DTA SRS for F Class

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

DannyS

#16 Postby DannyS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey Bruce,

Do you think you could pimp it up a bit :D

Cheers
Danny

johnk

#17 Postby johnk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I guess that the first & only issue that concerns me is that the fore/aft balance looks pretty poor for bag riding & the butt seems inconveniently shaped to use a rear bag.

Norm

#18 Postby Norm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Nice looking rifle Seddo,
Looking forward to having some fun shooting next to you. I have seen how it shoots and it would surprise many.
Good mates out having fun on a Saturday afternoon. Thats what its all about.

I wonder what percentage of F-Class shooters shoot for fun and how many shoot for sheep stations?

bruce moulds

#19 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:06 pm

it's not about shooting for sheep stations, but more about not being an appendix to the sport of fclass.
fclass is from, and has the culture of fullbore.
the rifle pictured is not an fclass rifle, but a trip up a side road, heading newhere near where fclass is going.
john summed it up with his comment re rear bag suitability.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Seddo

#20 Postby Seddo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 am

So to sum it up, the opposition is to the front rails (that i dont use) and the fact the butt isnt designed for a rear bag (but it has worked okay so far).

How about my 284?? No rails and it works well off a rear bag.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

bruce moulds

#21 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:21 am

the opposition is to things which have the appearance of being designed for the purpose of killing people.
your summary is only patiially correct.
the big magazine also gives the impression of a certain form for a function which does not prioritize fclass.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Sambo

#22 Postby Sambo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:18 am

Seddo, I think it looks sick! Much more manly than some of the brightly coloured rigs getting around.

Don't be deterred by some of the attitudes. Most people can't work out that tacticool is just a fashion trend. It isn't a threat and people who buy rifles like yours don't have delusions of being a special forces sniper!

Seddo

#23 Postby Seddo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 am

bruce moulds wrote:the opposition is to things which have the appearance of being designed for the purpose of killing people.
your summary is only patiially correct.
bruce.

Like the SMLE??? You cant say that wasnt designed for killing people.

bruce moulds wrote:the big magazine also gives the impression of a certain form for a function which does not prioritize fclass.
keep safe,
bruce.

The box mag does serve a point, it allows me to use the rifle as a repeater when i am not using it for F Class.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

bobeager

#24 Postby bobeager » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 am

It pays to keep an open mind. Think forwards 10,15, 20 years and your are attending the final shoot at your beloved country rifle range before it closes for good. ( I wonder if we had welcomed those young blokes with the "sexy" rifles we would still be a viable club?)

We recently had such a young bloke turn up. He was welcomed, he joined, and now he is looking to build a "real" F class rig based on a Barnard action.

We are now "welcoming" another new member and his lady partner who initially has a "black coloured" factory Savage repeater. They now have the F Class " bug" and I am confident they will upgrade their equipment as they gain more experience.

Barry Davies

#25 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am

Rifle clubs were part of the defence force from inception until 1997 when the rifle club regulations were repealed-- as a consequence of Port Arthur. As a consequence of being part of the defence force obviously we used the same rifles -- SMLE's. P14's, M17's and #4's--- military rifles. Sure, SMLE's and the others were designed for killing people and the rifle clubs were set up as a reserve defence force, for killing people. -- things had a different perspective in those days,but since PA that perspective has somewhat changed. In our case for the worse.
The best thing to happen as far as we were concerned is that we no longer use rifles that resemble killing machines. We could finally get on with the job of using rifles designed solely for the purpose of punching holes in paper. It's a subtle difference I know but public perception can make or break you.
We no longer had weapons of war, those being replaced by Target Rifles. The public were reasonably happy.
Now it seems we have gone full circle from Military rifles to Target rifles and back to Military Rifles and for those of us who have been there, quite frankly it worries the crap out of us.
It's not a matter of kow-towing to the anti gunners, it's a matter of keeping our image clean which gives them no reason to attack us, and if that makes me a " flat earther" then I plead guilty.
Barry Davies

bartman007

Conventional

#26 Postby bartman007 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:21 am

TOM:

I think you should look at the current offerings in TR. There are some fancy Aluminium castings getting around, all of which don't have the "conventional" look of the Omark. Maybe we could call it the boring look of the Omark, it has been around so long. I got rid of my mullet in the 90's because it was so yesterday :-)

The Open boys from SA have had a play with pimping, and it is all about having fun. Progression in our sport.

Maybe our Open class can show some flair by not just using the latest and greatest projectiles / barrels / chamberings, but carry that over to Stocks and all the ancilliary bits too.

Seddo, that new toy looks the goods. What it always comes down to, can it shoot 8)

Maybe the NRAA should modify the wording used to come in line with the current breed of equipment :idea:

Seddo

Re: Conventional

#27 Postby Seddo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:59 am

bartman007 wrote:Seddo, that new toy looks the goods. What it always comes down to, can it shoot 8)

The factory state 1/2 moa or better on all barrels and calibres.
----------------------

Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Norm

#28 Postby Norm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Barry Davies wrote:It's not a matter of kow-towing to the anti gunners, it's a matter of keeping our image clean which gives them no reason to attack us, and if that makes me a " flat earther" then I plead guilty.
Barry Davies

Barry,
Have you seen the scores that F-Open shooters get now days at 1000 yards. I can tell you that the public does care about a rifles capability.

Maybe we should only shoot to a maximine range of 300 yards so as not to scare the public by our ability to hit very small targets at what they see as extreme range.

Sam Walker

#29 Postby Sam Walker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:06 pm

I take heart from the fact that not everyone is a flat earther...
Sam

DannyS

#30 Postby DannyS » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:09 pm

G'day Seddo,

I'm sure you are proud of your new rifle and why wouldn't you be, it is probably your dream machine or close to it and have spent time and money getting it, however, everyone to their own, we are all different.
As you would know by now many support you and many don't, thats our choice, but I'm sure you knew when you ordered it that it would be unpopular with some. You have been around long enough to know that.

Anyone that expects to use something that is different to the norm in any sport has to expect to cop some flack. Unfortunately, firearms that have that modern tactical para-military style are unpopular with a lot of shooters. Its not just in rifle shooting, turn up at your local gun club with a FranchiSpas and see what sort of reception you receive.
Whilst you outfit may or may not comply with the rules in F Class, I'm sure that you would make more friends turning up with a more conventional looking piece.

Please note Aubrey that I am expressing my own personal view again, so no need to get on your soapbox :wink:

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”