New Pointing And Meplat Trimmer

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

IanP

New Pointing And Meplat Trimmer

#1 Postby IanP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:57 pm

Looks like John Whidden has got some serious competition!

http://www.bullettipping.com/

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 am

Interesting.

I've been using the Whidden for some time with my match rifle with acceptable results, but I felt that the "one tip fits all" approach isn't the most desirable. However, now I'm committed to that beast, I'm sure I could have new stem tips made to order.

On the other hand, I kind of like the Whidden meplat trimmer that indexes from the bullet base, rather than the ogive. I don't trim until after I point & the Whidden process permits me to sort according to how much the meplat is cut. What actually occurs is that I trim the longest OAL projectiles to a clean meplat first, then come back with a second cut on the shorter pills. This pretty much obviates the need for me to sort on bearing surface length - for match rifle anyway.

Trimming the meplat off a fairly nebulous ogive point has always seemed to be a bit suspect to me. If the index point is really close to the junction, then there's a risk of distorting the projectile form & fudging both the result & performance & if forward, how precise is it?

IanP

#3 Postby IanP » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:46 am

johnk, Whidden has had new dies available for a short time now. I use one for VLDs and one for Scenars.

Look here: http://www.whiddengunworks.net/newdieinserts.html

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks, Ian, I'll follow that up.

John

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”