Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

ecomeat

Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#1 Postby ecomeat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 pm

We Queenslanders got an email from the QRA about needing to pre-order for a shipment of bullets about to be packed by Berger in the US.
When I emailed a request to have my name put on some 180 gr VLDs, I got the following reply today :

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your enquiry.
 We won’t actually be receiving any of the 180gr VLDs in the upcoming shipment. We will hopefully be receiving some in our next shipment which will be arriving in March 2016, but until we can confirm exactly what we will be receiving we cannot begin to take deposits for this order.

Regards

Isn't that an unfortunate turn of events :cry: :cry:
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Cameron Mc

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#2 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Tony, we could organise a raid on Mario,s shed.
He has his shelves full of 180vld's
:idea: :mrgreen:

ecomeat

#3 Postby ecomeat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm

I am in :D :D we could raid him this weekend.
I have got about 100 pcs left. I will find out at North Arm how my two "VLD loving" Bartleins handle the Hybrids
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Norm

#4 Postby Norm » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Tony,
Steve and I have slabs of 180 VLD's. We could sell you all you want.
I think $4 each would be a fair price.... :P

ecomeat

#5 Postby ecomeat » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 pm

Norm,
They may be worth that by the time Australia gets its next decent shipment !!
I had better start looking for something to blackmail Steve with :mrgreen:
It's a pity we are seen as such a pissy little market. I have it on pretty good authority that bullets.com get 100% of their order , 30 days after it is received. Wouldn't that be a great way to buy from Berger.

plumbs7

#6 Postby plumbs7 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi I just bought 400 off 180 vld hunting from BRT . I think there is 6 boxes left ! Worth having a look !

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:49 am

Im wondering why the memo went to QRA shooters and not everyone who has bought from the Q store. My point being that they are basically the largest berger importer in the country and I think its a bit poor to be looking after their own and not notifying all their customers. Personally I feel the way BRT run their system with an email to notify when in stock is better. I had emailed q store about a recent shipment where there wasnt much at all and they said they didnt take any pre orders for them and when I saw them online then I could buy them. A few days later I hear they are sold out already and nothing went up online?. Now they are taking pre orders? Bit average if your not a queenslander I reckon.

Whinge over.

aaronraad

#8 Postby aaronraad » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Brad Y wrote:Im wondering why the memo went to QRA shooters and not everyone who has bought from the Q store. My point being that they are basically the largest berger importer in the country and I think its a bit poor to be looking after their own and not notifying all their customers.

Try largest single order customer in the world.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

Brad Y

#9 Postby Brad Y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 pm

That may be the case, but being top dog in Aus why wont they look after everyone and not just QRA members? Im sure all the other state and territory associations get their stock from them and not berger direct so why cant they notify everyone else in the other states?

ecomeat

#10 Postby ecomeat » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Whoaaa there !
Brad,
I think you might find that QRA wears two hats here.
One as the principal Importer ......which I understand they started off their own bat, just for "themselves"....,and was then expanded into a national supply chain,simply through common sense, a bit of respect, and a handful of our State and Terrotory hierarchy, along with the NRAA agreeing to a bloody good idea..
And the second hat...as the State Distributor for the QRA itself and it's Qld members
I think you will find that this is just the QRA being well organised with their own quota from the entire shipment.
If other States choose to just put stock on their shelves, n operate on a first in-first served basis, with their allocation from a shipment, then so be it.
I gather that these days, no "order" from Berger gets filled 100% in its entirety, so there will always be some issues with handling back orders etc, but I honestly think you have jumped the gun here, because I genuinely believe that it's up to the individual States etc to work out how they handle their own share . In this instance, you ae going off about QRA supposedly favouring Qld members.......which would be like me being upset that say SARA ( whom I have bought a bit from over the last 4 years) didn't offer me stock from their SA allotment.
Tony

Norm

#11 Postby Norm » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:38 pm

At this rate with the way the supply of Berger bullets is drying up. (And the way the cost is going up on Sierra's etc).
I think a lot of F-Open shooters will be pulling out the old .308, buying some Aussie made 155's and go back to shooting in F-Standard.

Barossa_222

#12 Postby Barossa_222 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I was having this conversation with a few people just the other day. I'm looking to make a start in F/TR after choosing to upgrade my standard rifle and due to lack of Berger projectiles in the 168-215gr range, I'm unsure of what reamer to use. I think I'm going to go back to standard while playing with another barrel for F/TR until I can find a projectile that works consistently. There seems to be an abundance of Sierras, Nosler custom comps, Scenars and JLKs available, so it might just be a case of stepping away from what is working and what the majority of people are using and trying to find the next newest bestest thing.

Brad Y

#13 Postby Brad Y » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Tony- not trying to stir an argument, just that I got told there would be no holds or pre orders at all. Then I find out there was/is for Qld members. If thats from "their quota" then no beef from me. I must concede that it seems WARA arent organised enough at the moment to do it and I might ask the question when they will start stocking 7mm projectiles as theres plenty of shooters here starting to use them. But for now we open shooters here rely on having to order from Q store or BRT and I think our dollar should be treated the same as anyone elses. Unless I spoke to someone on a bad day and can now go ahead and pre order just like anyone else, then I dont see it as fair- we are all members of the same national body. Not sweating on coming shipments anyway but yeah Im sure you guys over there would be a little peeved if WA brought them in and told us could have first bite at the apple before anyone over east got a chance to stock up.

Norm- I agree with you there. The little 223 is going to be the cheapest way to shoot in 2016. Im back to a 6BR for club shooting and even then not going to bother week in and out.

plumbs7

#14 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Norm wrote:At this rate with the way the supply of Berger bullets is drying up. (And the way the cost is going up on Sierra's etc).
I think a lot of F-Open shooters will be pulling out the old .308, buying some Aussie made 155's and go back to shooting in F-Standard.

Yep I have plenty of hybreds stocked up so makes sense !

willow

#15 Postby willow » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:18 pm

For anyone interested, Berger just updated the BC and optimal twist rates for all their bullets too. Some interesting adjustments made to say the least.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”