Neck Expander

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

Neck Expander

#1 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Attached is a photo of a recently developed neck expanding attachment for Body Dies.( Redding only )
The expander attaches directly to your Body Die or Small Base Die and incorporates an interchangeable mandrel of a size specified by the customer.
Unlike buttons that expand the neck on withdrawal from the necking die, this attachment expands the neck while the case is still fully supported by the Body Die, thereby eliminating the possibility of pulling the neck out of alignment
Although not primarily designed to eliminate neck run out, the set up ensures absolute minimum run out, particularly if cases are neck turned.
Currently available for .308 with other calibres being developed.

If interested contact Adam Davies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RDavies

Re: Neck Expander

#2 Postby RDavies » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Looks good, I will give him a call about some calibers I am after.

RDavies

Re: Neck Expander

#3 Postby RDavies » Mon May 23, 2016 9:08 pm

Barry, my expanders arrived. So far I have only used the 284 Shehane one and it went well.
I expanded 150 cases which I had previously necked down .002" too far accidentally. I have only seated 9 bullets so far.
On the 6 cases from the first 2 different batches of brass, the bullets were extremely even and smooth to seat. Thee batches had different neck thicknesses from previous neck turners. There is now no hard spot at the donut (or actually neck/shoulder junction tight spot) which they all had before. I checked run out and it was around .001" TIR on those 6.

I Will try the WSM brass tonight and SAUM brass when the die arrives.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”