INCH Action

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Sunny

INCH Action

#1 Postby Sunny » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Mr woody_rod,
I believe you are going to produce the Chombart designed INCH action in Western Australia, when will it be available and how much?

Do we have choice of barrel?

What delivery time frame?

I understand it is a rear locking action, is this true?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Go Hawks!

mick l

#2 Postby mick l » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Gday Sunny
The INCH action certenly reads very well and from what I hear,shoots even better.
Mr Chombart has had a hand in many designs of action and all have been great shooters.........even his triggers are world beaters.

regards
mick

Woody_rod

The INCH action

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Sunny, (and mick l et al)

Having heard a lot of talk about a local action, we did something about it.....

We (Woody Engineering Pty Ltd) were lucky enough to be appointed the exclusive WORLDWIDE manufacturers of the CG INCH action. We are indeed in Western Australia (near Katanning). The actions will be made on a Mazak SQT15MS machining center, which is a CNC lathe / mill capable of very high production rates, incorporated with tight tolerances. It has full automation capability, with a robotic arm function that loads and unloads material and finished parts.

The action is probably the last incarnation of the designs from CG - that is Messrs Chombart and Ginestet from Normandy (France). I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr Chombart, and dined with him in his residence in Normandy during a recent trip to France.

Initially, we are producing the action only, with a "factory" rifle being available soon after. At this point in time, we hope to have actions available for delivery at the end of 2008, with factory rifles available sometime in the first quarter of 2009.

Triggers will be the "CG Universal" unit, made under license by X-treme shooting products in the US.

Barrels are a bit of a problem here in AU, but at this point, the standard fitment will probably be a Pac-Nor or Krieger. Of course,if customers prefer a different maker, they can arrange to have them delivered to us for fitting to their choice of factory rifle.

Stocks will be Keppeler units from Germany.

The INCH action in Steel is a rear locking action. There is a front locking action to be made with the action body in Aluminium - to be announced in 2009. Before people get all out of shape about "rear locking actions", let me discuss this action:

Mr Robert Chombart has been designing rifle actions for well over 30 years - starting with the infamous "Swing" in the late 1960's. The "CG" identifier is well know around the world with names such as; Millenium, RPA, Swing, Paramount, CG 2000 etc.

The INCH action is nothing like any other rear locking action that has come before it, thereby killing the old (ancient) idea of the "rear locking action" being a bad thing. This usually means bolt compression, and thereby case stretching.

Where does the idea of case stretching come from????? Mostly from SMLE 303's, being rear locking actions. The INCH action weighs in the vicinity of 1.5 kilos, whereas the SMLE weighs probably 1/3 that. Apart from the weight, the INCH is made in high allow steel (35NCD16), which is a vast improvement on the steel used in the SMLE in any version, and a long way in front of actions made from 4140 material.

The INCH action was instigated to make improvements on all the previous designs from the CG desk - sort of a culmination of the last 30 years of CG....

Pricing at this point around the AU$1,800 mark incl GST. Factory rifle we hope to be less than AU$4,000 less sights, but ready to shoot.

Hope this helps.

I will be happy to answer technical questions about the action, and can have Mr Chombart answer any other questions if need be.

So far, we have invested about AU$200k, so we are serious about doing this properly. People that know me personally, know I have no time for BS. If I did not believe fully in this design, I would not have invested in it.

Aubrey

Re: The INCH action

#4 Postby Aubrey » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 pm

Rod
I'm sure all local and international shooters wish you the very best in this exciting new venture.
Kind regards
Aubrey
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Dave P

#5 Postby Dave P » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Woody_rod,

Can you supply general specs for this action ie will it be available in a long or magnum length ? What is the expected bolt face diameter ?
Ejection port available as either left or right ? Will a left hand action be available ?
If you would prefer to discuss over the phone pm me your number.

cheers
Dave

Triplejim

Re: The INCH action

#6 Postby Triplejim » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Sunny, (and mick l et al)
Mr Robert Chombart has been designing rifle actions for well over 30 years - starting with the infamous "Swing" in the late 1960's. The "CG" identifier is well know around the world with names such as; Millenium, RPA, Swing, Paramount, CG 2000 etc.

Robert has never claimed the design of the Swing and Paramount, perhaps you should correct your above statement.

Mark Hamersley

#7 Postby Mark Hamersley » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:15 pm

G'day Rod

Good to see you on the forum. I first heard about the INCH about a year ago - is the info here still current? :- http://www.topcorp1.com/swing/inchdeltabis.html

Hope to catch up with you again soon, perhaps at the Long Range Champs in September? Do you have a pre-production example on hand for the curious to get their sticky fingers on?

Anyhow, go Woody Engineering!!

best regards

Mark

Woody_rod

#8 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:51 am

triplejim (James),

I am not that up with Roberts previous achievements, I know he had a fair bit to do with the Paramount, and moreso actions after that time. My mistake, hope the world does not come to an end due to my mistake.

Ok, enough tongue in cheek....Thanks Mark for your support, I hope to have have my action back from our AU distributor in another month or so (he is "looking" at it...). I am ordering a stock this week, and hope to have a barrel for it in the near future also. I fully intend to have it ready for the LRC, and at the latest the Queens at Swanbourne.

For everyones benefit, it was Mark Hammersley that got me into rifle shooting in 2006, using his awesome 223R Omark. Now I am mostly into TR, but still play with FS.

Triplejim

#9 Postby Triplejim » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:02 pm

Woody_rod wrote:triplejim,

I am not that up with Roberts previous achievements, I know he had a fair bit to do with the Paramount,

What bit? Accuracy is the name of the game.

Robert Chombart

#10 Postby Robert Chombart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:05 pm

Triplejim wrote:

I am not that up with Roberts previous achievements, I know he had a fair bit to do with the Paramount,

What bit? Accuracy is the name of the game.

Goo Day from Normandy to all,

James,

We are too god friends and I am too much of an old man to race into polemic with you on this suject.
It seem you only have one source and you should review
More off list if you like
Friendly
R.
R.G.C
R.G.C.

Robert Chombart

#11 Postby Robert Chombart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Dave P wrote:Woody_rod,

Can you supply general specs for this action ie will it be available in a long or magnum length ? What is the expected bolt face diameter ?
Ejection port available as either left or right ? Will a left hand action be available ?
If you would prefer to discuss over the phone pm me your number.

cheers
Dave

Dave,
I think I can reply to some of your demands.

Bolt heads are intended to be up to the .338 Lapua Magnum.
Despite the very short bolt travel, cartridges up to the .339 LM can be chamberd.
I believe Woody Eng will start with .223 and .308 case heads, but Russian, WSM are possible.
Cone breech made feeding of any calible-cartridge lenght no problem.
It goes without saying that a Left Hand version will be made quickly, but (personal opinion), the action being primarily intended for long range, and accessorily for Bench Rest, I think the demand will be too lmited dor a model with feeding one side and handling the other will be of too limited a demand and special manufacturing, but this is technically perfectly possible, and demand will decide....
A link offering a full description has already been given in an earlier post.
RGC
R.G.C.

Woody_rod

#12 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:01 am

triplejim,

I hope RC's comments have helped clear up this issue. If people went through any forum, on any subject, there would be an endless list of inaccurate posts.

Woody_rod

#13 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:10 am

An open question to the forum and their associates:

Woody Engineering intends to provide a factory built rifle, not unlike the CG Millenium series from a few years ago. We need stocks to fullfill this requirement, but are having little luck with local or international suppliers.

I find it hard to believe it is so difficult to even get an answer to questions about obtaining stocks for our rifles. Our idea is to provide a choice of timber, composite and aluminium stocks to suit the customers taste (and partly budget probably).

If you, or anyone you know makes, supplies or has anything to do with palma type competition stocks, give them my email and lets talk about getting some here to use. Email: woodyengineering at afarm.com.au

BTW, they need to be a sensible price, so we can provide our rifles at a sensible price.

We will only be interested in suppliers that communicate via email, due to the poor phone reception for mobiles where we are, and the fact we are in a remote location. We dont give out our land line number due to the fact it is also a private residence number.

#14 Postby Guest » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Rod,
See PM.
Barry

Triplejim

#15 Postby Triplejim » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:24 pm

I hope RC's comments have helped clear up this issue. If people went through any forum, on any subject, there would be an endless list of inaccurate posts.

Yes, an endless list. The answer was needle roller bearing.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”