Is the nation ready for rifle clubs with facebook accounts?

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Brad Y

Is the nation ready for rifle clubs with facebook accounts?

#1 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 pm

What are everyones thoughts on trying to promote F class on facebook. Im fairly familiar with facebook and it seems to be a great marketing tool these days, but is putting a rifle club up on there a bit too "risky" in terms of possible backlash for being crazy people who shoot guns?

flatlina

#2 Postby flatlina » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 am

Personally I think anything to do with faceache is crazy. That is unless you want the world to know you just took a crap.

Regards
john

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:06 am

What's face book? :roll:

MROFD

facebook

#4 Postby MROFD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 am

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 pm

I had the impression that Facebook was mainly for people with too much time on their hands?

Seriously, despite the misgivings, we may be forced into using it. Many resisted using E-mail but now if you don't have it, you're significantly disadvantaged.

BTW I joined it briefly until it started "nagging" :lol: .

Alan

MROFD

#7 Postby MROFD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 pm

AlanF wrote:I had the impression that Facebook was mainly for people with too much time on their hands?

Alan, I was under the impression that OZFCLASS.COM was origionally designed for that purpose......

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:05 pm

MROFD wrote:
AlanF wrote:I had the impression that Facebook was mainly for people with too much time on their hands?

Alan, I was under the impression that OZFCLASS.COM was origionally designed for that purpose......

Well at least we got in first :D .

Southcape

#9 Postby Southcape » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:25 pm

There are many shooting clubs, and shooting related groups already on FB. There are also many shooters on FB.

The two do go hand in hand. My FB page is pretty much shooting related. It also serves as a contact point for those international and local that wish to have an instant response from me to a question.

Used correctly, it is a very useful tool.
Linda

flatlina

#10 Postby flatlina » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

As you say Linda if used properly. I much prefer to phone or email as a last resort.

Regards
john

Southcape

#11 Postby Southcape » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm

I use the chat function often, when I deal with the international side of things, it is easier to just get on chat, and nut things out. More often than not, I will have a shooter on my friend list that I want to ask a question, but I won't have their email address.

Chat is far more personal and private and is also cheaper than an international phone call.

I still send plenty of emails. Just ask some people. :lol: :lol:

as for phone calls... I dread my monthly phone bill. :?
Linda

RJNEILSEN

Re: Is the nation ready for rifle clubs with facebook accoun

#12 Postby RJNEILSEN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Brad Y wrote:What are everyones thoughts on trying to promote F class on facebook. Im fairly familiar with facebook and it seems to be a great marketing tool these days, but is putting a rifle club up on there a bit too "risky" in terms of possible backlash for being crazy people who shoot guns?

Brad the benefit of facebook for a club is that any member can post photos or comments for everyone to share. As 'admin' of the page, you can delete any posts that are unsuitable to stay there. I think the main thing to keep an eye on is the anonymity of the members. On my club's website full names are only shown in a members only section that requires login. On a facebook page depending on your privacy settings, outsiders could find and track firearms owners for the purpose of theft, etc. Something to consider.

Ryan.

DenisA

#13 Postby DenisA » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

I think a FB page for Ozfclass is a GREAT idea.

There are many seniors in all walks of life that are happy and comfortable with more traditional means of advertising and marketing.
Social media is an extremely important and effective part of modern business and is being used by the largest companies around the world, a HUGE % of people around the world and its FREE.

If there was an ozfclass FB page, it could have lots of photos of all of us having loads of fun. The word would spread quickly as shooters "liked" the page and allowed many others to view it.
People would see that we're not gun slinging rednecks and that its a very safe and controlled environment.
There could be information about the sport, clubs and come and try days.

In the same way that TR shooters have had a hard time accepting change and that F-class is taking over, older generations are having a hard time accepting social media and other technology advancements.

Get on the wagon I say. IMO this could be the most significant means of raising awareness that we have seen.

Whats to lose? If it doesn't work, delete the page.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”