Auspod release

Suppliers - have a new product or service to announce? Shooters - have a question or suggestion for a Supplier?

Moderator: Mod

Pommy Chris

Auspod release

#1 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Ok leg part we were waiting on is almost ready, first batch will be (fingers crossed) ready on Friday.
Doing some maths and talking to the stores that will stock them price will be a little higher than hoped but cutting us to the bone it will be A$420. I was hoping to get these out for less but it is just not possible as the carbon fiber is costing more than I thought. Also may have to increase the price a little later on, maybe after Christmas as margin is very small indeed.
Anyway to recap bipod has rear facing elevation wand (just elevation) and later there will be an optional extra that clamps to left or right leg for easier windage adjustment. Bipod weight (without extra handle) is 460g and it is very stiff indeed. The Auspod has coned bearings so they can be tightened up to remove any play that may occur. It is constructed mainly of carbon fiber and aluminium. I was hoping to have a picture to post today, but the new leg part were not ready so picture will be Thursday or Friday when the first batch is put together. Pics will be posted here on this thread and I will email those who have asked me for a pic too. Please pm me if you want details sent directly.
Kind regards
Chris

RDavies

Re: Auspod release

#2 Postby RDavies » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 am

I look forwards to seeing some pics with the windage adjusters fitted.

Pommy Chris

#3 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 am

RDavies wrote:I look forwards to seeing some pics with the windage adjusters fitted.

Hi Rod,
It wont be in the first pic as we are concentrating on getting the bipod finished, but it will be coming soon. Basically it is a handle that attaches to either left or right leg. We tested one about 6 inches long and it works great. The idea for it came about as saw a shooter adjust the elevation with the elevation wand, then with other hand reach forward to the foot of the bipod and adjust windage moving the foot of the bipod, ie moving his position which is what we wanted to avoid. The handle which you can fit to either leg gives an easy way to move the bipod left and right and maintain shooting position whilst keeping bipod light. Some shooters dont need this handle, but I personally prefer to have it when I shoot so going to do it as an option. Handle is a recent thing we just tested the idea and it works, now we need to design a production version so the handle will still be a few weeks away for sure.
Regards
Chris

Pommy Chris

#4 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Here is the first pic, more later :D The mock handle I am holding is what we are thinking for windage handle. We tried a prototype in this position and it worked great, production windage handle will be similar to the one in the pic. Actually on marine carpet with the pictured rifle it is possible to adjust windage with the elevation arm. There are two types, one with quick release pins and one with screws, the one with screws is 425g!!!! :D The one with quick release pins is 445g!!! so lighter than I thought :D
More pics later.download/file.php?mode=view&id=2185
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pommy Chris

#6 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

What I cant a how in the pics is just how solid these are drawing rifle back and forth it is like part of the rifle. The bearings in the rear facing wand mechanism are coned to eliminate play and everything is done with great precision to make the finished product not just very light but seriously solid. The feet for example are specially made to allow ease of windage adjustment. More pics coming, but left my camera on last night so waiting for it to rechange dooh!! With marine carpet you really dont need an extra handle, but being involved with teams I had this in mind and it does allow accurate fast windage adjustment. I am told the American teams are doing the same (ie windage handle) but only found out yesterday so I have not seen it myself.
We have tested these with a very very heavy 300 win mag even with all that weight they remained super solid and did not flex. I am confident that it is virtually impossible to make a biopod lighter and still be super stiff and be still strong. Connection to feet is a special carbon fiber composite as is the headpiece. Even the handle is made of something a bit special.
More later when camera comes back to life.
Chris

ShaneG

#7 Postby ShaneG » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 am

Weight Chris?

Pommy Chris

#8 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 am

ShaneG wrote:Weight Chris?

425g for the one without quick release pins and 445g for one one with the quick release.
Cheers
Chris

Pommy Chris

#9 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Pommy Chris

#10 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Only one left in this batch :D
Chris

Pommy Chris

#11 Postby Pommy Chris » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm

All sold, next batch coming in next weeks.
Cheers
Chris

Brad Y

#12 Postby Brad Y » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:50 am

So the handle in the middle just twists to adjust elevation, and the other handle on one side is for moving the entire gun left or right for wind? How wide do these go?

Pommy Chris

#13 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 am

Just ran a tape over mine and it is 570mm when down. Yes the handle is for elevation and the handle at the side which will be an optional extra will be for windage (already started production of handle :D ).
Wider could be made to a special order for extra cost (more time involved in one off), but we have not seen any advantage in wider with my lighters FTR gun or my heaviest, or even the win mag we have been testing.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=2203
As you can see from the pic the Auspod goes VERY low and maintains stability. The Joypod has never let me down in this respect ie it has gone low enough for all the ranges I have shot and the Auspod goes significantly lower. Height wise the Joypod goes maybe 1cm higher when legs are fully extended touching the top leg caps and the Auspod stil has a good leg spread at its max point (360mm) so still stable. Max height I ever shot my Joypod was at SSAA on concrete flat floor maybe inch from top, but dont get close to this on a range, normally lower range,down at the bottom of extension.
Cheers
Chris

Pommy Chris

#14 Postby Pommy Chris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:48 am

Most scissor type bipods dont go low enough due to the mechanism being in the way, but we went to great extents to make the Auspod go as low as possible. We even cast the bronze bearings so they were exactly as we wanted them and also cast the pins that connect the height adjuster to the legs to ensure we got the last mm of low adjustment.
Chris

Chris S

#15 Postby Chris S » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:10 am

Hi Chris,

Any idea when the next batch of your bipods will be ready for sale?

cheers,
Chris
You can never carry too much ammo...
unless you are drowning or on fire.

Return to “Supplier News and Discussion”