PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

jasmay

Re: PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

#91 Postby jasmay » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm

flatlina wrote:
jasmay wrote:
KHGS wrote:.

Did you read the alarmist article about the SSAA and the fact they have amassed a multimillion dollar (freehold) land portfolio, from GCA...

Hi,

Can you enlighten me on this comment?

Regards
jb

For the life of me I can not find the GCA article, maybe they deleted it, but here is a similar one.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... N1bfEBeo4C

flatlina

#92 Postby flatlina » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:22 am

A typical emotive article from GCA. As a lot are aware a large proportion of the Membership money is returned to the States and then on to Branches so they can function and to continually improve facilities and services. It would be very sad if SSAA didn't purchase more land to build ranges on as not too many others are in a place to do this. The magazine costs a bit too produce as the NRAA would know. I recently visited a new property that SSAA South Australia has leased and have started building into a 2k Range plus Pistol, Shotgun and Shorter Range setup. This is in the Adelaide hills area.

Regards
john

michaeljp

#93 Postby michaeljp » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:26 pm

I was at a SSAA range about a month ago. A bloke got the bench next to me and start to set up. I didn't take any notice of what he was shooting till he fired his first shot. I was taking aim when he fired. I got a face full of dust and dirt off the bench, "luckily i was wearing safety glasses" and the blast and pressure wave still have my ears ringing since then. I had a go at him about it, and to his credit he didn't shoot that gun whilst he was there.

flatlina

#94 Postby flatlina » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 am

I'm not too sure what the condition of your Range benches are but I've shot and shot along side braked rifles for years and never had that problem. Personally I think this "Muzzle Brake " problem is blown out of all perspective and to be honest a lot is just hearsay.

Regards
jb

Gyro

#95 Postby Gyro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 am

A guy over here started his F Open career with a Remmy 700 chambered in a 300 Dakota and he was a curse to be down beside. And he didn't have a brake. Tell ya what it took him a couple of seasons to get over the flinch he developed from using it ! Just saying ...

scott/r

#96 Postby scott/r » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 pm

flatlina wrote:I'm not too sure what the condition of your Range benches are but I've shot and shot along side braked rifles for years and never had that problem. Personally I think this "Muzzle Brake " problem is blown out of all perspective and to be honest a lot is just hearsay.

Regards
jb

The constant ringing in my right ear begs to differ. The result of a 300wm with a break, off the bench next to me at belmont ssaa nearly 4 years ago.
While I'm not totally against them, I will never shoot beside one ever again.
Scott

flatlina

#97 Postby flatlina » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm

One of the problems is that people spend up big on their rifles etc but then use cheaparse ear protection or foam plugs. I use a variety of Electronic muffs and also have moulded ear plugs that I sometimes wear when pistol shooting. We have to remember that all rifles etc are noisy and it is part and parcel of visiting a Range.

Regards
john

daj

#98 Postby daj » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:24 pm

scott/r wrote:
flatlina wrote:I'm not too sure what the condition of your Range benches are but I've shot and shot along side braked rifles for years and never had that problem. Personally I think this "Muzzle Brake " problem is blown out of all perspective and to be honest a lot is just hearsay.

Regards
jb

The constant ringing in my right ear begs to differ. The result of a 300wm with a break, off the bench next to me at belmont ssaa nearly 4 years ago.
Scott

A couple of years ago I did some sound pressure level recording at NARC - not with a certified instrument but one that was suitable for comparative measurements.
It might surprise you to know that the "loudest" rifles that day were the .303s. They were louder than a 300WSM and louder than my braked .260.
I would be happy to repeat the test for you anytime. :-)

Mick_762

#99 Postby Mick_762 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Bigtravoz wrote: All for the addition of new classes and maybe there could be a separate class shot before or after the main f class shooters have done their thing.

Is the F Class shoot then going to be "before or after" the main TR or FTR shooters?
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Tim N

#100 Postby Tim N » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:38 am

flatlina wrote:One of the problems is that people spend up big on their rifles etc but then use cheaparse ear protection or foam plugs. I use a variety of Electronic muffs and also have moulded ear plugs that I sometimes wear when pistol shooting. We have to remember that all rifles etc are noisy and it is part and parcel of visiting a Range.

Regards
john

FYI
The foam ear plugs are one of the best forms of hearing protection.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

UL1700

#101 Postby UL1700 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

Tim N wrote:FYI
The foam ear plugs are one of the best forms of hearing protection.

They can also be one of the worst if low attenuation plugs are purchased or if they are poorly fitted.

scott/r

#102 Postby scott/r » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm

daj wrote:
scott/r wrote:

Regards
jb

Scott

A couple of years ago I did some sound pressure level recording at NARC - not with a certified instrument but one that was suitable for comparative measurements.
It might surprise you to know that the "loudest" rifles that day were the .303s. They were louder than a 300WSM and louder than my braked .260.
I would be happy to repeat the test for you anytime. :-)

The noise I can handle. It was thump in the side of the head that did the damage. And granted, I did only have foam plugs in, but they were good ones. Now I use plugs and muffs. I didn't totally blame him, I could have done things better as well, but I still won't shoot beside one.
Scott.

daj

#103 Postby daj » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Scott let me demonstrate to you that your fears are unfounded, bearing in mind that we are talking about typical PRS rifle calibers NOT magnums. If you aren't pleasantly surprised I'll buy you a carton of your favourite. :-)

scott/r

#104 Postby scott/r » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:43 pm

:shock: Free whiskey.
Nah just kidding. I never said I didn't like being behind them, just not beside them.
Last edited by scott/r on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philp

#105 Postby Philp » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 pm

scott/r wrote::shock: Free wiskey.
Nah just kidding. I never said I didn't like being behind them, just not beside them.

You get used to them pretty quick. I regularly shoot with two friends who both have one of the the most concussive brakes on the market. I generally shoot between both of them. I don't even notice them at all anymore. The first couple of times maybe, but the first few times hearing a .22 will make people flinch.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”