New Formulation Short Scrub Solvent

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

New Formulation Short Scrub Solvent

#1 Postby Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Firstly let me emphasis that I do not have shares in Gnome Accessories nor do I have a supply of solvent for life ( free ) but I think that when somebody produces a good thing in this country a little praise doesn't hurt.
Tom lowndes approached me some weeks ago and asked me if I would evaluate a new formulation of his " Short Scrub "
Being a "short scrub " user since it's inception I agreed---and I AM particular as to what I clean my barrels with.
I really thought that my barrels were as clean as I could get but using this new formulation proved to me that they were not.
There is a notable difference in the " smoothness " of the barrels after using the new formulation, and to me this indicates a cleaner barrel. It won't remove copper as quickly as Sweets or some other solvents as it is basically a powder solvent, but it does remove copper after soaking for a short time.
It's not on the market yet ( unfortunately) but when available it's well worth a visit to compare with what you may be using now.
Good one Lowndsie.
Barry

Surgeon

#2 Postby Surgeon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 pm

I also had the oportunity to test out a sample product from Tom Lowndes ,
to which I also am not receiving anything for free or related in any way!
I found that my Hart benchrest barrels that I previously thought were free from powder fouling were most positively not after using this solution .
but the most interesting point of the cleaning exercise was that the first shot from a clean barrel was noticeably closer to the group than before .
ie: The clean barrel previously would print always low to the left but after using this product the first shot was waterline less than a bullet diameter away .
I will continue using this product until I am satisfied that these results will continue in the same manner ..
Ps: The barrel is certainly smoother as Barry says , so it must be removing all traces of sharp edge carbon .. and I might add it removes moly and carbon rather quickly from my casenecks ..
Fred Lawler

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:40 am

Barry & Surgeon
have you bore scoped the barrel to see how clean it is ??

#4 Postby Guest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:48 am

Richard.
I don't have access to a but bore scope but I believe Fred has.
No Question that my barrels are cleaner. Did a test, as I was not sure that the progressive Black was not coming from the bronze brush. I cleaned using my usual technique and then scrubbed again using a new brush--result more black. Repeated the procedure using another new brush --result less black, again using another new brush--result a trace of black. It was coming from the barrel, no doubt. Finally I could get no more black from the barrel. Since properly cleaning this barrel, one application with scrubbing is all that is necessary.
Overall result is smaller groups and truer clean barrel 1st shot--all because the barrel is now 100% clean to start with.
Barry

RAVEN

#5 Postby RAVEN » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:25 pm

Sounds Good to me Barry
Cheers
RB

ozfarm

#6 Postby ozfarm » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:16 pm

been asking at the wara shop for the new short scrub & it aint appearing on the shelves

apparently its coming

any news on supply issues??

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Tom Lowndes (Gnome Accessories)_is having a health battle at present. So that may be why production/distribution is being held up. I was given a small bottle of the new formula on the weekend - it was one of several donated by Tom to the Castlemaine Prize Meeting.

Alan

ozfarm

#8 Postby ozfarm » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 am

if tommy is sick

then i shall wait patiently until he is better

Tom Lowndes

Solvent

#9 Postby Tom Lowndes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:34 am

The new Solvent is heading to WARA today.

SARA has a small amount at this stage.

The VRA and NSWRA also have it in stock.

Our esteemed webmaster is also using it.

Tom

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:18 pm

And it works very well Tom, quicker and better than any other powder solvent I have tried. BTW have you got one suitable for getting rid of spam on websites?

Alan

Noel Lewis

Re: New Formulation Short Scrub Solvent

#11 Postby Noel Lewis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 am

I too found that you get plenty of black out of the barrel. One barrel was still producing heaps of black after 40 goes. Then I tried carbon remover and nothing happened at all. I emailed Bore_Tech_Inc_Customer_Service <Bore_Tech_Inc_Customer_Service@boretech.com> and they said if this happens then there is either no carbon there to remove or the Bore Scrub contains aluminium oxide. I rang the number on the bottle, 02 6024 5536 but no answer, just a recorded mesaage from a woman. So does it contain AO?

Noel

pfc15

#12 Postby pfc15 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Noel,

Tom passed away some years ago, so I don't know if you will get an answer from his wife. I don't even know if it is still being made.

All the best

John S

#13 Postby John S » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Short scrub solvent is still available through the Victorian Rifle Association store in 200ml bottles for $15. I have been using the latest formulation for about 5 years or so and find it excellent.

Cheers

John S

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:15 pm

John S wrote:Short scrub solvent is still available through the Victorian Rifle Association store in 200ml bottles for $15. I have been using the latest formulation for about 5 years or so and find it excellent.

Cheers

John S

I'll second that.

williada

#15 Postby williada » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Rang VRA today, they don't have any and can't say if it will be produced again.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”