Is F-class the right spot to start for a beginner shooter?

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

listen_to_slayer

Is F-class the right spot to start for a beginner shooter?

#1 Postby listen_to_slayer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 am

Hi everyone, I'm adam and I'm new around here. I'm 24 and have decided to get involved with shooting. So I'm just wondering if F-class is a good starting point or if I should do something different to begin with. Also any tips on the better clubs in Melbourne? (closer to the CBD would be preferred but I'll travel if I need to)

Thanks
Adam

Fireman_DJ

#2 Postby Fireman_DJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:22 am

It depends on where you want to take your shooting in the long run.

If you want to be a hunter, then F Class is the best place to shoot because the rifles are similar in that they use scopes and rests.
(Hell, my F-Class Standard rifle IS a hunting rifle. Rem 700 Varmint in .308 with a Harris Bi-Pod and no rear sandbag).

I even hit the Super Centre 4 times last shoot at 800 and 900 yards and still haven't finished working up a good load for it.

Target Rifle is much harder to learn, because you have to learn about dialling in the windage and elevation at different ranges as well as how to hold the rifle AND how to breath correctly etc.
F Class you just need to learn how to dial it in and not yank the trigger when firing.

Before anyone has a go at me, for a beginner that's all there is to it. Once you get the hang of it, other things will start to come into play.

As for clubs, not quite close to the CBD, but Rosedale Rifle Range ROCKS!
Very nice range and even better members who welcomed me on-board like I had fresh blood into an ageing membership.

In my opinion, if you walk in and say you'd like to try F Class (or any other class) and don't get introduced to every second person or have several people offer assistance to you, then I'd try another club. Even if you need to drive a bit further.

Not sure how good they are, but there is a VRA range at Lilydale.

Southcape

#3 Postby Southcape » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:45 am

F Class is an excellent place to start. I would however also have a go at target rifle before committing to either discipline.

As for a club, if they make you feel at home then that's the right club for you. If not, keep looking!
Linda

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:22 am

There are clubs and ranges at Lang Lang and a bit further on at Grantville.
On the west side of Melbourne there is Werribee, Bacchus Marsh and Geelong. Geelong range is at Anakie.
All of these clubs promote both F Class and Target Rifle.

For contacts have a look at the VRA site. John E who frequents this site is the contact at Grantville. Both he and his wife Kay shoot F Class with more than their share of success.

Barry

ned kelly

#5 Postby ned kelly » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:28 am

G'Day Adam,
f class is an excellent place to start as the others have said, start up costs are relatively low and if you look around an omark in .223 or 308 is a great place to start.

Ranges around Melbourne can be found here... http://www.vra.asn.au/map.shtml

Clicking on each range gives you club details, you will see on the west side there is Werribee, Anakie, Geelong, Bacchus Marsh, and Castlemaine is not too far away, to the east/sth you have glan forbes, Land Lang, Yarra Valley and many more in gippsland or even up the hume fwy, so you are spoilt for choice! :D

The VRA site also gives you a shop in Bendigo and it is mobile at most shoots listed on the calendar link as well as a lot of ather info you might need, naturally ozfclass is another great site too :wink:

Hope this helps

Cheerio Ned

John E

#6 Postby John E » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

Adam,
the Grantville range is 60 minutes from Doncaster if you use the freeway.
There are club rifles and ammunition available for use by visitors, and you have the choice of target rifle or F Class. You can also use your own rifle if you want to do so.
Shooting starts at 10.00 a.m. on Saturday morning.
If you have a look at the VRA website range directory, you will see the closest ranges to you, along with contact phone numbers.

John

orangegrove

#7 Postby orangegrove » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:44 am

F Class is a great way to start shooting until you get the hang of it. F Class is a lot easier for a beginer. I tried both in the begining but gave up on T arget Rifle. I shot F class for a couple of years and have now changed over to Target Rifle a lot easier to do this time.
F Class is a lot cheaper to start with as you dont need as much gear. Which ever way you go you will enjoy it. A club that makes you feel welcome the first time you visit is the club to belong too.

listen_to_slayer

#8 Postby listen_to_slayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:59 am

Yeah I was thinking target would be much harder as a beginner, and due to me wanting to do this purely for fun and to improve myself gradually I think f-class is the way to go.

If I go with f-class is a .308 far too beefy for a beginner? Should I aim for maybe a .223? Or somewhere in between? Keeping in mind I want to keep costs down a little so cheaper ammunition would be a bonus until I learn enough to reload.

Also roughly how much am I looking to get set up? Say an ok rem 700, tikka t3 or a savage. With a decent scope and bipod etc.

Barry Davies

#9 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:28 pm

Adam,
My advice to you is this, get yourself down to Grantville and look up John Eland. You can use club rifles until such time you decide which way to go.
Have a look what's available and the cost of same against what you are prepared to outlay. Buy cheap and it's money wasted. John is a very knowledgeable person, won't feed you any BS and will tell you just how it is.
Ultimately you will have the best advice, a few shoots under your belt and hopefully make the correct choices when the time comes.

Barry

listen_to_slayer

#10 Postby listen_to_slayer » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Adam,
My advice to you is this, get yourself down to Grantville and look up John Eland. You can use club rifles until such time you decide which way to go.
Have a look what's available and the cost of same against what you are prepared to outlay. Buy cheap and it's money wasted. John is a very knowledgeable person, won't feed you any BS and will tell you just how it is.
Ultimately you will have the best advice, a few shoots under your belt and hopefully make the correct choices when the time comes.

Barry

I am going down to Grantville tomorrow morning so I'll see how that all goes. And I definitely understand what you're saying about buying cheap being a waste, and I don't want to do that, however I don't really want to pump $4k into a rifle to start with :P haha.

Thanks Barry

Adam

Fireman_DJ

#11 Postby Fireman_DJ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 pm

My Rem 700 and scope only cost $1700. As I said, not a "F-Class" rifle. But it's working it's way into a pretty good long range paper hunting rifle.

Another thing you may not have thought about is F-Class Open vs Standard.
In F Standard you must use either .223 or .308 with a specific pills etc.
F Open however you can use anything up to 8mm. 6mm BR seems to be popular, not sure the cost on ammo.

.308 is a bit beefy, but it'll be fine unless it's the first gun you've ever shot. If you are buying a target range only rifle, then you can add weight up to 6kg total weight (if memory serves). With that much weight there is almost no recoil felt compared to a light weight scrub gun.

Cost is $25 a box of 20 rounds in .308 from my local range (vs $35 a box of 20 for hunting rounds). Or you can reload your own ammo.
Or about 17.12 for 20 hand loads estimated on the costs of the last prices I paid for power/primers/pills and assuming 5 reloads per case.

The most expensive part is the Dyer pills at $0.35 each, then powder at $0.25 per round (based on the 43gn load I use).

TOM

#12 Postby TOM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:45 pm

8kg Max weight for Your F class rifle including scope, then maximum of 10kg if bipod fitted. 8kg is maximum if shooting off an unattached rest. 10kg is max weight for F open gear, ie, 10kg off a rest or with bipod attached.

Fireman, are you only getting 5 loads out of your cases? I wouldn't think 15 would be an issue out of a good case, Providing your dies, headspace etc are set correctly.

Fireman_DJ

#13 Postby Fireman_DJ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:32 pm

Not long started loading, so not yet gotten to 5 reloads (closer to 2 so far).
I also go for worst case scenario.

I'm also using a full length die, but not full length sizing them. I'm just knocking them back enough to give some clearance.

Barry Davies

#14 Postby Barry Davies » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:08 am

Fireman,
How do you not full length size in a FL die?
What you need is a body die.

Barry

Fireman_DJ

#15 Postby Fireman_DJ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:08 am

I found it on some website.

The normal full length procedure is to put the ram and shell holder full up, screw the die in until they touch then screw the die in a quarter turn more.

This method takes a fire formed shell that's been measured and puts it in the shell holder with the ram down. Screw the die in, "size" the case and measure the difference if any. Keep adjusting the die until you knock the length of the case back to give the head space you want.

The base of the case won't be sized, but how's that different from normal neck sizing? As I said, only new to reloading, but my reloads so far have gone in with about the same amount of force as factory loads. Only with less head space and an OAL length that exceeds the magazine limit. For single shot shooting that's fine.

I will need to work up a load I can use for hunting that meets OAL specs however.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”