New F-Class open fanatic

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Antony Cave

New F-Class open fanatic

#1 Postby Antony Cave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

First off great forum, I've been going through so many posts and getting heaps of ideas etc for my new build huge kudo's to all of you!!!!!.

It all started a few Sundays ago when I was taking some grass clippings to the local tip (just past the Rosedale range) when I could here the rifle range banging away.....I'm usually not home on weekends (hunting) so I thought bugger it I may as well head on over and check out this long range paper hunting. Immediately everyone there was too keen to give me a crack out of one of their rifles at 600 yds, after shooting quite well I thought this may be the answer for a bit of practise. One of the guy's there was heading to the Lang Lang OPM the following weekend, at this stage I was hunting that weekend.
I set out in the following week looking for an F-Class rig. Having just ordered a Remington XCR 11 338 win mag from Howard and Schubacks, I rang Geoff and changed my order to a Remington Sendero in 300 win mag, thinking I could do both hunting and F-class with it.
The Weekend came around and I found myself at home, knowing the Lang Lang shoot was on, so I grabbed the camera and the old boy and I headed over for a look, now I gotta say what a fantastic group of people you all are, all than more willing to answer questions and give advise. Allan F even offered the use of the club rifle to compete with, I declined only because I would not of been able to complete the final 600yd round as we both had prior commitments with Bathurst LOL, plus all I was after for the day was a place to start with the gear required to be competitive.
I came away from the meeting like a fat kid in a candy shop to put it simply, I knew what I had to now do to get into the sport and nothing gets me going more than the thought of building another rifle :D. I am waiting on quotes from 4 smiths to do my work, the rifle will be a 284 win, possibly on a Barnard action, I have a Broughton Barrel on order through RedBack Precision, which will be here around April next year, in the mean time I will most likely get a Tru-Flite barrel sent over from NZ.
I also shot my first club meet at Rosedale on the weekend just gone and came away pretty chuffed using the club gun at 600 yet another great day on the "mound" :) .

Anyways thats it in a nut shell and I can't believe it's taken me this long to find out about this great sport.

See ya's Around
Cavey

P.S The Sendero order is cancelled now haha
Last edited by Antony Cave on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Walker

#2 Postby Sam Walker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Welcome Anthony - lots of know how and good people here . I rarely shoot F Class because the nearest range is 600km away but have always enjoyed it when I can.
Not many hunters here, a few people who get a bit offended by the mention of it...
Sam

Antony Cave

#3 Postby Antony Cave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Sam.

Yeah the age old Hunter and Shooter debacle :roll:
Life is full of suprises, let your trigger break be one of them.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Antony. And yes there's about 7 years of technical discussions here if you're prepared to wade through it. By what you're saying, you've already worked out that when you're starting out in a sport, its better to go with the flow in relation to equipment specs. 284 Win has been pretty much the calibre of choice in recent years in F-Open, and while there's more exotic actions around than Barnards, they just get the job done with no fuss.

We'll look forward to seeing you at Rosedale again. Hopefully your enthusiasm will rub off onto your mate John and of course your dad who has a lot of good knowledge from his BR days. I can tell you that Rosedale is one of the toughest ranges around (was exceptionally gentle on Saturday), but its a very good teacher of wind reading skills.

Alan :D

Antony Cave

#5 Postby Antony Cave » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 pm

I think John is hooked Allan he is ordering the 20 MOA rail and rings as we speak....As for Dad he will come to the dark side, once I start he will join ;)
Life is full of suprises, let your trigger break be one of them.

Norm

#6 Postby Norm » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Anthony,

Looks like you have the bug. I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of the sport.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”