need it on this forum.

Seddo, my comment re the Franchi was to draw a comparison on the image, In those days many guys used A5 Brownings which were quite acceptable, however the franchi wasn't.

take care

Danny

Barry Davies

#36 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:52 pm

S'pose the NRAA could use it as promotional material, should drag them in. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barry

Aubrey

#37 Postby Aubrey » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:54 pm

DannyS wrote:Please note Aubrey that I am expressing my own personal view again, so no need to get on your soapbox :wink:

No space on that soapbox with all you blokes on it. Unbelievable mindset. You have every right to an opinion, just don't impose it on others.
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

10FPAT

#38 Postby 10FPAT » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 pm

Looks good Seddo,
certainly bought the flat earth society out!

Can't believe the drivel that Bruce is sprouting, It's OK for him to turn up on the line & shoot his blackpowder clunker & expect everyone to be overawed (HoHumm) But if he thinks that the tree hugger's will differentiate between that & your fine piece of modern machinery he is only fooling himself.

I like you only shoot F class for fun and not as often as I would like and choose to use my AI stocked R700 if people don't like it that's their problem.

Rgds Bill

Norm

#39 Postby Norm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Well I think the discussion has pointed out that some shooters here think that Alloy stocked, radical looking rifles strike fear into the non shooting comunity and have no place in this form of shooting.

Maybe this rifle comes under this category? It would look no less radical and tactical than Seddo's rifle to an untrained non shooter.
Anyone recognise the camo wearing owner?

By the way I think its a great rifle and well done on the win.

westernsky

#40 Postby westernsky » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:50 pm

after reading this thread and the previous one i thought id put my two cents worth in.
im new to f class, but have shot air rifles and rimfire at clubs since i was a kid.
i personally love the look of that rifle and think it would be so much better for the sport if "different" looking rifles were far more accepted as this would bring in more of the younger shooters who see target shooting, whatever the discipline, as boring.
believe me ive had countless people tell me that opinion!
like it or not tactical style rifles are very appealing to younger shooters, such as myself, particularly. whatever the reason for this is different from shooter to shooter, and really, who cares.
i got into f class because im a shooting enthusiast, and dont want to be restricted to a "control" rifle. being able to shoot what i want just for the enjoyment of it is what matters most to me, if good scores come with that then great, but if not, at least ive had an enjoyable day at the range with like minded people.
i feel public perception will only change if we open our sport to more people, which can only happen if we accept those who want to shoot their personal rifle, whatever it looks like.
this is just my opinion, but what i will say is that when my rifle is built, if the club i choose to join is not totally accepting of my rifle, then they miss out on my membership and support. who then is the loser in that?

happy shooting to all of us enthusiasts
theres no such thing as too many rifles!

AlanF

#41 Postby AlanF » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 pm

F-Class is growing and I think this thread is an example of growing pains. As we grow, different interest groups will form around particular aspects of the sport. Enthusiasm for tactical/sniper style rifles seems to be the latest (although I remember some Sako TRGs etc. being used nearly 10 years ago). At the moment, the majority of F-Classers at my range are serious competitors, and their main priority is to get a good score on the target. So they spend their money in the best way to achieve that, i.e. on purpose-built target rifles. We've always had a few shooters who'll bring along an old SMLE or the like, just for the fun of it. Looks like we're going to get a few more bringing along more modern military rifles just for the fun of it. If all safety rules are complied with that's fine with me. Particularly if some of them get sick of being outscored by $500 Omarks and decide to buy a proper F-Class rifle! :D :D :D

Alan

DenisA

#42 Postby DenisA » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 am

I agree that there are specific intended characteristics of a competetive F-class rifle that something like the DTA or TRG doesn't have and I prefer a rifle thats 100% designed and suited to F-class Open.

That said, I don't think F-class fraternity should be afraid of someone trying to compete with a millitary style rifle or more importantly I don't think we should be attacking our friends over competition legal choices that differ from our own.

I stand to be corrected but I believe that the original idea of .223 and .308 in Fullbore and then F-standard is that they're Millitary calibres.

Rifle shooting is closely tied to the millitary and always has been. I think it's silly to try and deny the routes of the industry in fear of the Antis and what people may think.

Public perception of the sport is changing as is proven by rifle licensing being at an all time high. Re-educating the public is the only way to fight the antis and that means we should all be doing our part to introduce new members to the sport. Every new member we have is one less for the antis.

Gadget

#43 Postby Gadget » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 am

Hi All
Interesting debate, please see photo of the NSW F Open Team's Rifle's
Not a piece of wood to be seen, our choice and happy that we can.
Graham

bartman007

#44 Postby bartman007 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:48 am

Graham,

Was it your turn to clean :?:

I've seen that stock around a bit, what is it's name, and do you know roughly what it is worth?

I see it has a barrel clamp arrangement, and with the Nightforce scopes it must be close to weight. I gather barrel profile selection is key to keeping the weight down?

Cheers

Norm

#45 Postby Norm » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Gadget,
Great photo.
I would like to see some of the other teams put up photo's of their rifles as it would give us something to compare against.

Just what does a great F-Open rifle look like?

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”