Comments from another website

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

#91 Postby macguru » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:24 am

Quick, thats a good point , i think that would only matter at 800m from what I have seen most 308s have a significant performance drop at 800m (but not 700 or less) because the proj is slowing down...

One thing, try berger 155 hybrids, even if its just at the longer ranges, I have shot them at 1200 yds out of my 28 inch barrel and they are still holding good elevations.

cheers andrew

DaveMc

#92 Postby DaveMc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 am

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinions/ideals and I admire those that stand in the face of an onslaught to defend them. I doubt many will be persuaded by solid arguments. "SUCH IS LIFE". I have just about had enough of this topic but will add one or two more comments before moving on to something more useful (and constructive).

This idea of letting the antigun lobbyists have the repeaters really gets on my goat though. Like the sacrificial lamb - when the wolf starts circling do you let the weakest lamb go to save the rest? Unfortunately this approach breeds a fit, healthy wolf, encouraged by his last attempts coming back for more. The wolves gather in numbers and breed on the spoils of their conquests. Soon there is just a single, lonely old ewe and hundreds of strong, healthy wolves circling. How do you think that works out in the end?

It is far better for the flock to get in front of the lamb, protect it from the wolf. The wolf then tries to get the lamb but is beaten back by the flock. With continued relentless defence the wolf eventually starves and moves on looking for another source of food. We will see something like this at ANZAC range. The wolves circling there have realized it is not easy prey and I doubt we will see much from them for a while. The lambs can then be brought into the fold and mentored such that they do not put themselves at risk by wandering off alone.

Sure there will always be wolves but do you want to fatten them up and get them used to eating LAMB! Do you want to be that last lazy ewe with a pack of energized wolves circling? Do you really think they will then leave the last few shooters standing there untouched?

AlanF

#93 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am

I started this thread, and it may be looking as if I've lost interest and it was just a hit and run exercise. Let me assure you that is not the case. We have a 60,000 ha bushfire about 10km away that's been smouldering away over the last week - was supposed to flare up again today and head in our direction, so getting ready for that has been a distraction. Fortunately, the worst predictions are not playing out so we should be in the clear for now - just need some decent rain - Queensland seems to be hogging it all :lol: .

What I have done is to get the general approval of my range to see if we can get something going on Saturday mornings that will be of interest to hunting and tactical rifle owners, of whom we have many in Gippsland. There will be a meeting soon of some of the key players to get things started.

In Victoria at least, I believe the best approach is firstly for individual ranges who have the enthusiasm and energy to go ahead and do their own thing. If we get a variety of projects going, we could end up with a real winner, or at least a collection of good ideas that can be combined to make it a winner. The recipe could then be given to other clubs who may wish to follow.

Alan

IanP

#94 Postby IanP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 am

Quick wrote:Mac,

Problem is that its harder to get 155gr upto speed in a short barrel which many factory and prac style rifles have. So they use 175gr SMK, etc which dont need that MV to stay accurate at longer ranges due to a higher BC. Thats the problem for many with those rifles. And for us here in WA, F-Open is nearly non-exsistant so there is taht issue aswell. Im the only Open shooter at my club and around half the club is FS guys.

F/TR would cover that issue and also many guys wouldnt mind single loading anyway.

Quick, you are right about F T/R as I have said before, its easily implemented and included in with our existing F-Classes. Hell, we even have an Australian F T/R team about to represent the country in the USA this year. F T/R needs fast tracking into the SSRs complete with its international ICFRA rules. This is an example of inclusion of a discipline into our sport without causing division or upsetting existing classes. Its also much more attractive to those shooters with "tactical" equipment.

I say bring it on and include it and grow our sport!

Ian

Peter Hulett

#95 Postby Peter Hulett » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am

Keep safe, Alan

Norm

#96 Postby Norm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am

AlanF wrote:What I have done is to get the general approval of my range to see if we can get something going on Saturday mornings that will be of interest to hunting and tactical rifle owners, of whom we have many in Gippsland. There will be a meeting soon of some of the key players to get things started.
Alan

Alan,
Saturday Mornings is a great idea. It will give me a window to round up interested shooters and help out. Then I can still attend the club shoot etc in the afternoon at my home range.

I will put some feelers out and see what the feeling is for such a shoot with some of the sporting/Tac shooters that I know.

There is also a new gun shop opening in Traralgon that will get a lot of customers. I will talk to them about sponsorship and using the shop to promote the activity. They should be keen to see it succeed as it will increase their sales of ammo etc.

DaveMc

#97 Postby DaveMc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:17 pm

AlanF wrote:I started this thread, and it may be looking as if I've lost interest and it was just a hit and run exercise. Let me assure you that is not the case. We have a 60,000 ha bushfire about 10km away that's been smouldering away over the last week - was supposed to flare up again today and head in our direction, so getting ready for that has been a distraction. Fortunately, the worst predictions are not playing out so we should be in the clear for now - just need some decent rain - Queensland seems to be hogging it all :lol: .

What I have done is to get the general approval of my range to see if we can get something going on Saturday mornings that will be of interest to hunting and tactical rifle owners, of whom we have many in Gippsland. There will be a meeting soon of some of the key players to get things started.

In Victoria at least, I believe the best approach is firstly for individual ranges who have the enthusiasm and energy to go ahead and do their own thing. If we get a variety of projects going, we could end up with a real winner, or at least a collection of good ideas that can be combined to make it a winner. The recipe could then be given to other clubs who may wish to follow.

Alan

Yes Alan - the thread you started on how to help F class grow is much more interesting than sitting here slanging off at each other as to whether Tac rifles should be accepted or not. Lets move on with the positives. :D

thoughts go out to all affected by floods and fires.

macguru

#98 Postby macguru » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Let us be catholic in our tastes :wink:
F class is a broad church , fellow shooters ...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AlanF

#99 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 pm

It looks pretty bad but at the end of the day its just a bolt actioned rifle. I was using a 303 with 10 shot mag when I was about 14. If its in a calibre that's legal then I don't see a problem. The extra picatinny rails will be no more use on the range than a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car.

On the other hand I wouldn't be promoting our sport with photos of it, because its not what we're about. Despite its other possible uses, it just happens to comply with our safety rules (if its not a 338).

Alan

macguru

#100 Postby macguru » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:25 pm

I confess that was a 338 but i have seen many 308s like that

This is more my style :)

flatlina

#101 Postby flatlina » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

macguru wrote:I confess that was a 338 but i have seen many 308s like that

This is more my style :)

With a blued barrel and 10 shot mag photo shopped in it would be no different to my Savage 10FP. A lot of the newer full bore rifles are pretty radical , just stick a mag on them and same same. We will be shooting our OZ Day Shoot at the Darwin Range in the morning. I'll be using the Savage, outaammo his Rem 6.5x47 lap, and Robc with his Rem tube gun in .260 AI. All of them have big mags. Two other membesr will be using an M10 and a Tikka with Roedale stock and Viper skins. It's all about getting out there and having a go.

Regards
john bellman

MCLE

#102 Postby MCLE » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:17 pm

This is my DTA i use for fclass works ok and I'm having a ball and l thought that is what it is all about.

DannyS

#103 Postby DannyS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:15 pm

MCLE, at the end of the day,,that is what is all about. Having a good day out. I must admit I'm not a fan of tac style rifles, however, your rifle is still a bolt action rifle. Its not really that much different to a. 303 smle, maybe a bit more plastic and some hormone treatment.

Maybe a few less hormones and it would be more acceptable. But if it complies with the SSR'S then end of argument.

Ps, we don't drive Model T Fords anymore, well some of us don't. And those that do, we don't hold it against you.

Cheers
Danny
Last edited by DannyS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#104 Postby AlanF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 pm

MCLE wrote:This is my DTA i use for fclass works ok and I'm having a ball and l thought that is what it is all about...

MCLE,

What I meant by the "not what we're about" comment is that tactical rifles have a lot of features, such as light weight, matt finish, lots of accessory rails etc. that will have little benefit on an NRAA range. What we are about is shooting at paper targets, and you don't need some of those features to do that.

To give you an analogy, if a drag racing club started having days for rally cars to come and have a go at the quarter mile, I don't think they would be highlighting rally cars in their publications, because that's not what they're about.

But I agree that the general aim is to have fun.

Alan :)

MCLE

#105 Postby MCLE » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Danny it's Michael after we spoke on the phone the other day l found a Fclass rifle for my son ( Thanks Max) a Neilson 600 in 223 and 308 a fantastic rifle and it shoots like stink so I have a foot in each camp. :D

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”