Newbie Friendly Ranges Perth, WA

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Justlikemusic

Newbie Friendly Ranges Perth, WA

#1 Postby Justlikemusic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello I am looking into getting into this sport and I would like to know of any newbie friendly ranges in Perth WA or it's surrounds. I am located in Mandurah so anywhere from Yarloop to North of River, perhaps even Bindoon. I've contacted a few places so far and it seems that it's too difficult for me to join. I've made some enquiries so far and these were the results:

1. No response to two emails
2. Emailed back saying fill the membership form and send back the money and you can join
3. Said someone would contact me and no one has called me so far

So I have been shooting at my local range for over five months now and am an SSAA member with open licence for my 22LR, 223 and 308 and I am looking to find somewhere I can mount my scope on my rifle and shim it to the correct height etc. It's been my experience with my 22 that people get VERY impatient when they are waiting on you to shoot so if I could attend prior to a shoot, or some free range time I'd be happy to pay someone for the assistance (maybe $100? for an hour or so to get everything setup).

In contrast, at my current club... I emailed the secretary and he sent an email back that day saying to call him. I called him that afternoon and he said come down on Saturday and he would introduce me and even let me shoot the club gun in a field rifle comp. Great experience.

Brad Y

Re: Newbie Friendly Ranges Perth, WA

#2 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi mate

If you were a bit further south you would have already spoken to someone from my club (busso) We are a very strong F class club and have been for a number of years. Sadly our range just on the Busso side of Capel has been closed by the Army until repairs are carried out to the stop butts. At a guess it might be october/november time of year until we are back shooting there. In the mean time we have been shooting at either manjimup or yarloop.

For clubs in that area you have a couple of choices- We have members from the metro area as well as locally (just over 100 total) so your welcome to come along and join us when a group do a travel up to Yarloop. Or there is the yarloop club itself, Boddington or join a metro club- Bassendean Bellvue are a good mob. The metro guys lost their range at Swanbourne too but a new one is being built out at Pinjar way. Not sure when it will be ready for shooting on, but its supposed to be the ducks nuts!

If you want to, send me a pm and we can arrange to meet you on one of our trips up and can do some shooting.

A couple of our members and experienced f class shooters also run the gun shop here in Busso and can help with mounts, scopes etc for setting up your rifles all the way through to building you a new precision rifle on a barnard action and one of their custom made stocks. You can meet them on one of the shooting trips and discuss what your after.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Well done Brad. I was just about to reply with some contact details for the President of WARA! Thought some stirring up of the troops might be in order. I hope you can help JustLikeMusic out. We take allcomers in this sport, even when they have unusual login names :D .

Justlikemusic

#4 Postby Justlikemusic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I've made the call to quit before I start as its just too frustrating having rifles I never shoot and it was just too difficult trying to get range time.
Last edited by Justlikemusic on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#5 Postby AlanF » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 am

Well that's a novel way of getting people to look at your ads - announce you're trying to get into F-Class then 3 hours later say you've changed your mind and would we like to look at your rifles for sale! And the link to the ad doesn't work. Might be better if you stop wasting our time and get back to the music.

Justlikemusic

#6 Postby Justlikemusic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't mean to come across like that. I've removed the link. I really do appreciate your help and comments in this thread but unfortunately my timing for giving it up was a bit sucky.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”