Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Message
Author
RDavies
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Singleton NSW

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#16 Postby RDavies » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Norm wrote:At this rate with the way the supply of Berger bullets is drying up. (And the way the cost is going up on Sierra's etc).
I think a lot of F-Open shooters will be pulling out the old .308, buying some Aussie made 155's and go back to shooting in F-Standard.

How about supporting the Australian bullet makers? There are some top quality Australian made bullets in calibres and weights appropriate for F Open. While F class seems to pray to the Berger gods, the Benchresters and flyshooters have been using locally made pills regularly.

RDavies
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Singleton NSW

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#17 Postby RDavies » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:12 pm

willow wrote:For anyone interested, Berger just updated the BC and optimal twist rates for all their bullets too. Some interesting adjustments made to say the least.

I see they now list 180gn VLDs as having a lower BC than Hybrids.

Norm
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: Gippsland, Victoria

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#18 Postby Norm » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm

RDavies wrote:
Norm wrote:At this rate with the way the supply of Berger bullets is drying up. (And the way the cost is going up on Sierra's etc).
I think a lot of F-Open shooters will be pulling out the old .308, buying some Aussie made 155's and go back to shooting in F-Standard.

How about supporting the Australian bullet makers? There are some top quality Australian made bullets in calibres and weights appropriate for F Open. While F class seems to pray to the Berger gods, the Benchresters and flyshooters have been using locally made pills regularly.


Rod,

I've got some of Aarons G7's on the way to try. =D>

AlanF
Posts: 6795
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Maffra, Vic

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#19 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:19 pm

I have some of Ken Melgaard's 178s and will try them after Canberra.

BTW my "go to" powder N165 looks like its finished in Australia (along with all VV powders). NIOA took the agency over from Custer and now don't seem to have the capability to supply. QRA has published their excuses relating to freight difficulties. We have a real problem in Australia with NIOA controlling so much of the firearms market. They still don't have everything covered, so whenever there's a choice, I'll be preferring their competitors from now on. Its not good that our choices are gradually being squeezed just to improve their bottom line.

Alan

johnk
Posts: 2168
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#20 Postby johnk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:24 pm

VV powders were always an issue, even with Custers. There was/is only one ship worldwide that would carry Lapua/VV supplies to Australia & if a particular captain was on the deck, he would refuse to upload the consignment, so we heard from Custers.

AlanF
Posts: 6795
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Maffra, Vic

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#21 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 pm

johnk wrote:VV powders were always an issue, even with Custers. There was/is only one ship worldwide that would carry Lapua/VV supplies to Australia & if a particular captain was on the deck, he would refuse to upload the consignment, so we heard from Custers.

I think its more of a case of "where there's a will there's a way".

Its no skin off my nose, I have plenty of N165, and will use more of the alternatives to make it last. As stated my main concern is the gradual reduction in brand choice - as we all know its also happening in other areas such as hardware. We have a small independent hardware store in Sale, that in many categories has a wider product range than Bunnings.

Brad Y
Posts: 2012
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#22 Postby Brad Y » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:23 pm

I had heard that the costs that would be incurred to get an order of Vit powder from europe would be so cost prohibitive that it would turn the Aus market off it anyway. Its apparently a business decision but a sad one for shooters as not only a few f classers who use N series powders, but also it seems that 133 is the benchmark of powders for benchrest shooting worldwide for group shooting at 100/200. I wonder if Aus shooters will remain competitive on the international scene with this development.

I see news of a new sierra 183gr matchking in 7mm with a very VLD looking profile and an amazing G1 BC. It would be interesting to see a litz published BC study on it- maybe it might be a killer to the 180 or even 195gr bergers. Would hate to see the cost of it though. 107gr 6mm sierras are not much under 70c each now.

Wonder if more importers of bergers into Aus would improve the opportunity of availability in Aus?

Norm
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 pm
Location: Gippsland, Victoria

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#23 Postby Norm » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:19 pm

Brad Y wrote:I see news of a new sierra 183gr matchking in 7mm with a very VLD looking profile and an amazing G1 BC. It would be interesting to see a litz published BC study on it- maybe it might be a killer to the 180 or even 195gr bergers. Would hate to see the cost of it though. 107gr 6mm sierras are not much under 70c each now.

Wonder if more importers of bergers into Aus would improve the opportunity of availability in Aus?


The new Sierra 183gn pill is listed at US$51.80 on Sierra's web site. The Berger 180gn Hybrid is US$49.99 on Gafs web site, so just a bit more expensive in the USA. In Australia however the price difference may be a lot more due to the price gouging from the importer.

RDavies
Posts: 1923
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Singleton NSW

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#24 Postby RDavies » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Norm wrote:
Brad Y wrote:I see news of a new sierra 183gr matchking in 7mm with a very VLD looking profile and an amazing G1 BC. It would be interesting to see a litz published BC study on it- maybe it might be a killer to the 180 or even 195gr bergers. Would hate to see the cost of it though. 107gr 6mm sierras are not much under 70c each now.

Wonder if more importers of bergers into Aus would improve the opportunity of availability in Aus?


The new Sierra 183gn pill is listed at US$51.80 on Sierra's web site. The Berger 180gn Hybrid is US$49.99 on Gafs web site, so just a bit more expensive in the USA. In Australia however the price difference may be a lot more due to the price gouging from the importer.

With the way the exchange rate is going, locally made pills are looking more and more attractive.

DaveMc
Posts: 1429
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#25 Postby DaveMc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:42 am

Dollar has slipped - Prices should be 150% of what they were not long ago but importers and retailers have absorbed a lot of this so price gouging claims in this case are ill informed. If you don't believe then try and import some yourselves--- See how much you pay for them.

Freight issues are another problem altogether.

Most of us up here are happy to use Sierra when the Berger supply falls short and it is wise to develop a load for both.
Several thousand 180 Sierra in stock and many more 175. The SUPER 183 gr are not on the horizon yet but we are pushing the importer hard for them

Lapua ScenarL are another very good (but expensive) option - Great high quality projectile but unfortunately out of stock with no ETA just yet.

Barry Davies
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#26 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Nice to see the resale people are absorbing such an apparent hefty increase, but to do this they must have been loading up the price rather steeply in the first place!!

ShaneG
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Cairns
Contact:

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#27 Postby ShaneG » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Open your own gunshop and give me a call after 18 months if you are still in business Barry!
Be an interesting but not enlightening conversation for sure!

ecomeat
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Beaudesert QLD

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#28 Postby ecomeat » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Shane, any chance you would have room in your luggage to bring me back a couple of thousand of these new 7mm Sierras that Dave was talking about :D :D
Image
Image
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Barry Davies
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#29 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Not sure what you mean Shane? Care to expand on that?
Have run my own Business for the past 25 years -still here, don't wear ragged clothes, don't drive a BMW either -do pass on all cost increases as they occur. and don't charge excessively.
The last "do" and " don't " are the key to a successful long term business.

KHGS
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:46 am
Location: Cowra NSW
Contact:

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#30 Postby KHGS » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:18 pm

ShaneG wrote:Open your own gunshop and give me a call after 18 months if you are still in business Barry!
Be an interesting but not enlightening conversation for sure!


Yep, been there & done that. I have been an importer & nobody knows the pitfalls & hidden costs until they try it!!!!
Keith H. [-X


Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest