F-PR (F – Precision Rifle) NZ

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

20BR

F-PR (F – Precision Rifle) NZ

#1 Postby 20BR » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 pm

Hi all, my first time posting here, I have been around F-Class for about 17 years. Over here in little old New Zealand we have recently introduced a new NZ F-Class Division called F-PR (F–Precision Rifle). This has been approved by the National Rifle Association of New Zealand (NRANZ). We are seeing our club membership and participation in F-Class growing as a result. In some clubs this has been very significant!

This caters for the large interest we are seeing at club level from shooters wanting to learn long range shooting with precision rifles. The 2019 NZ semi-auto confiscation has had the effect of many firearms owners putting their 'compensation' funds in to the plethora of precision rifles, chassis systems, heavy barrelled actions now available off the shelf; e.g. AICS, MDT, MPA, Ruger PR, Seekins Havak, Howa 1500, Tikka T3xTAC/CTR, Bergara B-14HMR etc. The rules were established to align with the configuration of a typical PRS or precision match rifle. Actual shooting(prone) and scoring (ICFRA Targets) is as per F-TR and F-Open.

We figure this is one of the best ways to bring (many!) people to our sport.

F-PR Rules
A. Rifles shall not exceed a calibre of .308 inch
B. Barrel length shall not exceed 715 mm (28.15 inches) measured from the bolt-face to the muzzle. Barrel length excludes the length of a suppressor if used.
C. The rifle and ammunition combination used must be capable of maintaining projectiles velocities above the speed of sound from the firing point to the target.
D. Rifle weight with bolt, bipod, suppressor, scope and magazine* (*if detachable) shall not exceed 9.6kgs.
E. Any rifle scope may be employed
F. The action and the stock shall possess a magazine cut-out
G. Rifle can be fired from either a bipod or from a bag placed under the forestock.
H. The width of the forestock shall not exceed 66mm (2.6 inches).
I. Bipods must be of a commercial folding leg design (e.g. Harris, Atlas, Accu-Tac, Ckye-Pod or other similar commercial design). Bipod spikes are permitted. Other forms of front rests, joy-stick style bipods (ie SEB joypod), and mechanical front rests are not permitted.
J. A rear bag or rear mono pod may be used.
K. Suppressors are allowed. Muzzle brakes are not permitted.
L. Triggers are to comply with ICFRA rules F2.11, F2.12 & F2.13
M. Ammo muzzle energy level shall conform with NRANZ range limits
N. Use of Magazines. Some rifles may require the use of a magazine. Magazines may only be used as a loading platform. Ammunition is not to be fitted into the magazine for multiple round firing capabilities.
O. Rifle: May be built around any manually loaded action designed to safely fire permitted cartridges.

Rich4

Re: F-PR (F – Precision Rifle) NZ

#2 Postby Rich4 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:38 am

Sounds like a great initiative, allows prs rifles to shoot within the current program without penalising themselves =D>

Barry Davies

#3 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:51 pm

Makes heaps more sense than any new suggestions I have seen of recent times.
I can just hear the negatives -- Another discipline!! More trophies and badges!! blah blah.
Look at the positives -- potential increase in memberships, potential increase in PM attendances.
Same targets, same ammo just different rifles.

williada

#4 Postby williada » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:26 pm

I like the blah, blah Bazza. The older you get the less important the gongs are.

Gyro

#5 Postby Gyro » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:41 pm

I very much like the whole idea too, even from it's inception but I do worry some may want to put their rifle over a day pack for a 'front rest' ? A day pack that just happens to be well packed.

Rich4

#6 Postby Rich4 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:06 pm

:lol: Just make them carry it from the car park

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:49 pm

I like the bit about suppressors being allowed but not the bit about muzzle brakes not being allowed.

Rich4

#8 Postby Rich4 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:14 pm

Having just tried a muzzle brake for the first time :shock: I’m not sure they’re worth the pain

cheech

#9 Postby cheech » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Rich4 wrote:Sounds like a great initiative, allows prs rifles to shoot within the current program without penalising themselves =D>

This is the exact group to harness , on our range we have encouraged these guys for quite a while now and I’d say better than the factory hunter /sporter class as they don’t turn up after 500yards .

F- PR is a good addition these rifles perform well but I’d use the 5 V bull target scoring .

:D

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”