INCH ACTIONS IN AUST & US

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

#16 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Lynn Otto wrote:When you can provide those things and I am not saying you can't, so that people have peace of mind in their purchase then maybe it would be a fair question.

Lynn, we provide those things every day of the year. More than I can say for a lot of people we have dealt with in business here or overseas lately.

Lynn Otto

#17 Postby Lynn Otto » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Woody_rod wrote: More than I can say for a lot of people we have dealt with in business here or overseas lately.

:D If it's anything like the supply problems we've had with our business, you have my sympathy.

bobeager

pricing for INCH actions

#18 Postby bobeager » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

I am not taking sides in this discussion, but there is a big difference between a "hobby" and running a Business. A Business incurs many costs ( and taxes), over and above the cost of manufacture. Marketing and Sales can be an expensive exercise, and these costs, many of them Fixed, need to be apportioned over the orders that are processed. Therfore, a large "bulk" order can be more efficient to manage, and therfore attracts a lesser proportion of those costs. A suggestion to "Woody" is that you link your Aust. Retail price to a Currency (eg US Dollars), and that way local buyers may be more confident of a fair pricing policy, particularly if the Aust. Price goes UP and DOWN with fluctuations in international trade.

It is unfortunate that many of the manufacturers / importers of shooting products in Aust. only move prices UP.

It would be interesting to know the "elasticity of demand" for rifle actions in Australia, that is, how changes in price effect demand. For example, you could halve the price, and only sell 20% more...result could be going out of business.

JAY AYE

#19 Postby JAY AYE » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

May I ask what has this action done to have a $1800.00 odd price tag, personally if I had that sort of money in my pocket I would buy a Barnard or an RPA both of these actions have won numerous Queens and even an odd Commonwealth Games, you would have to say both of those are worth their price. Maybe the Inch will be as successful.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

bruce moulds

#20 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm

or a stolle.
bruce moulds
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Woody_rod

Re: pricing for INCH actions

#21 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:13 pm

bobeager wrote: A suggestion to "Woody" is that you link your Aust. Retail price to a Currency (eg US Dollars), and that way local buyers may be more confident of a fair pricing policy, particularly if the Aust. Price goes UP and DOWN with fluctuations in international trade.

Ok, no problem. When our suppliers and competition do the same, we will move our prices with the $.

Woody_rod

#22 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:15 pm

JAY AYE wrote:May I ask what has this action done to have a $1800.00 odd price tag, personally if I had that sort of money in my pocket I would buy a Barnard or an RPA both of these actions have won numerous Queens and even an odd Commonwealth Games, you would have to say both of those are worth their price. Maybe the Inch will be as successful.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

You may have considerable trouble getting one of those actions, but you will only find out if you tried to buy one. You will also find that the Millenium has also won many big competitions, Robert Chombart being the designer of both the Millenium and INCH.

Time will show the difference.

bruce moulds

#23 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 pm

some people put robert chombart with paul mauser and john browning, and some do not.
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Robert Chombart

#24 Postby Robert Chombart » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:39 am

bruce moulds wrote:some people put robert chombart with paul mauser and john browning, and some do not.
bruce moulds.

Mr Moulds,

I break a long voluntary silence, here... But you can be sure that I ill return in peace immediately after this post...

After insulting comments of the past, I am now the subject of what you may find yorself as irony, and what I tend to consider otherwise withthe approproate terms in my language!!!.

I have nothing to prove to you, and leave you with your approciation.

Those who know me also know I am quite a person of modesty, not an inflated ego.

R.G.C.
R.G.C.

Woody_rod

#25 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:17 am

bruce moulds wrote:some people put robert chombart with paul mauser and john browning, and some do not.
bruce moulds.

You have met Robert I guess? Like so many people here in AU, they make guesses about products and people without knowing the whole story - or even making an effort to find out. There are so many experts in AU with regard to rifle actions (and designs or designers), although they have never designed, manufactured or even taken an action apart. Many of these experts fit barrels and similar extremely simple rifle work, they then think they have the knowledge to interpret a rifle action design. Fitting barrels is the simplest work we do in our business.

I do not consider myself an expert on rifle action design, although we are the only fulltime action maker in Australia. These wannabe experts are simply kidding themselves.

If you like stuff made in the USA, that is fine by us. It just proves the point that some people here in AU will always think that equipment from overseas is always better. If people want actions with designs based directly from the 1890's, go right ahead. Like I said, the world has moved on a long way since then.

Do you now see why we concentrate on overseas markets, where we don't have the same thinking we see here? AU people want stuff better, more accurate, faster, but are not prepared to pay the price for it.

Lynn Otto

#26 Postby Lynn Otto » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:48 am

Woody_rod wrote: Do you now see why we concentrate on overseas markets, where we don't have the same thinking we see here? AU people want stuff better, more accurate, faster, but are not prepared to pay the price for it.

Or maybe when spending that sort of money they want something with a proven track record. Rod I am not in the market currently for an action but from a consumer point of view I would be looking for something that I know will give me what I am looking for when parting with that sort of money. Like I have said, you may need to get the scores on the board to give consumers some confidence in the product. I say from a consumer point of view because I also operate a business and have seen a number of businesses close because they lacked local support simply because it is currently so easy to buy overseas. Sadly most do not realise that they are losing their local expertise until it is too late...when it is no longer cheap to buy internationally.

Be patient, make the product speak for itself in a marketing sense, make people trust and want the product, don't belittle and malign the very consumers I assume you want to sell to.

TOM

#27 Postby TOM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 am

We have some very competent action designers and manufacturers in this country--- Wilbern, Maddco, Davies to name three. There are others.
The market for large scale manufacture is simply not there.
Local shooters are more than prepared to pay top price for good equipment, they just get a little pissed when they see a locally made product sell for around $800 less in the states.
TOM

Woody_rod

#28 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:38 pm

TOM wrote:We have some very competent action designers and manufacturers in this country--- Wilbern, Maddco, Davies to name three. There are others.
The market for large scale manufacture is simply not there.
Local shooters are more than prepared to pay top price for good equipment, they just get a little pissed when they see a locally made product sell for around $800 less in the states.
TOM

Are these people still making actions?

The market is worldwide. The scale is based on a worldwide market, this is obviously not understood.

Read the posts to answer the last point you made.
Last edited by Woody_rod on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woody_rod

#29 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Lynn Otto wrote:Be patient, make the product speak for itself in a marketing sense, make people trust and want the product, don't belittle and malign the very consumers I assume you want to sell to.

I find it annoying to be given lessons from someone that does not know our product, services or anything about us. Only the negative things said about us on this and other forums. We operate in a vastly larger area of operation than you probably realise.

Like I have said a number of times, we put our effort in where we get the reward. So far, that is not Australia. This is the same as any other manufacturer, and does not overly worry us.

TOM

#30 Postby TOM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Woody,

Your attitude toward Australian shooters is your biggest drawback.
TOM

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”