BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle

#1 Postby DaveMc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 am

The new Burris XTRII 8-40 F class scope has arrived in country (only 3 available at this stage though). We have one on the way up here to test. They will be available through all Beretta stockists.

Without discussing retail prices they should come in between the NF BR and NF comp scopes and are a first focal plane scope with a decent looking moa reticle for holdoff. An interesting second bar at 20 moa???? Not quite sure on the use as at 40 power you will be zooming in on only the centre section of the standard cross so designed for long range holdovers at low power???

Anyway - practically the crosshair looks usable and can't wait to get my hands on them for assessment.

Burris offers a "Forever" unconditional warranty - no questions asked.

DaveMc

Re: BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle

#2 Postby DaveMc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:49 am

I have had the new Burris XTR-II over the collimator and out at the range over the weekend and have to say I am pleasantly surprised.

Being first focal plane reduces the possibility of errors in a few areas so needless to say there was no poi shift in Zoom or focus (unlike many I have seen). The scope tracked flawlessly and has nice, crisp definitive clicks. No detectable shift under the recoil and impact testing - feels very solid. There are some nice features on this scope including the turrets and how they are marked (photos will follow somewhere). For those that like minute reticles for hold off - this is one of the better ones and I found it easy to hold off down to 1/8s when conditions allowed. The centre dot and boxing with the minute marks makes for very good centre holding in both good and severe mirage conditions. Like the March FFP8-40 the usable zoom range is in the 25-40 power for minute marks. At the low end everything is getting very fine fine and no way of really holding off in minutes but becomes a decent crosshair at the lower powers.

I have yet to conclude on optical quality but first impressions are good. Minimum focus is 50 so could not test on optical charts in here at range and the shoot on Sunday had significant mirage. Handing it around early in the day had all impressed by the clarity. But by the time we started shooting and in the heavy mirage there was no visible difference with the outstanding NF comp scopes we had on the line but by no way is this a definitive test and conditions were far from ideal.

After setting parrallax at 800m the side focus turret was sitting right on 800.

I hope to write up a full review when I get a chance to test on the optical charts.

Burris's "FOREVER" warranty is the best warranty on paper. No questions asked - forever..... which may find them a decent following.

Dave McNamara

manibh

#3 Postby manibh » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:47 am

Hi guys i am new to f class and thinking about buying burris xtr ii 8-40 or NF BR 8-32. Are you still happy with burris?
Another alternative is Vortex pst gen 2 5-25 .
All these scopes are in 1500 to 1800$ budget.
I am planing to but tikka super varmint 308 for it!

pjifl

#4 Postby pjifl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:08 am

I personally would not recommend a riflescope for F shooting of less than 40 magnification. Most F class shooters that I know of benefit from more than that. A NF BR of 10-42 can always be set down to 32 or 25 if you wish. For hunting or some other type of shooting less may make more sense. Another factor to consider is weight. The NF BR scopes are good and solid but heavy.

Peter Smith.

manibh

#5 Postby manibh » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for advice but NF BR is missing FFP, zero stop and only 40 MOA Adjustment, sightron siii 10-50 also doesn’t offer zero stop. I thought its important otherwise everytime you have to remember elevation setting to bring it back to zero.

Burris offers a lot for the money but not sure if they sacrifice on quality! Feature wise its really attractive for the price. But i am novice don’t want to spend 1800 and regret it.

My budget is less than 2000$ do you recon best I can get in NF BR?

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:38 am

First thing - what will be the intended use of the scope ?
FO, FS or FTR. Or other shooting disciplines. Scope weight becomes a factor to consider.
40 minutes elevation is OK with care but it depends a lot on the cartridge and distances you intend to shoot.

You seem to be placing a lot of weight on having a FFP Graticule and a zero stop. I would not be letting these factors drive the scope brand and model.
Zero stop is of more use in a tactical situation and you will still need to record scope settings anyway. Maybe nice but hardly needed for F class. Needs resetting with every barrel and cartridge change.

FFP eliminates zoom errors but does not minimize tracking errors at all. But this is at the expense of degraded Graticule line visibility at various magnifications.
It depends a lot on the particular one and some are much better than others. I actually prefer a second focal plane Graticule. I see that DaveMc seems to think the Graticule is fairly good in this Burris which probably counts for a lot

I am not knocking your idea of the Burris but the original comments by DaveMc are now 5-6 years old and I have no experience with this Burris scope.

My main reason for writing originally was to urge you to buy a max magnification no less than 40.
Don't rush this decision. And you are right. I have seen a lot of people 'save' money on riflescopes and regret it.

Peter Smith.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Bought 5 different brand rifle scopes before I bought a nightforce comp. Couple have bought 3 nightforce scopes for the same money and then wouldn’t still have to look for 2 more and find the funds. Buy once, cry once.

manibh

#8 Postby manibh » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks Peter and Brad for your help.
It is hard to start, I just tried classic TR shooting 1 time and F Standard cal .308 at 300m and 600m, I likes the F Class more specially at long range like 600~1000 which was very challenging.

It will be great if I could reuse the same rifle for the hunting but obviously heavy barrel and scope of F class won't be ideal for long walking and hunting. but maybe 4 times a year I can go for hunting rest is long bore club shooting.

I likes the idea behind FFP but seems like in F Class as you mentioned not really an advantage but zero stop I thought it good to have.

I will have my PTA in 2 weeks and just gut the safe yesterday, I am planning to buy one of the following:
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Stainless Still (as it has heavy barrel) 24" .308
Caldwell XLA External Spring Pivot Position Bipod - 6-9in
Scope is probably NF if Burris is no good
Scope ring 20 MOA NF (Unimount)

Originally I wanted to get Tikka T3X CTR Stainless Still 20" .308 but seems like short barrel will cause lose of muzzle velocity for projectile and medium heavy barrel can get hot quickly. But it was really good candidate for Hunting + F Class if previous 2 reasons weren't important. Correct me if I am wrong?

In general I got the feeling that in Australia, F Class shooters always prefer NF. What is the real difference between 8-32 Br and NXS? does NXS worths extra 1000$? I know they come with Zero stop with additional 425$ (https://www.nvt.com.au/p/2304/nightforc ... x56mm.html) .
Is there any shops that I can save some money on purchase?

Thanks in advance!!!

Gyro

#9 Postby Gyro » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:55 am

I believe the glass in the NXS is the same as the Benchrest.

FWIW I've been using a 5.5-22x56 NF with the MOAR-T reticle for F Class and it works for me.

I briefly tried a much higher powered scope ( because everyone else has gone that way ) and it did NOT work for me.

The cross hairs on my NF are just so bloody clear for my tired old eyes and are very easy to see on the target in all conditions.

What I'm suggesting is you have to find out what will suit YOU the best. Regards Rob.

PS. I would suggest too if money permits then forget about trying to get a rifle setup that will cover both hunting and F Class. Have one for each job.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:19 pm

I tried for years to have a dual purpose hunting and f class rifle. As good as it will get is multiple scopes and multiple barrels and possible multiple stocks. I know its not what you want to hear, but everything is a compromise when you try to do a dual rifle. If your after a saving of a few dollars you can look at the sightron SIII range of scopes. I have a tikka t3 223 that I use for club shooting off a bipod at short range. Only because I dont want to waste components out of my 7mm’s and shoot the guts out of ET’s. And we are doing a bit of a drive to attract new members with hunting rifles to shoot the shorter ranges as well. Easy and cheap to put someone on it if needed.

manibh

#11 Postby manibh » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:26 pm

I think our final verdict is "BURRIS XTR-II F CLASS SCOPE 8-40 FFP with MOA reticle" is not suitable for F Class?
Also as there is no glass/quality difference between NF BR 8-32 and NXS 8-32 I better save extra 1000 and buy BR only?
One thing is BR has zero stop and more MOA adjustments but not sure if it will make it better for hunting or not?

Any suggestion for Tikka T3X CTR 20" barrel or Super Varmint 24" barrel? Any issue with CTR?
Happy new year guys and Merry Christmas!

Gyro

#12 Postby Gyro » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:27 pm

The NF Benchrest scope is a big heavy scope mate but does not have zero stop. Awesome scopes but too big for a field rifle I reckon.

The extra adjustment range ( on the NXS ! ) is always good and can save you having to fool around with sloped bases etc

I have not had a Zero Stop in 8 years of competition F Class shooting and have never worried. I just put a bit of duct tape on the scopes tube beside the turrets and write (with a sharp hot point ) the number for each turret where the zero comes to. Now also remember to always unwind the turrets a few turns when not using the rifle when it's in storage just so you don't leave the scopes adjustment springs compressed heavily. So when you take the rifle from the safe to use you just wind the turrets in until they come to the zero marks ( 100 yard zero ) you have marked/etched onto the duct tape. Works for me.

The bottom line is ya just need a totally reliable scope that allows you to see well enough and with a reticle you like. Sightron scopes have a good name too and the ones I've had were excellent. Ive had two SIII 8-32×56 and they are great. I still have one.

Gyro

#13 Postby Gyro » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:37 pm

And don't be thinking just because some guy has an 80 power scope ( that he's paid moonbeams for and can see flies on the 1000 yard target ) that he will outshoot you when you have a much less expensive scope !!

macguru

#14 Postby macguru » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 pm

I think you just need enough power to pick a spot in the x ring to aimoff, ie left x , 1/2 way left x, dead ctr etc. I can do that with a 32x, better with a 42x, great with a 50x.& only can use more when mirage permits. I would say a 40x is the min for f open, and a 30x for f std. obviously some latitude here. i am sure a few comps have been won in f open with an 8-32 NF (I know they have)
id quod est

johnk

#15 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Way back I wanted a NF 12-42 but thought the adjustment was too petite, so I bought an 8-32 & fitted it with a BulzEyePro 3X booster, which took it up to the 42 power I wanted, more or less. The trick with that add on though is to read the recommendations on the web site & don't try to outsmart their recommendations or you'll end up not being able to clear your crosshairs.

https://www.bulzeyepro.com/

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”