New to bench rest shooting

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

BenWhiting

New to bench rest shooting

#1 Postby BenWhiting » Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Good evening all i have just started bench rest shooting at TMRC and so far im loving im in the process of getting my license and im looking for information on any rifles in .308 that i can use to get started in the sport im left handed but can shoot ambidextrous so can use both left and right action.
If any one has information where i can look to get my first rifle and also anything i should keep away from. Im on a bit of a budget and look for something that wont break the bank i would appreciate any help you can give me as i think i have found something i extremely enjoy

Cutanything

Re: New to bench rest shooting

#2 Postby Cutanything » Tue May 29, 2018 6:59 am

It not the rifle that will break the bank it’s the scope that is the problem for good a scope $2k starting point new :D

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Tue May 29, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the wonderful world of shooting.
You said bench rest shooting is where you are starting, what distances are you planning to shoot?
There will be suitable second hand gear for you to start with but the best advice I can give you is to be patient.
Use the club gear and do your research and then you can make an informed decision on what to get.
Plenty of info on this site too.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

BenWhiting

#4 Postby BenWhiting » Tue May 29, 2018 9:13 am

Hi tim ive shot at 300m and 500m so far i plan on taking it back to the 900m mark as long distance shooting is where i would like to be im using club rifles at the moment in both .223 and .308 both fantastic rifles the plan is to eventually shot in f open im in no rush as to buying anything yet im more so interested in information on actions like barnard and omark as ive researched them for a while now but also open to other suggestions on what others use and find to be good actions i have spoken to a few amazing shooters such as terry sheedy who recently placed second in the queens for f open and i have picked his brain for information such a knowledgeable man but im happy to learn everything i can so i can pursue my hobby of shooting

BenWhiting

#5 Postby BenWhiting » Tue May 29, 2018 9:16 am

Cutanything that is so true im looking at a nightforce br 12-42×56 and brand new a easy $4000 but well worth it in my opinion

BillB

#6 Postby BillB » Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 pm

12x42x56 Nightforce go to Magnum sports not as dear as you think

BenWhiting

#7 Postby BenWhiting » Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Magnum sports what are they asking for them there

Cutanything

#8 Postby Cutanything » Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Night force comp will set you $3200 from memory . I was lucky enough to get nightforce 8-32 bench rest on left hand Omark For $1850
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BillB

#9 Postby BillB » Wed May 30, 2018 8:56 am

Magnum have 12x42x56 BR around 1850

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Might I suggest a phone call to forum sponsors CRM gunsports. They helped me into a new nightforce competition scope a few years back. Great price and great service for a customer that was on the opposite side of the country. I would highly recommend the NF competition scope, its what a hell of a lot of f class shooters use across the world

Old Trev-39

#11 Postby Old Trev-39 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Ben,
Come out to the TMRC range Saturday morning. We will be shooting 1000yd. B/R. followed by the 600yd. B/R. afterwards. You can pick our brains.
Cheers,
Trevor.

ShaneG

#12 Postby ShaneG » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 am

Brad Y wrote:Might I suggest a phone call to forum sponsors CRM gunsports. They helped me into a new nightforce competition scope a few years back. Great price and great service for a customer that was on the opposite side of the country. I would highly recommend the NF competition scope, its what a hell of a lot of f class shooters use across the world

Thanks Brad, we attempt to be competitive wherever possible. Unfortunately some wholesalers give the big guys discounts we can't access?
We are a Nightforce dealer and have been for over 10 years. Along with Swarovski and just recently Kahles.
Looking forward to assessing the Kahles 10-50 MOAK soon?
Several people here will know I am an experienced F Class competitor starting about 10 years ago in an attempt to read wind for long range rabbits in NZ!
A lot of the people you will talk to in the big shops rarely have much actual trigger time let alone competition experience.
IMHO the NF Comp is still currently the benchmark for our game allowing much more mirage detail than others available.
It was the the main attribute yesterday at Wangetti Range,600M enabling me to shoot a 60 in the second relay with mild conditions but very quick 1/2 to 1 moa gusting changes! The scope told the true story as to what was happening in those sudden changes.
And I have owned NF BR [probably still the most reliable?] ; NF NXS 12-42; March 8-80 and FFP 5-40; S&B 10-50; Leupold Mark 4; and I have range assessed the Vortex GE and Burris FFP 5-40.

BenWhiting

#13 Postby BenWhiting » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Old trev-39 I will be out sunday the 10th as i work some Saturdays ive been picking brains every time i go john has been very helpful and so has terry sheedy ive learnt alot so far but there is always more to learn im just waiting for my membership and safety certificate to come through so i cam get my application sent off so i have plenty of time to research everything and find out what best suits me im slowly working my way up to the 1000yards so i can consistently get a nice grouping in the v and x and hopefully within time i will be competing in the queens soon

Old Trev-39

#14 Postby Old Trev-39 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi Ben,
The 1000 yd. and 600yd B/R. are not shot every weekend. Down the calendar from the TMRC. site and you will see when we shoot. Terry can certainly give you pointers on long range shooting. The B/R. side is a little different. Hope to see you one Saturday.
Cheers,
Trevor.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”