SSAA newbie: some thoughts

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

SunnyCoast 5r

SSAA newbie: some thoughts

#1 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:07 pm

After driving past North Arm RC for 16 years to get to the SSAA range I finally booked in for a shoot in July. Joined up in September. Everyone has been very friendly; the advice I have received has been fantastic; and the level of competition is robust. The shoot last weekend was very enjoyable (but humbling!). Met some genuinely good people and was in awe of the skill level.

Some thoughts:

DenisA is on the right track re: getting more shooters involved. Guys like me are driving past and we need to attract them or our club will not survive (it might be a while before we reach a critical point, and I hope all the wonderful members enjoy good health and make it to 100+, but the existing member demographics do not equal a sustainable sport).

FTR is a good class to attract new members into particularly if we could get the numbers to begin a grading system (seems to work in F Std).

FTR bipod rules are silly. When I saw the car-jack-with-joystick and twin, adjustable vertical leg styles for the first time I nearly laughed but did not want to offend the shooters. No hunter/SSAA plinker is going to accept that such outrageous devices are fair dinkum. Perhaps we might need to change the rule internationally to help us locally. Folding, 'Harris' style might be a more acceptable amendment (any seconders?).

FTR weight limits are silly. Too heavy.

FTR is easier for clubs to promote (and locally modify with informal comp within comp formats) as all of the SSRs are already gaining acceptance. Remember always that existing members are in the club to shoot rifles not run new classes for others. When new members get the chance/bug to try other classes and perhaps migrate to F Std or FO or TR we will already have made them aware of the basics of the sport. SSAA guys have LRP already so to get new members we need a point of difference.

FO is silly but I am mesmerised by it. The Formula 1 car of shooting: extravagant; engineering marvels; out of the box (Cam's barrel accessory with O rings!!); innovative; and stunningly accurate. Wow. Shame I own the v8 ute of rifles...

Promote the sport not the sub-class/rule book. All sporting clubs seem to get tangled in this one. Passionate, long-term members will see many changes but it's still shooting over amazing distances.

Get the tactical guys onboard (aren't most muzzle brakes removable?). Maybe we can get the Call of Duty players to try out the real thing and sustain our sport (electronic targets...we are already looking a bit Xbox). Anyone who has paid big coin to get a tac rifle should be an asset to our clubs if they follow the rules on the mound. Does a camo stock look any more confronting than some of the metal/alloy jobs?

We should all stop wearing camo to the range. Disassociate the shooters from conflict and get our image to be of sportspeople (please don't inundate the thread with golf references).

Thanks for reading.

DannyS

Re: SSAA newbie: some thoughts

#2 Postby DannyS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Interesting post, lots of reads, no replies. Silly, that we use the gear we use?, silly to use SEB front rests, silly to shoot F open?

Stupid, to expect to use a Harris bipod and expect to be competitive. Don't drive a mini and be silly enough to want to drive in formula 1.

Someone had to say it.

Cheers Danny. #-o #-o #-o
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

SunnyCoast 5r

#3 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Just to clarify...I do think using a $600+ SEB Joy-pod BIPOD is a bit extravagant in the context of attracting new members to FTR. This is the class that has the potential to attract shooters with entry level rifles to try long range target shooting.
Is this forum thread not about "Growing F Class"?
Love the mini gibe btw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim L

#4 Postby Tim L » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:40 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:Just to clarify...I do think using a $600+ SEB Joy-pod BIPOD is a bit extravagant in the context of attracting new members to FTR. This is the class that has the potential to attract shooters with entry level rifles to try long range target shooting.
Is this forum thread not about "Growing F Class"?
Love the mini gibe btw.

I think there is a difference between growing F class and changing it to something that may be more popular. F Open and F TR are defined by a set of internationally agreed rules. Bar a few changes to F Open rear rests, the Australian "SSR's" keep us pretty close to that definition.

If we're to start imposing more local changes, we are simply going to create another Australian oddity like F Std.

SunnyCoast 5r

#5 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Good points Tim.

Popular might be handy though...but I do think FTR is the way to get SSAA converts to FClass.

SunnyCoast 5r

#6 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:21 pm

And for smaller clubs (how many shooting regularly down your way DannyS...6?) growth may be a saviour.

.248WIN

#7 Postby .248WIN » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:23 pm

saum2

#8 Postby saum2 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:49 pm

SunnyCoast 5r wrote:After driving past North Arm RC for 16 years to get to the SSAA range I finally booked in for a shoot in July. Joined up in September. Everyone has been very friendly; the advice I have received has been fantastic; and the level of competition is robust. The shoot last weekend was very enjoyable (but humbling!). Met some genuinely good people and was in awe of the skill level.

Some thoughts:

DenisA is on the right track re: getting more shooters involved. Guys like me are driving past and we need to attract them or our club will not survive (it might be a while before we reach a critical point, and I hope all the wonderful members enjoy good health and make it to 100+, but the existing member demographics do not equal a sustainable sport).

FTR is a good class to attract new members into particularly if we could get the numbers to begin a grading system (seems to work in F Std).

FTR bipod rules are silly. When I saw the car-jack-with-joystick and twin, adjustable vertical leg styles for the first time I nearly laughed but did not want to offend the shooters. No hunter/SSAA plinker is going to accept that such outrageous devices are fair dinkum. Perhaps we might need to change the rule internationally to help us locally. Folding, 'Harris' style might be a more acceptable amendment (any seconders?).

FTR weight limits are silly. Too heavy.

FTR is easier for clubs to promote (and locally modify with informal comp within comp formats) as all of the SSRs are already gaining acceptance. Remember always that existing members are in the club to shoot rifles not run new classes for others. When new members get the chance/bug to try other classes and perhaps migrate to F Std or FO or TR we will already have made them aware of the basics of the sport. SSAA guys have LRP already so to get new members we need a point of difference.

FO is silly but I am mesmerised by it. The Formula 1 car of shooting: extravagant; engineering marvels; out of the box (Cam's barrel accessory with O rings!!); innovative; and stunningly accurate. Wow. Shame I own the v8 ute of rifles...

Promote the sport not the sub-class/rule book. All sporting clubs seem to get tangled in this one. Passionate, long-term members will see many changes but it's still shooting over amazing distances.

Get the tactical guys onboard (aren't most muzzle brakes removable?). Maybe we can get the Call of Duty players to try out the real thing and sustain our sport (electronic targets...we are already looking a bit Xbox). Anyone who has paid big coin to get a tac rifle should be an asset to our clubs if they follow the rules on the mound. Does a camo stock look any more confronting than some of the metal/alloy jobs?

We should all stop wearing camo to the range. Disassociate the shooters from conflict and get our image to be of sportspeople (please don't inundate the thread with golf references).

Thanks for reading.

Ok, some clarification; Re FTR, a seb joypod is not a compulsory piece of equipment, a Harris bipod may be ok for club shoots or if it complies with the rules.
FTR weight is silly, too heavy, 8.25Kg. OK this is the maximum rifle weight allowed including scope, bipod, bolt etc. If you can be happy shooting under the 8.25kgs, go for it using any weight .223 or .308 projectile, choice of clothing is not for discussion.
If your rifle is under the max weight for FTR , make a statement on the mound. Nobody minds what it looks like, just as long as it complies with the rules.
And last of all, sorry no more changing FTR rules we have just got the class going in Australia.

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:23 am

Rebel105 wrote: And last of all, sorry no more changing FTR rules we have just got the class going in Australia.

As much as reformatting to fit our SSR layout allows, F/TR rules reflect ICFRA rules exactly & so will only change four yearly as ICFRA rules are voted on during the Worlds.

bsouthernau

#10 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 am

johnk wrote: .... F/TR rules reflect ICFRA rules exactly & so will only change four yearly as ICFRA rules are voted on during the Worlds.

As long as the NRAA keeps up and it's not noted for rapid response. We had the situation just prior to the national teams matches where the SSRs were a cut and paste of the previous iteration of the ICFRA rules thereby meaning that spiked plates were still allowed. I don't remember the exact number but it was only a matter of days before the competition that this was rectified.

Rather than cutting and pasting every four years forever wouldn't it be more sensible to say "F/TR will be conducted under the ICFRA rules current at the time". Full stop! If there do happen to be valid reasons for local variations we could say "Notwithstanding the above ......" and list the changes.

Barry

plumbs7

#11 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:50 pm

Hi Sunnycoast , I get where u r coming from . And I think it is where Dennis is coming from with a club class only of factory rifles , 5 ring target etc . Can't u where your ghillie suit on the range ! Whaat ! Nobody told me!! Haha!

I am yet to successfully convert a new member to our club ! Still trying ! A lot of interest but people finding time and money seems to be an issue!

In saying that , we welcome hunters and newbies and yes it's hard work ," Easy to be nothing but hard to be something!" My journey is nearly 10 yrs in and by far I'm not , the best shot around . I think NorthArm proved that!

But yes we must help new people as much as we can . If they turn up with a tac gun with a break . Don't turn them away but accomodate them by putting them on the mound safe enough distance or screening . As they get the bug they will change to std or Ftr etc . I think what would scare anyone is a rules Nazi as soon as a newbie steps on the mound . Of course health and safety are paramount but really ! We must be carefull !

SunnyCoast 5r

#12 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm

Yeh Plumbs7 we all just want to get some pills down range AND have a range open into the future.
Hopefully we can just progress in small steps over the next 5-10 years and bring the majority of existing members with us. Denis was brave to put his motion up.
I have a young bloke I used to teach headed your way...I will get him to look you up and have a shot.
BTW I like wearing my 5.11 tac pants...just didn't buy the camo ones!
See you at North Arm - the weather is great.

plumbs7

#13 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:51 am

I hate NorthArm ! Lol!

scott/r

#14 Postby scott/r » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:29 pm

Sounds like you need a hug Graham. But you'll have to come to north arm to get it. :D

Barossa_222

#15 Postby Barossa_222 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:04 pm

We recently had a new guy turn up to our club with a fully tacticool Savage 300 win mag. Whipped the brake off it and got him on the mound and he's doing quite well. If you can get them there, you really need to do all you can to help them get shooting. Getting them there repeatedly seems to be the biggest challenge. I don't think gear is the problem, or even cost of gear. It seems to be more about making them feel part of it and not an outsider and just helping as much as you can. If they get the bug then you can point them down a price conscious path for their gear and go from there.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”