My F-STD - F/TR Rifle.

If you take a pride in the appearance of your rifle(s) and other gear, post a photo and give us some commentary.

Moderator: Mod

Quick

My F-STD - F/TR Rifle.

#1 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:03 pm

This is my baby. Took 3 years to get to this point. My Pride and Joy.

Shoots in the mid to high 50s at 300, 500, using 155gr NCC load and 1000 with my 175gr SMK load.

Now doesnt have the Stock pack or Harris Bipod, Been replaced with a Atlas V8.1 Bipod. Best Bipod I've ever used.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Southcape

#2 Postby Southcape » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Nice.

What does it weigh in at?
Linda

Quick

#3 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'd have to check.

I havent really weighed it TBH. I'll weigh it tonight when I get home.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Quick

#4 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Weight of stock, barrel and scope comes to around 5.5kgs when I use the manufactures listed weights. Im thinking around 7kgs maybe??

Stock is 4.1lbs
Barrel is 6 - 6.5lbs (31" blank cut to 26")
Scope is 1.9lbs

Action is a R700, Bipod is Atlas and Base and Rings are NF.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Fireman_DJ

#5 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Is that a Quick Cuff sling?
Am thinking about getting one myself.

If you could let me know where you got it and what you think of it.

Other then being "the best", how does the Atlas compare to the Harris?

I have a similar setup to what you have, only at the beginning of it's life.
Rem700 Varmint blued with the original SPS stock (for now, thinking the AICS to replace it), Harris bi-pod and Niko Sterling 10-50x60 scope.

I got it all with the intention of building it up and getting better stuff later on.
So far my best score with it is 50.3 at 800 and 48.1 at 900. Still working on the best load for it and still learning to read the wind! So the rifle will perform better with a different shooter behind it.

Quick

#6 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Fireman_DJ,

The Atlas bipod is a swivel/cant as well as front/rear swivel. It lets me really lock in behind the rifle and the bipod doesnt slide like a Harris. They are expensive compared to a Harris but well worth it. I shoot my 400m Fly and now F-Class off this bipod. You really need to try one and see for yourself.

That is the Quick Cuff sling, specificly the M24 Contract version with HD swivels and alike. I got mine from a mate in the USA but you can get them from brownells for around 70 USD. Great sling, can get very secure. I want to try it on a TR rifle but not many TR rifles have sling swivels.

Make sure you try the AICS before you buy as most people have a love/hate relationship with it. I havent used one yet myself but like my A5 and also my back up HS Police stock. Have a look at the 2nd market for your stock. Could get it for a good price.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Fireman_DJ

#7 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:47 pm

What do you mean by front/rear swivel? How the legs are spring loaded?
My Harris cants, which I like because I cant over when ejecting rounds (one shoot keeps telling me to lock it in, but in the field the ground is never level so I like to practise levelling the scope for every shot).

Looking at Tactical Intervention's website has left me someone confused to the differences in the models, because other then some having QD sling mounts I can't see anything different. A "compare features" would be nice.
Can you shed any light on why you went the M24 contract version? Just heavier duty or is there some other feature or design difference to it?

Haven't heard to many complaints (or positives) for the AICS. The reason I want to try it is the aluminium chassis, adjustable length of pull and cheek piece and it looks like a nice comfortable thumb-hole. The biggest issue I have with the Remington SPS stock is the grip isn't vertical enough. So I find I'm not really holding onto the grip the way it's meant to be held.
But I will try to get my hands on one to test out before I shell out the $1600+ for it.

Edit:
Also, do you use the quick cuff when shooting off the bi-pod? Or just push into the bi-pod to stiffen it up?

Quick

#8 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

The front of the bipod can 'rock' forward or back and lock into position. When using a bipod this is very handy as its lets you get down behind the rifle and lock into position and that also helps you control recoil better and helps with follow through. You can keep the rifle level and lock in behind the bipod, just takes practice, this is one area I feel the Atlas helps in. Try one yourself and see what you think. if you dont like it, many guys will buy if from you.

the Sling, I know the swivels are different but not sure what else. Could be heavier duty contraction but best to email Mike Miller (owner and designer) and ask him. Good guy to chat to.

I give everyone who wants a new stock to try before you buy as its a very personal choice I think and its important to find the right fit for YOU.

Hope that helps.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Fireman_DJ

#9 Postby Fireman_DJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:17 pm

I'll have to find someone with one to try out the Atlas.
I'm the only one at my range shooting with a tactical style firearm. Everyone else is either F-Class bi-pods or rests. One shooter saw my gun when I first got it and said "that looks like a real gun".

Already sent an email off, waiting on a reply.

And I know that it's like to get a stock to fit. A thick slip-on recoil pad plus some stuffing inside it to adjust the length of pull plus a couple of stubbie holders cut up and duct taped on for my cheek piece, all just to fit into the scope.

The only things I don't like about the stock are the grip and the lack of stiffness. (The SPS stock has a pressure point on the front of the barrel and is too weak to free float. But still performs pretty good.)

Quick

#10 Postby Quick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Yeah,

Try looking for a 2nd hand HS Police stock. They are good stocks. I ran one for about 2 years before switching to my A5 as the balance was better with my 20" barrel. The 26" now suits the A5 stock due to balance point and weight.

Just shop around and see what ya like mate. Building a rifle is a fun game. In the end, what you have is YOURS! :)
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

veritas1

Rifle type

#11 Postby veritas1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:52 am

Looking at my first rifle, shooting F standard and wanted to know the model and brand of the rifle?

Quick

#12 Postby Quick » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:33 am

It's a custom build mate. R700 action, Kreiger barrel. If you want to shoot FS, have a look for an already set up rifle for the pedestal rest. My rig is awesome but takes slit more concentration to shoot well with it. Recoil management and alike.
Shaun aka 'Quick'

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Seddo

#13 Postby Seddo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 am

Looks good Shaun. I have an A3 stock with the same camo pattern.
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

Return to “Photos of Rifles etc.”