Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

aaronraad

Re: Bad news re 7mm Berger 180 gr VLDs

#31 Postby aaronraad » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 pm

ecomeat wrote:Shane, any chance you would have room in your luggage to bring me back a couple of thousand of these new 7mm Sierras that Dave was talking about :D :D

Ka wha??? You push it faster and it gets slower????

Reminds me of the Berger 284-175gr XLD...but comes with an accurate test target.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

ShaneG

#32 Postby ShaneG » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:00 am

Hi Tony
Interesting new pills as an option to the Bergers!
Showing here as not shipping until November!
Also going long way home via UK so sorry, plus usual B709A not in place either!
Cheers
Shane

Barry
I could fill two pages up with costs of operating a retail firearms business in Australia.
We deal in almost wholly imported product with the associated export / import costs.
Often high cost / low margin and slow turnover!
Our industry would be the most highly regulated in the country with very onerous paperwork.

Considering the current value of the Australian dollar, the public has yet to see the full pricing impact.
Everything in USD will increase a minimum of 50% eventually even if the AUD stabilises where it is now!
We have averaged 30% increases across the board from wholesalers over the current year.
Thus the wholesalers and retailers are absorbing these increases to some extent.
This can't be sustained and some will disappear.
I typed a long winded reply last night and then deleted it.
Bottom line - I am very upset at the " gouging" and "excessive margins" comments thrown at our industry because they are not justified.
The Australian retail firearms industry operates on lower margins than it should considering the volatility of tenure.
New Zealand has far healthier business models in comparison simply because they can achieve higher margins than us.

KHGS

#33 Postby KHGS » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:09 am

ShaneG wrote:Hi Tony
Interesting new pills as an option to the Bergers!
Showing here as not shipping until November!
Also going long way home via UK so sorry, plus usual B709A not in place either!
Cheers
Shane

Barry
I could fill two pages up with costs of operating a retail firearms business in Australia.
We deal in almost wholly imported product with the associated export / import costs.
Often high cost / low margin and slow turnover!
Our industry would be the most highly regulated in the country with very onerous paperwork.

Considering the current value of the Australian dollar, the public has yet to see the full pricing impact.
Everything in USD will increase a minimum of 50% eventually even if the AUD stabilises where it is now!
We have averaged 30% increases across the board from wholesalers over the current year.
Thus the wholesalers and retailers are absorbing these increases to some extent.
This can't be sustained and some will disappear.
I typed a long winded reply last night and then deleted it.
Bottom line - I am very upset at the " gouging" and "excessive margins" comments thrown at our industry because they are not justified.
The Australian retail firearms industry operates on lower margins than it should considering the volatility of tenure.
New Zealand has far healthier business models in comparison simply because they can achieve higher margins than us.

My findings exactly over 40 years in the industry. Having been subject to same comments over the years, I understand your resentment. However having said that there are some unscrupulous people in the industry who taint those who try to "do the right thing". Also a large number of consumers seem to believe that if you sell something you should sell it below cost. [-X .
Keith H.

Norm

#34 Postby Norm » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Shane,

Maybe you should explain things to your customers better then. We can only go by what we see as the listed price both here and in the USA.

As a customer in Australia, we see 180gn Bergers listed at the Q Store as $54 per 100 and 180gn Sierra's listed at $88 per 100.
When we check the prices in the USA, there is less than 4% difference between the two in RRP.

So on the surface it looks like Sierra's are more expensive than they should be in Australia.
There is way more than 4% difference here. More like 60% difference and that's just at the Q Store which is one of the cheapest places in Aus. to buy them.

Not meaning to have a go at the Q Store. They do a great job but from a customers point of view its hard to understand how costs here vary so much.

johnk

RA imports Bergers direct

#35 Postby johnk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:59 pm

Could it possibly be that Q store imports Bergers direct & sources other projectiles from Australian wholesalers?

aaronraad

Re: RA imports Bergers direct

#36 Postby aaronraad » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:45 pm

johnk wrote:Could it possibly be that Q store imports Bergers direct & sources other projectiles from Australian wholesalers?

...was it about 18-24 mths ago WTSHTF after the previous authorised Australian Distributor dropped them (Sierra) like a hot potato; and we waited until OSA picked them up...about the same time it was evident the dollar was headed in one direction and it wasn't up.

So far I've found Reloading International retail prices consistent and reasonable with US prices. Trouble is they're not much different to local retailers once landed. RI are only asking for a 10% export fee, so that gives you some idea of what margin local retailers are working with, i.e. not a lot.

Most of the 'smarter' local retailers will be discounting consumables as much as possible to get you in store to buy other products they actually make some margin on and engage customers in general chit-chat to see if there is anything else they can provide, or that you might be considering in the next 3 months. See Coles/Woolies/Petrol Stations for examples less the personal service/marketing aspect though, which they try and make up with catalogues, advertising and in-store displays.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

jasmay

#37 Postby jasmay » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:06 am

Brad Y wrote:Im wondering why the memo went to QRA shooters and not everyone who has bought from the Q store. My point being that they are basically the largest berger importer in the country and I think its a bit poor to be looking after their own and not notifying all their customers. Personally I feel the way BRT run their system with an email to notify when in stock is better. I had emailed q store about a recent shipment where there wasnt much at all and they said they didnt take any pre orders for them and when I saw them online then I could buy them. A few days later I hear they are sold out already and nothing went up online?. Now they are taking pre orders? Bit average if your not a queenslander I reckon.

Whinge over.

Brad, keep in mind one thing, the QRA is a members association, setup and run primarily for members, with members money. I think it’s only Natural members get first dibs on any stock brought in for the Q-Store. Now if they are bringing stock in for other associations so be it, and those supplies should be only available to those states members.

Perhaps, what needs to be done is a bunch of people through one chap, namely Mark Fairbairn, get together and place a direct order, wouldn’t be too hard to arrange I think, but to make it worthwhile we would need about 20-30+ folk spending about $1000-1200 each, now I know a couple of folk who have attempted this, one guy I spoke with just recently ended up with a price of about $100 per box for 185gr bergers landed, so perhaps folks should take Shane Green's comments with a bit more maturity.

The other side of the coin is, the Q-Store throwing open its doors to the general public has damaged the average retailers ability to sell at reasonable margin that help them sustain their product lines, two of the biggest stockists of Berger in Australia pulled the pin not long after the Q-Store started this, a third very well known amongst target shooters is apparently "on the brink" with Berger, these were the comments I got directly from the horses mouth after a face to face recently.

As well as this, don't expect Q-Store prices to remain as low as they have, 20-30% drop in the dollar has to have an impact.

As Rod Davies has said, support local, if you want stable prices, work with and support the locals!!

macguru

#38 Postby macguru » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:11 am

This does not bode well for us, in terms of supply ..... ny times
US Gun Sales Soar After Obama
Calls for New Restrictions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
id quod est

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”