Club structure for the future

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Club structure for the future

#1 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Im interested to know what other clubs have in place in terms of structure to maintain normal club function and also work towards encouraging new members and continue working with advancements in the sport such as ET's.

I dont think the time will be far away that state rifle associations will be looking after the clubs that are very proactive in promotion and development of the sport, so do we need take a step up on what is done currently?

My club runs with a president, secretary, treasurer and overall captain, with discipline captains as well. In this past this may have worked well but I feel that its starting to get behind the times and the few volunteers seem to be doing more work than they are enjoying themselves. In my club and local DRA the committee positions havent changed greatly in a number of years with only a few under the age of say 35 and most 50+years of age.

My opinion is that the following positions would be of benefit to clubs so they can maintain growth and performance into the future.

PR Officer- This person would be responsible for promoting the club through websites, social media and print media. They would also be someone who seeks and maintains sponsorships for the club for prize shoots and such.

ET Committee- With the developments of ET's into our shooting we need a few people within a club who are up to speed with aspects such as repairs, refurbishments, software maintenance and upgrades and general installation/storage/handling of ET's and associated equipment.

Development Officer/s- The main goal of this person is to welcome and coach new shooters so they arent given the old "point it at the target and pull the trigger and you will learn the rest in due time" treatment. That is a key thing I think that will reduce the number of lost new members. Nobody is willing to develop them because they dont get to spend as much time shooting. Things like learning how to adjust scopes correctly, technique, basic wind reading. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of solid work done at this level and average shooters who have the potential to be very competitive are often left to their own.

Safety/First Aid Officer- I know there are RO's and Safety Officers, but honestly havent seen much in the way of development for them. Lots of new people dont seem to understand the workings of a range. Also these days if you want a job, having first aid training is often a pre-requisite. Surely using firearms would be one hobby that having accredited first aid officers within a club would be of benefit. Not only in case of emergency too, if your club is working towards a grant, showing you have these sorts of things is a great asset.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts an opinions on the matter.

DannyS

#2 Postby DannyS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Brad, you raise some good points, but then are you in such a job, that you have time to devote so much time?

Cheers
Danny

bruce moulds

#3 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 pm

there is a strong possibility that it is now mandatory to have a child protection officer.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

SENDIT

#4 Postby SENDIT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Most people turn up at the range set there sight shoot there bullets and go home. They have no idea of the dedicated few who are there day in and day out , dressing the mounds, mowing the grass repairing the targets charging the batteries for ets repairing cables , washing wind flags and the other thousands of jobs that keep the ranges open, i for one thank all those people who make it possible at every range i shoot at.
thank you

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Danny

I have a wife, 1 year old daughter, black labrador work 40-50 hours per week and usual garden/mowing helping around the house. I find time to be club secretary, shooter, webmaster plus also vice captain of the WA team for tassie. I also find time to be able to do some spotlighting for foxes and take the boat out and catch a feed of fish (I forfeit a club day at the range every now and then or sometimes go mid week or at night) It annoys me that people say they dont have time when I know they dont have wife and kids at home. Hence my idea that if more people do a little, rather than a few do a lot, then clubs will run smoother and have greater potential to grow.

DannyS

#6 Postby DannyS » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Brad, Im self employed, work long hours, no work, no pay, run our website, mow firing points etc, do press releases etc, club captain etc etc. Happy to do it.

What I dont have time to do is post such long posts as some, please dont take it the wrong way, maybe you can type quicker than me.

Im sure there are many out there, doing the best they can.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Haha most of my work is at a computer... :lol:

Well done on doing your bit (and probably more) at your club.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”