Comments from another website

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

#31 Postby flatlina » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:49 pm

Ecomeat why this set against muzzle brakes on the mound? With decent muff or plugs it isn't a problem especially on most of the NRAA ranges which are not covered. Here at SSAA Darwin our firing line has a roof with a curved down front that makes everything noisy. Just use appropriate safety gear.

Regards
john

ecomeat

#32 Postby ecomeat » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

flatlina wrote:Ecomeat why this set against muzzle brakes on the mound? With decent muff or plugs it isn't a problem especially on most of the NRAA ranges which are not covered. Here at SSAA Darwin our firing line has a roof with a curved down front that makes everything noisy. Just use appropriate safety gear.

Regards
john

John,
I guess my own very limited experience with them has been all painful. I have never owned one, and don't pretend to know much about them, but assume that a lot of them can be either removed, or else "plugged" in some way.
I am actually trying to find a way that it "can work" for tactical style rifles to be used happily in an F Class event, and I think that Brakes is something that could be a bit of a stumbling block, that could/might give T/R and F Class r shooters that little something to complain about.
So if a tactical rifle can easily have its muzzle break removed or plugged, then it removes what I see as a potential "bone of contention"
I can personally accept them quite easily, myself, but having actually been caused a bit of discomfort on 4 or 5 occasions, I can see how a grumpier shooter could use muzzle breaks as an excuse to NOT make the owner of a tactical style rifle 100% welcome.
If its possible to remove the breaks, or have a situation where no blast and percussion is directed sideways , then those other shooters should have nothing to complain about.
I want it to work.....having tactical rifles on the mound competing in F Class....and I see brakes as a "hurdle" than can hopefully be easily removed.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

10FPAT

#33 Postby 10FPAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:29 am

[quote="Lynn Otto"][quote="10FPAT"]
lynn,
...in fact I was involved in running the IPSC state rifle titles at your Kapunda range about 10 years ago and it worked well.
10FPAT[/quote]

Hmm, I was on the committee back then so I know how many blind eyes were turned to accommodate that event, in fact it was done a couple times. Like I said, it may not be impossible but it is also not going to be as easy as just saying let's do this and having it happen.

[/quote]

Yes you are correct we did hold 2 matches and they were great events.
Not sure what you mean by the blind eye comment we met all requiments that were asked of us in regard to calibre restrictions etc, we even supplied our own custom built target frames that we attached our tgts to.

Any way the point is it is not impossible if given the opptunity to access the ranges.

10FPAT

10FPAT

#34 Postby 10FPAT » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am

[quote="Barry Davies"]That being the case then why do not all those many owners of sporting rifles join us and partake of what we offer??[/quote]

Barry,
To be blunt what you offer is Boring.

That's not to say there is no skill involved quite the opposite in fact as you know.

However as an example if we bought a group of 20 something year old potential new members to a range and set up 2 demonstrations, 1 with a full house custom F standard .308 shooting 2 sighters and 10 scoring shots in 15mins. On the next mat we set up with my off the shelf R700 .308 with it's Accuracy International stock, 10 rnd mags on a bipod & shoot a practical style course of say 5 rnds on Tgt one then 5 rnds on tgt 2 against the clock, which would get the most interest do you think?

Some will enjoy the aspect of the time & precision required of F/TR type matches but I think the majority would be lining up to find out more about practical style shooting.

Both very different styles, both require similar skill sets to do well(breathing, trigger control, wind reading, ballistics etc) both very applicable to current NRAA ranges...

10FPAT

bruce moulds

#35 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:39 am

10fpat,
perhaps a comporomise would be this.
what about lever action fclass.
you would get your timed fire, and i would get rid of para military.
shooters could dress in traditional period costume or modern western duds, depending on what class they chose.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Norm

#36 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 am

10FPAT,

It’s obvious that some NRAA shooters will never accept change on their ranges and actively discourage change. So some ranges will move with the times and others will fade into history.

So the best option may be to sit back and wait till the NRAA ranges that refuse to change close through lack of membership and interest.
Once that has happened, other shooting organisations can move in and take over the land. They can then get a new license to run the range the way the people want. Tactical, practical, sporting, muzzle brakes, you name it, open slather!

This has just been done with the Buchan range in Victoria and seems to be the easiest way to make the transition.

bruce moulds

#37 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 am

norm,
you are probably correct.
i doubt we will ever see lever action fclass, due to apathy.
some other disciplines suffer from their leaders being faceless men who put up an argument, but lack that something it takes to put their names to their claims.
this leaves a serious gap in their cred.
when the revolution comes, who will we follow?
the thousands of shooters who are just waiting to spew onto nraa ranges will need a leader, but they won't know who it is.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

Barry Davies

#38 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 am

10FPAT,
Your description of what you consider would be the most interesting sounds very much like the NRAA discipline of Field class where they shoot over 1,2and 300yards in three positions ie prone, kneeling and standing.
Bipods are not used of course which makes the discipline rather difficult.
Time is of the escence.
Why does this not appeal? Is it too difficult or what?
All the attributes you mention are certainly required, probably moreso as you cannot use a bipod.

Norm

#39 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

Bruce,
Not sure what you are getting at? There is no revolution, only the forces of supply and demand.
I don't ever see a take over of an active NRAA range by the SSAA or any other organisation. But what I do see is organisations picking over the bones of the dead carcass that is a unused and unlicensed NRAA rifle range.

The State directors of the SSAA etc are well known, as their large membership has to vote for them every few years. So they are not faceless people.

Why is it that the old NRAA Buchan range was reopened by the SSAA when there are other NRAA ranges at Rosedale, Moe and Yarram? All within an 2 hours drive from Buchan.
Why is there also two other non NRAA rifle ranges being opened within 1 hour of the Rosedale NRAA rifle range?
If the NRAA ranges were meeting the demand from shooters in this area their membership would be booming but that is not the case. Instead these so called faceless people are building new ranges!

bruce moulds

#40 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:07 pm

norm,
i was thinking of people who come on this website hiding behind nom de plumes, while presenting as having all the answers.
these same people are quite prepared to refer to others in less than complimentary terms from the comfort of ambiguity.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

Norm

#41 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:13 pm

Bruce,
If you are referring to me then my name is Norm and my surname is Nelson. Not hiding from anyone. Also not trying to bring the NRAA down but just the opposite, trying to help it grow!

Norm

#42 Postby Norm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Brad,
Here are a few more comments from another forum. This follows on from a discussion that backs up what Alan and others are trying to do to help F-Class and T/R grow.
Let it be known that there are others out there that are just as keen to see our ranges stay open and viable as we are.

I don't compete in comps like F-class as such but mostly with ex army mates doing tact field firing.. Consisting of run downs, ranging and 3 rnds to get on steel.. Ranges consist of 600-1400yds.. Some shoots will be run down and tie offs to trees or sniper sticks in various positions.. I'm just staring to post on you tube now so will be placing a few vids on different firing positions, shooting from your your side, tieing off ect... I find it challenging and great fun..

id love to get in to competitive shooting... like tactical maches

Time is probably my biggest issue. By the time you take care of family, work and chasing big brown bastards up the scrub doesn't leave much spare time

Up until now, time and some hassles with moving interstate have prevented me starting target shooting, but I went to a couple clubs around my area today to check them out. Hopefully in around three weeks and I will be having my first crack at it

I would love to get involved in competitive shooting at some point.
As a baby, I was dragged around to shoots where both my parents were keen participants.
Dad still says mum couldn't read wind to save herself, but once given the corrections, could shoot Christ off the cross!
I have memories of his and hers 308's, nose to tail in a box with a green felt interior, smelling of oil & Bisley Solvent.
Now as a parent of 4 (they had 5), time is the (not insermountable) enemy.
Working wife (god bless her cotton socks) and kids sport leaves little time for playing with brass, lead, copper and staying down wind of brown ghosts.
Having said that, it is an interset I'd like to pursue.
As for addressing all parts of your question Norm, I dont do a ton of long range work, but keep in practice by acting as the current armourer for the family. Reloading and testing for the family arsenal.

17, 222, 223, 243, 270, 270 WSM, 308, 358, 3006, 300 WSM, 338 WM, 9.3 x 62, and hopefully a big banger soon.

bruce moulds

#43 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 pm

norm,
i am not referring to you.
i respect your opinion, because you do not hide your identity, while belittling another, and tring to impose an opinion at the same time.
in fact you debate. you are not a coward.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

bruce moulds

#44 Postby bruce moulds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 pm

ian,
i see that you were watching me shoot a bpcr silhouette match on the ssaa range next to yours.
i feel quite honoured that you would go to the trouble.
if i have any ammo left after a match any time i am sure we could arrange to further your interest in this discipline by giving you a few shots.
you would love to knock over a few rams at 500 metres.
with black powder cartridge, the reward is not quite instant due to time of flight, but quick nontheless.
possibly our nraa ranges could be quickly converted to sil ranges, as this discipline has been one of the fastest growing shooting sports ever.
i don't think you have to worry about your ftr rifle being tac/prac.
it is really a target/hunting/varmint hybrid with a bit of como paint on it and lacks magazine capacity. a stock respray with a bit of metallic hammertone blue, green of yellow would have it looking quite peace loving and sporting.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

DaveMc

#45 Postby DaveMc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Bruce I would like to point out that black powder and lever action rifles were once considered weapons of mass destruction

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”