Something Needs to be Done

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

DaveMc

#211 Postby DaveMc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:17 pm

nice one :lol: I like it.

AlanF

#212 Postby AlanF » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:21 pm

So instead a machining ticket, perhaps armourers should be doing studies into faecal analysis...

DaveMc

#213 Postby DaveMc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Lets just say "oh shit" is a very popular saying at the moment up here.
Last edited by DaveMc on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaronraad

#214 Postby aaronraad » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:31 pm

DaveMc wrote:Yes but Aaron maybe the budget F class doesn't even need to go to 1000 yards.
Up here Factory rifles are very popular. Most club shooting is done at 300-700 and the factory tikkas are popular. even most prize shoots are done at these ranges. everyone likes to have a go at 1000 but is it necessary for bringing people into the sport. Lets face it you really need to have your shit together to shoot the longs well.

So this sounds more like something that should be approached on a range-by-range case instead of a national approach. Take a look at the SSR's for Service Rifle Shooting and Field & Rimfire. Maybe you could come up with a combined selection of rules and trial them at your range. That way it would stand a better chance of being adopted at a national level.

Budget or not, if you make a competition out of it shooters will start to gravitate towards equipment that give them the best chance of winning. The trick would be to apply some sort of handicap calculation or points deduction. I think some of the ISSF and smallbore type events have penalities for clothing fits etc. but again you end up adding more rules.

Regardless of the range, they're all relative to the target size (and/or group size for our Fly & BR inclinded friends), conditions, # of sighters and # of shots to count.

If some of the firearms manufacturers were a bit more prepared to be creative they would run a few more competitions for their firearm owners. Imagine a 'Savage 16/116 International Trophy Hunter XP package series' shot at 300, 500 & 600 y/m etc. Or maybe you have enough local Tikka owners to run a competition once every 2 or 3 months.
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

BillyBushCook

#215 Postby BillyBushCook » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:36 pm

aaronraad wrote:
A lot of the "off the shelf" factory rifles will struggle to make 1000y as the barrel they use it either: too short to generate enough velocity; or the twist isn't fast enough to stablise the projectile all the way.

Dis-agree.
many are 24" & 1:10 (308) or 1:7 & 8 (223) Howa & Tikka for example.
While they may be 100 -150fps behind at the muzzle, that doesn't mean you can't get them to work thru transonic.
Besides, any thing doing 2850+ & a BC of .46 or better (easily done) & they will be fine out to 1000. maybe a stretch but that is what it is all about!

Unfortunately my local is only 900 but the Howa still put some pretty consistant shots on the board there, I wouldn't mind betting that it may well do the same at 1000, if not a better choice of proji will! (mainly thinking 308 here)

See this half the battle.
Every one keeps saying that they want to help F Class to grow, but those same people are opposed to any thing new & keep throwing thier hands in the air saying it's too hard, it won't work or we don't want that????

Mick.

higginsdj

#216 Postby higginsdj » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 am

What I find intersting about this topic is much of the conversation has nothing to do with F Class but a means of helping clubs grow in numbers!

As things currently stand, F Class is divided into 3 categories. F Open, F/TR and F Standard. The first 2 are based on international competition while the last is an Aussie own format. Given that filling the ranks of F/TR means pulling people out of one of the other 2 categories, would adding yet another category really fill the ranks overall and if it didn't, what impact would it have on numbers in those other categories when it comes to deciding whether to host those categories at prize meets?

In the end, what a club does to increase numbers (with respect to the type of matches prospective new members would like to shoot) will vary club to club. ie country folk and city folk generally see things differently for starters. If a club is having problems maintaining memberships then it's up to the individual clubs to do something about it. The problem cannot be solved at a state or national level.

Trying to get 'agreement' to new F Class categories is really irrelevant since it's success (or failure) would have to be proven at a local level first so I don't understand why people are getting so 'heated' with conversations about, for example, 'tactical/practical' shooting. SSAA does that style of shooting right now through various IPSC and Action matches. People should be free to make whatever suggestions they like here (within reason) - then it's up to you to decide if you think that suits you and your club and if you think it does then take it up with your club committee.

Arguing against ideas and suggestions on this forum just seems a little pointless! Point out potential problems and potential issues by all means but lets have an open mind here. Of course when it comes to making suggestions one needs to keep in mind the valid reasons for possessing a firearms license.

Cheers

David

Barry Davies

#217 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 am

Too much logic in that post DJ.

AlanF

#218 Postby AlanF » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm

I gather there's a lot of hunting/varminting/tactical shooters who aren't particularly attracted to any of the 3 F-Classes, which after all are very similar in format. I agree with DJ that we probably don't need a new competition class, but we would benefit from having more shooters using our NRAA ranges. Some of those we get onto the range will surely take an interest in F-Class.

Alan

aaronraad

#219 Postby aaronraad » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm

AlanF wrote:I gather there's a lot of hunting/varminting/tactical shooters who aren't particularly attracted to any of the 3 F-Classes, which after all are very similar in format. I agree with DJ that we probably don't need a new competition class, but we would benefit from having more shooters using our NRAA ranges. Some of those we get onto the range will surely take an interest in F-Class.

Alan

If clubs/ranges opened up a target simply for rifle use there are a lot of shooters just looking to try long range with their current set-ups. They would stilll have to meet the range rules etc., but it wouldn't take long for most of these shooters to wander over and ask for a go at TR or F-Class. That's pretty much how it works at the SSAA benches. I've never knocked back another shooter at a SSAA range keen to have a shot through one of my rifles...while I've got the time and ammo to spare. :wink:
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

BillyBushCook

#220 Postby BillyBushCook » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 pm

aaronraad wrote:If clubs/ranges opened up a target simply for rifle use there are a lot of shooters just looking to try long range with their current set-ups. They would stilll have to meet the range rules etc., but it wouldn't take long for most of these shooters to wander over and ask for a go at TR or F-Class. :wink:

AlanF wrote: I agree with DJ that we probably don't need a new competition class, but we would benefit from having more shooters using our NRAA ranges. Some of those we get onto the range will surely take an interest in F-Class.

Alan

Precicely what I'm getting at!

As one of "those guys" who turns up to test myself & my hunting rifle over long range (& happy to shoot the F Class format) I see no need to change the F Class or TR set up, I was primarily talking about a Factory/Budget rifle championship at Club level as a little extra incentive but still shot at the same distances & same days as F Class & TR.
F Class lites is there but Factory Varmint rifles are lumped in with the custom F Class rigs & the two are not comparable.

This will bring more shooters to the range & get some curious to try TR & think about spending the $ for a purpose build, because, lets face it. We are human & if it revs, we want to race it, if it shoots then we want to shoot it better than the guy beside you!
Yes I am keen to have a go at TR at extended ranges as a bit extra challenge but there's no way in hell I'm gunna be able to get a grant from the minister to fund a new rifle just yet.
Much better to plug away with what I have for now & make that call when I think I can get away with it.

Now, lets look at that last line.
If I was discouraged from using my current equipment because it "doesn't look like a target rifle" then I wouldn't hang around long enough to take it to the next level, would I ????

Mick.

Peter Hulett

#221 Postby Peter Hulett » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Because we can shoot all distances at the same time and as we also have sighting-in ranges at 20 and 100 metres Geelong does get a lot of shooters turning up to sight in their hunting rifles. They are quite happy to pay good money for the opportunity and often stay around for the rest of the afternoon. It is not unusual to have 25 or 30 people using our range of a saturday afternoon. There may be only 10 or so target shooters but it does give a real buzz to the afternoon. Many of those are repeat users who are ammunition testing etc. We don't pick up many as club members but those that we do get tend to stay around. We are another club that does not compete on saturdays. We just shoot to improve ourselves and help each other out. We travel to competition.

bobeager

#222 Postby bobeager » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 am

Peter, see PM. Your solution to noise problems at Geelong and your E Target configuration may help another Club that has had to cease operations due to noise levels.

higginsdj

#223 Postby higginsdj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:45 am

Geelongs setup is sweet - shoot in airconditions comfort...... :)

Here in Canberra we have one target dedicated to beginners/new shooters (with 2 shooters to look after them) with an additional 2-3 targets for regular competition plus 1 target for the bench riden F Class and and additional 1-2 targets set up for a neighbouring club and we regularly see 20-40 shooters on a Saturday afternoon (roughly 50-50 FClass - TR). The number of targets we run is simply limited by the number of paid markers we have available (can't wait till we get our new ET's up and running)

Although most new shooters want to shoot F Class, we 'encourage' them to try TR at least once and it is interesting how many change their minds (about 40% of those who continue and join the club) and continue to shoot TR. I should also point out that our main focus with newbies is safety and having fun with little emphasis on accuracy on target. If we can get them to hit the bullseye with one shot (preferably their last shot) then thats a bonus.

Since we have paid markers, emphasis is on servicing members shooting for competition so there is a limit on 'free' targets and the newbies target is the first to go if markers are limited. It will be interesting to see what happens when the ETs are introduced at the club. Given their cost I wonder if the club would even consider allowing Newbies or non members (shooters of unknown quality) to shoot on them for fear of damaging them.

Of course one major issue is what to do about insurance when it comes to non members who just want to shoot on the range! How does Geelong handle/deal with/administer this situation?

I suppose we could always insist on them becoming members and then set up a target at whatever range we are shooting on the day and have it as a walk up for anyone to use for practise or sighting in (time limited of course) next to the newbies target! Since the club is likely to continue to charge range fees after the introduction of ET's at the same rate as if we were still employing markers (to go into a fund to pay for new ET's down the track), actually paying for 1 or 2 markers to service 1 or 2 non ET targets might still be worthwhile!

Cheers

David

Peter Hulett

#224 Postby Peter Hulett » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 pm

Non-members at Geelong shoot under instruction of accredited Range Officers. After about 3 or 4 visits we insist that they become members. Same situation as any non-member wanting to have a go on a range. I think that satisfies the insurance problem. W do pick up quite a few club members this way but not many who move to F-Class. Sorry for any confusion.

sevenmil

#225 Postby sevenmil » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:52 pm

There is only one solution guys;

1. Unify as many shooting groups as possible under one banner.
2. Speak with one voice
3. Use strength in numbers to create new rifle ranges
4. Creative marketing campaign to attract new members, with a strong focus on youth
5. Grow membership, I am talking 3,4 or 5 times the size of the current shooting community.
6. With increased membership, will come increased influence, money and political clout
7. Back to point 3, then 4, 5, 6 and 7 again in a cyclical movement

I know I am only new to the forum and the above does look very simplistic - I know in practice the above would be very difficult to achieve, but how else are we going to change the current trend. Even the SSAA needs to grow it's membership, they are still a long way off being able to do the above - I think the key is to UNIFY !

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”