New Gunstock Maker

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

ned kelly

New Gunstock Maker

#1 Postby ned kelly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:58 am

G'day all,
My name is Geoff, most of you know me as Ned Kelly here on this forum, I come from an aviation engineering background where I started out building aircraft then fixing them, my shooting career has been in SR BR, 500m Fly and F Class, for the last 20years. I was on one of the first Geoff Slee gunstock courses some years ago and bought nearly all of Geoff's machinery (missed out on the pantograph). Nevertheless, I am well on my way and I intend to have some of patterns and some examples of my work on show such as semi finished stocks, checkering etc at the Victorian Queens this weekend.

I've restored a pantograph that (as I believe) was owned by Simon Wattley (?) from Castlemaine. It is now up and running and combined with my 4 axis CNC router will be making and inletting rifle stocks for target shooting and varminting. Gunstocks at the moment are carved on the pantograph, with either hand finishing or CNC touch up to ensure straightness and square edges for bag riding and tracking.

I intend to make the very best stocks, test them, and sell them. If they wont shoot, I wont sell them. It probably wont ever be a high volume business but I hope you like the quality, customised design and personal service I offer.

So if you are in the neighbourhood, drop by for a chat.

My Facebook page link is below

https://www.facebook.com/JAG-Precision- ... 5/timeline

Cheerio Geoff aka Ned
Last edited by ned kelly on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Y

Re: New Gunstock Maker

#2 Postby Brad Y » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Good luck with it Geoff- some nice looking gear you have :D

ned kelly

#3 Postby ned kelly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 pm

G'day Brad,
Thanks mate, glad you liked it.
I've amended the link to show the time line not the other page.
Cheerio Geoff

DenisA

#4 Postby DenisA » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:23 pm

FANTASTIC Geoff. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of your work on the FB page. I'll be eagerly watching it.

Will you be launching a website?

Where can we see your products on offer?

What sort of timber and laminates will you be keeping in stock?

Good luck and congratulations. Dream job...

ned kelly

#5 Postby ned kelly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:52 pm

G'day Denis,
Thanks for the comments, I'm certainly enjoying it.

I'm hoping to have most of the pantograph patterns sorted by the end of the month, then start CNC machining of the CAD designs I have shortly afterwards. This will include CNC of the duplicator copies for proper tracking on rests and bags and I will also be CNC inletting them for some of the common actions used today. Some actions I will need to access to allow me to draw them up in CAD and test cut some wood to see if they fit correctly.

Stocks initially will be made from marine ply, with exotic woods used in non structural areas if the customer desires. I currently have Redgum, blackwood, Silky oak, iron bark, some limited quantities of Black Butt and Jarrah. I may use Mountain Ash too. Luckily I live near a timber recycler who sells his offcuts for firewood, so his firewood may end up on a fancy target rifle!

On my FB page I've just made a classic varminter with fiddle back Redgum on the forend for my Rem40XBR it looks kinda nice. As for a website, I was discussing that with my IT guru today so give me another few weeks on that item.

Thanks for your comments,
Cheerio Geoff

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”