INCH Action

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

#31 Postby Guest » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Hello all,

After much help from various people, particularly Mike Hodder from Burnley Distributors and his gunsmith mate, I now have a rifle to shoot based on the CG INCH action.

Sorry for the impromptu photo in my loungeroom.

The rifle specs are as follows:

Action: CG INCH rear locking action serial 006
Trigger: CG Universal
Barrel: Krieger, match chamber (308 Factory Palma freebore + 0.030"), deep hole crown
Sights: CG by Centra, front 1 MOA click, rear 0.25MOA click. The long front sight extension tube is one of mine, front iris Gehmann adjustable
Stock: Millenium by HHE in New Zealand, with fleXibed system, with beautiful presentation grade Walnut
Bipod: Bipode, design by CG

Not yet fired a shot!!!

When will it be deflowered??
Lets know the results
R.G.C

ozfarm

#32 Postby ozfarm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:34 pm

murray districts PM

i guess :lol:

Woody_rod

#33 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:22 pm

I shot the rifle today to get some basic elevations and wangade data for my new sights. Fired about 15 rounds. SHot very well.

The first official outing in competition will be the long-range championships in two weeks time. The next obviously will be the Queens at the end of September.

Aubrey

#34 Postby Aubrey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:54 am

Woody
Can you post some pics of the bolt in the action - am interested to see how the short-throw bolt matches up with the cheekpiece when extended etc.
Thanks
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Woody_rod

#35 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Hello mate,

Have a look at these:

The first pic shows how much shorter the bolt throw is from the Millenium unit which the stock was made to fit. The cutout in the cheekpiece is what to look at - about 25mm difference in use.

The pic also shows the loading port and where the boltface stops at rearmost travel. The port has been made a bit long - this is a prototype, so is no real drama. The production units have a shorter opening - still long enough to eject a 338 Lapua Magnum case (without the bullet though).

Yes, I will be building a 338 LMag at some stage for the bragging rights :)

Woody_rod

#36 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm

The rifle was shot this weekend. Score was very ordinary, but that will improve with some practice and getting used to the new stock.

Aubrey

#37 Postby Aubrey » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm

Looks good! I'm sure a bit of settling-in will help.
Re ejection port size: needs to eject a loaded 308 round as well - a bit longer than a 338 LM case.
Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Woody_rod

#38 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Aubrey,

Yes, typically, the port is a bit more than 2.80" - the usual length of a full 308 cartridge. I had issue with my Paramount at times, as my rounds were a lot longer than that.

The bolt can be removed from the action without moving the cheekpiece, which is a great thing, as I sometimes forget to raise it or move to the proper position. A round will stay on the end of the bolt when removing it as there is no ejector.

Robert Chombart

#39 Postby Robert Chombart » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:20 pm

Woody_rod wrote:Aubrey,

Yes, typically, the port is a bit more than 2.80" - the usual length of a full 308 cartridge. I had issue with my Paramount at times, as my rounds were a lot longer than that.

The bolt can be removed from the action without moving the cheekpiece, which is a great thing, as I sometimes forget to raise it or move to the proper position. A round will stay on the end of the bolt when removing it as there is no ejector.

Aubrey,

The Bolt travel is 85mm, as is normally the loading port leght. The normal CIP/SAAMI lenght for a .308 round is 72mm.
The .338 Lapua Magnum case is 69,2mm long, and the total cartridge lenght 96,6mm.
The .338 Lapua Magnum case can be easily removed, but the complete round not, and need to be fed 'nose'in'. Eventual removal of a loaded round is easy, as full removal of the bolt is a one-hand operation and, as Woody states, not imterfering with the Cheekpiece settings.
The Winchester Short Magnums are no problem at all. They are much shorter, as their name indicates....
The cone breech allow easy feeding of the smallest.223 and 6BR to the lrgest with no problem.
On the proto Woody is using, the loading port was cut 10mm longer than on the drawing, but this is only esthetical influence, not functional.

I can pass you o, pm demand a complete CIP dimensions list and drawings. Weights 1,5 Mo

R.G.C
R.G.C.

Woody_rod

#40 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:24 pm

I must say it is handy having an expert in the field providing input - even though RC calls himself an amateur.

Robert Chombart

#41 Postby Robert Chombart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:28 am

Woody_rod wrote:I must say it is handy having an expert in the field providing input - even though RC calls himself an amateur.

Yes, Rod, I consider myself as am amateur...Who simply take serious matters as they nedd to be taken.....

R.G.C.
R.G.C.

Woody_rod

#42 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Rifle now has 335 rounds on it, two weeks and one competition later.

littlebang556

Woody and the Inch

#43 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:32 pm

By now I suspect Woody is bunked down beside his new lathe to enable early starts on machining many Inch actions. Would explain why he has been so quiet of late...now there's a 1st.

Seriously though Woody, how many inches have you played with.

Looking forward to seeing a few of them around the traps.

Cheers

Robert Chombart

Re: Woody and the Inch

#44 Postby Robert Chombart » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:00 am

littlebang556 wrote:By now I suspect Woody is bunked down beside his new lathe to enable early starts on machining many Inch actions. Would explain why he has been so quiet of late...now there's a 1st.

Seriously though Woody, how many inches have you played with.

Looking forward to seeing a few of them around the traps.

Cheers

Rob,

He is effectively very busy...I could reply, but prefer to let him tell the good news....
R.G.C
R.G.C.

Woody_rod

#45 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:29 am

Have a minor issue with our CNC lathe, but will soon resolve this. Hope to be making actions in the next few weeks.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”