PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

#1 Postby GSells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm

I went to my first Prs shoot on the weekend and it was as I suspected quite challenging ! 19 shooters rocked up to Dalby , which would be the most shooters we have in a while!

I can see a great area for growth in f class if we are willing to be nice to these new shooters , and show them the newer ones about load development and wind reading .

One thing with Prs is you don't really know where your shots are going when you get blown of target ! I sore shots going really wide at 500 m and they kept going there and the poor shooter didn't know why!

Needless to say they copped a full value 8mph wind when they shot !

Shooting on paper with f class would show that new shooter what happened !

I really believe Prs and f class go in hand and we really need to embrace those shooters that don't mind having a try at f class .

Who knows who we pick up ? Maybe the next ftr or open World Champ !
Or the next club foundations members , that are there every weekend and during the week . Doing all of the hard yards that are usually not noticed .

I started out as a lot of us with a Tac style rifle, so who knows !

Any way a video of the weekend per shoot !

https://www.facebook.com/darlingdownsri ... 588306011/

RDavies

Re: PRS IS COMING , WE HAVE TO EVOLVE !

#2 Postby RDavies » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:31 pm

I am all for welcoming PRS and tactical shooters to join in at club days. Many of them have never heard of F class. The main thing standing in the way is many range dinosaurs would have a heart attack about someone using a muzzle brake during a club F class day, even if they were put on an end target with a baffle plate next to their brake.
There is one range near me though where 2/3rd of the shooters there for Fullbore/F class club days have brake rifles (either hunting rifles or Precision Service Rifles). Without them and the captains modern outlook, that little country range wouldn't be viable to keep going.

SunnyCoast 5r

#3 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm

It does look like fun! Thanks for the update.
Many of us probably have a few rifles in the safe that would be suitable. Maybe a split comp where you start on paper/ETs then do the PRS stages might work to support shooters in both disciplines?
Looks like a road trip to Dalby is on the cards! Anyone need a lift from the Sunny Coast / Gympie region?
Just a quick question: can I use my muzzle brake at Dalby?

SunnyCoast 5r

#4 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 pm

Just watched the video and noticed the muzzle brakes...oops.

GSells

#5 Postby GSells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Just watched the video and noticed the muzzle brakes...oops.

Muzzle brakes are fine on the PRS side . The Prs starts at 8 am and then f class is on the full bore side at 12- 12:30 . No brakes on the full bore range ! They must be removed or disabled as some can be . As per Ssr rules under f open ,ftr or f standard ! This was descided at an impromtu meeting .

GSells

#6 Postby GSells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 pm

I might also add to , it's currently $10 which will cover as of writing this , the PRS shoot and f open or TR shooting for the day !
That's $5 per shoot !

SunnyCoast 5r

#7 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Sounds good Graham: I was thinking of using my 223 with a removable brake anyway (feels like shooting a 22mag).
Not sure I can make the next one but I’m committed to at least having a go this year.
Even better if I can shoot FClass in the arvo.

GSells

#8 Postby GSells » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Sounds good Graham: I was thinking of using my 223 with a removable brake anyway (feels like shooting a 22mag).
Not sure I can make the next one but I’m committed to at least having a go this year.
Even better if I can shoot FClass in the arvo.

Yep I can't make the Easter shoot , but with one every month now , I reckon I finally get some of you to my home range ! I've always wanted to hold an opm here so people can experience this range . It can be challenging !

There are great facilities there , so who knows maybe camping there as well later on ?

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm

GSells wrote:
SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Just watched the video and noticed the muzzle brakes...oops.

Muzzle brakes are fine on the PRS side . The Prs starts at 8 am and then f class is on the full bore side at 12- 12:30 . No brakes on the full bore range ! They must be removed or disabled as some can be . As per Ssr rules under f open ,ftr or f standard ! This was descided at an impromtu meeting .
The other option a club can use is like some clubs do. If they turn up with a brake and shoot on the end target, they don’t officially get scored, they just share the range at the same time. They aren’t shooting F class, they are just shooting on F class targets at the same time that we are.

GSells

#10 Postby GSells » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:59 am

Rod , your comment about the range dinasours and muzzle brakes has a bit of truth in it ! Hence the comment of “ we must Evolve “ a little bit at least !

But Rod , I wish u could have there on the weekend , very fast and shooting in all sorts of positions!
Like the last stage was 105 sec 8 rounds . I only have 5 round mag so a mag change in the middle of wind reading etc .
You can only hold over with this stage and for wind . There was about 6-7 mph wind going from 1:30-3 o’clock. So at 500 m it was .5-.6 mills hold off and about half that at 300 m.
So 2 shots at 300 , then 2 shots at 500 m . Then shoot the same weak side . All prone on that stage !
Needless to say , I stuffed the weak side shooting lol!

Matt P

#11 Postby Matt P » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 am

Yeah those muzzle brakes are very scary !!! Some of you F Class shooters are starting to sound like the dinosaurs Rod's talking about.
The only part of the SSR's that you can't change are rules that concern safety or range standing orders !!!!!
You could include a muzzle brake class at the Queens if you wanted to, there was recently a Club in Victoria that catered for PRS style guns at their TR/FC OPM, I believe attendance was very good.
We (NRAA movement) need to be much more open to change and be more inviting to other forms of shootings and rifles, we only have around 7000 member across Australia and we're losing them quicker than they're being replaced. If we don't open our minds where will we be in 5 years ????
Matt P

DenisA

#12 Postby DenisA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 am

600 and 1000y International BR are NRAA disciplines which specifically allow muzzle brakes in Light Gun. So if muzzle brakes are allowed on NRAA ranges for one NRAA discipline why can the rules not be adjusted to suit others and allow membership growth.

GSells

#13 Postby GSells » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am

While we are at it . Can anyone please explain this new ruling and chapter 16?
Rule 16.1.3 – Allows Muzzle Brakes for Competitions under Chapter 16 only.

Pete

#14 Postby Pete » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:10 pm

Congratulations to Dalby and its members for their successful PRS style match. It is refreshing to see a more enlightened outlook regarding different disciplines, this can only be beneficial in the keeping of our ranges viable. The NRAA REALLY need to get over the muzzle brake issue and as Rod said, just place them down the end of the range or whatever, it can all be worked out. Matt's point regarding the rules is spot on, they are only a rule until replaced with a new and more realistic one, so why doesn't this happen?
Seriously, the NRAA wants to keep the sport faithful to its origins, well you can keep doing this and then at your leisure read about it in the books, because chances are the ranges will not have the capital to be run anymore....
Pete

Bigtravoz

#15 Postby Bigtravoz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:48 pm

As someone who has seen muzzle brakes in action I can see what the issue is with them, I am far from a dinosaur and am all for trying to get people involved in the sport. The problem with a muzzle brake is how they create blowback in a lateral fashion, on a dry mound this is quite an issue as the dust that is kicked up goes sideways across the mound. Not just dust either in the case of large caliber rifles. I am sure that if you turned up to a range and joe blogs with his $2000 dollar factory rifle started throwing sand dirt and rocks at you and your $10000+ custom action rifle and scope you too wouldn’t be very happy about it. All for the addition of new classes and maybe there could be a separate class shot before or after the main f class shooters have done their thing.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”