BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Gyro

Re: BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle

#16 Postby Gyro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:19 am

macguru wrote:I think you just need enough power to pick a spot in the x ring to aimoff, ie left x , 1/2 way left x, dead ctr etc. I can do that with a 32x, better with a 42x, great with a 50x.& only can use more when mirage permits. I would say a 40x is the min for f open, and a 30x for f std. obviously some latitude here. i am sure a few comps have been won in f open with an 8-32 NF (I know they have)

Crikey macguru if I go to heaven and they shoot F Class there then perhaps I can shoot like u describe above.

Mate I just aim for the middle and when an X appears I call that a bonus :D

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:09 am

macguru wrote:...I would say a 40x is the min for f open, and a 30x for f std. obviously some latitude here. i am sure a few comps have been won in f open with an 8-32 NF (I know they have)

One has been won with a scope set to 10X (just to prove a point). Scope magnification and aiming method are highly dependent on individual preferences.

Azzopardi

#18 Postby Azzopardi » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:42 am

G'day manibh,

I have 2 of the BURRIS XTR-II 8-40 and here's the reason why.

I'm an ex TR shooter and was always taught about the importance of the sight picture, "the target does not have to be a perfectly crisp all the time but you need to see something so you frame it". This is what led me to F-class, I couldn't see the blob at the other end anymore. I now shoot F-open.

I started shooting F-TR in 2016, thus converting a Phil Mastin's Nelson 600 TR rifle and bolted a NF Comp on top. I won the NQRA F-TR Queens with it but, I was not completely satisfied with the sight picture. While I could see the target at the other end jumping around the dance floor, in mod to heavy mirage, the thin recital would disappear every other time. Being new to F-class and scopes, I didn't know any better; until Dave Mac showed me the Burris.

After the first time out with the Burris, shooting in the mirage in Cairns, I was hooked. My younger years of TR came flooding back; I could see the sight/reticle clearly all the time because of the thicker lines. The other pros and cons are:

Pros:
[*] The reticle's are MOA and their setout lines up with the rings on the target regardless of the focal power due the the First focal plane.
[*] You can centre the retical dot/circle in the X ring.
[*] When the mirage builds and the X ring disappears, my eye automatically tracks to framing the 6 ring and so on and so forth.
[*] Couldn't see any different between the NF Comp glass and the Burris glass but that could be my eyes.
[*] The 1/8 clicks are solid.
[*] Zero stop is easier to set up than the NF Comp
[*] I find the First focal plane compensates for the lack of the extra 10x because its a great framing scope.

Cons:
[*] Its heaver than the NF Comp - not a problem in F-open
[*] The reticle can be busy to some people.
[*] If you don't like to 'frame' and only like to put the cross hairs in the middle, maybe this is not the reticle for you.
[*] While i have no issues with the Burris at 900m and have shot 60's with it at the same distance, 50x power would be nice.

My theory is, find a scope that best suits your eyes and sighting picture to suit your shooting discipline. I have and it happens to be a Burris XTR-II 8-40 x 56. I purchased a 2nd as a back up.

Mark Azzo.
Regards,
Azzo

macguru

#19 Postby macguru » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:56 am

Thats true, if you aim at the middle and wind knobs then a lower power scope will work OK. Its just that i dont know many people who win f open that shoot like that. Once they find the x ring alot tend to fine tune it by small adjustments to aiming off, conditions permitting.

One has been won with a scope set to 10X (just to prove a point). Scope magnification and aiming method are highly dependent on individual preferences.
id quod est

Gyro

#20 Postby Gyro » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Just to bring this thread back to where it started ..... Mark Azzo your appraisal of the Burris XTR-II 8-40 FFP makes a lotta sense to me !!! I could I believe happily use that scope.

What needs to be noted here ( say I ) is the kind of errors re where the bullet goes - relative to where the cross hairs are when the shot is released - are for probably 90% of us way beyond what the scopes resolution is giving us ???

manibh

#21 Postby manibh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Thank you guys for your comments, I am still researching and fighting to know how much NF NXS 8-32 SFP with $2700 price is better than Burris XTR-II 8-40 FFP 1800$ which has more magnification and more features.
problem is I can't find anyone in Sydney which has Burris to be able to compare and 1800$ is expensive experiment. But as Mark mentioned he is happy with his Burris and still can be competitive.

Does anyone here ever tried Burris and NF NXS both and noticed anything different about Burris?
In addition, what kind of ring or mount I need for them, some say 20 MOA and zero at 300m is it same for all scopes in f-Class?? My rifle does have picatinny rail (Tikka T3X super varmint).

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”