Sick of (unruly) Dogs and Kids at the range!!!

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

Eicharsto

Sick of (unruly) Dogs and Kids at the range!!!

#1 Postby Eicharsto » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:54 am

Apologies for appearing negative but I feel I need to call out what has made my decision to move to Benchrest.

I work all week long and entertain my kids, take my dog for a walk, and so on..

So when my time comes on the Saturday the last thing I want is kids on the mound running in between me and my fellow shooters screaming and carrying on.

Dogs...dont mind the ones that sleep when at the mound, but please dont bring your dog with you that barks when you are taking your shots. You may think its cute, it frustrates me. Even witnessed one raise its leg on a members rifle bag and cover it with urine.

Benchrest is MY TIME, no kids distracting me, no dogs allowed at the SSAA, and best of all I can practise for as long as I want.

Several of my fellow shooters have mentioned to me in the past that kids and dogs should not be allowed on the range, but remain quiet so they dont upset others...

I remain a member at Belmont, but wont be back until I can shot without being disctracted by unruly kids and yappy dogs. :evil:

TOM

#2 Postby TOM » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Bye, Bye.
TOM

Cameron Mc

#3 Postby Cameron Mc » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Dear Dear

Bye Bye

timothi3197

Re: Sick of (unruly) Dogs and Kids at the range!!!

#4 Postby timothi3197 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Eicharsto wrote:Apologies for appearing negative but I feel I need to call out what has made my decision to move to Benchrest.

So when my time comes on the Saturday the last thing I want is kids on the mound running in between me and my fellow shooters screaming and carrying on.

Dogs...dont mind the ones that sleep when at the mound, but please dont bring your dog with you that barks when you are taking your shots. You may think its cute, it frustrates me. Even witnessed one raise its leg on a members rifle bag and cover it with urine.

Benchrest is MY TIME, no kids distracting me, no dogs allowed at the SSAA, and best of all I can practise for as long as I want.

Several of my fellow shooters have mentioned to me in the past that kids and dogs should not be allowed on the range, but remain quiet so they dont upset others...

I remain a member at Belmont, but wont be back until I can shot without being disctracted by unruly kids and yappy dogs. :evil:

My local SSAA actively encourage Kids, Dogs and even WIVES and GIRLFRIENDS(I try not to take both at the same time as it seems to cause friction). My son and his two mates shoot and once they leave the firing line can be as noisy and carry on as much as they want. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of stale old farts talking about hearing aid batteries.

I also love the sound of chatter and activity in the background and the atmosphere it generates. This is lacking at some ranges.

I can understand your view though and would reccommend Golf or fishing. I do agree that it is good to be able to shoot as long as you like, I used to hate getting set up just to shoot 24 shots and go home.

timothi3197

Re: Sick of (unruly) Dogs and Kids at the range!!!

#5 Postby timothi3197 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Eicharsto wrote:Apologies for appearing negative but I feel I need to call out what has made my decision to move to Benchrest.

My local SSAA actively encourage Kids, Dogs and even WIVES and GIRLFRIENDS(I try not to take both at the same time as it seems to cause friction). My son and his two mates shoot and once they leave the firing line can be as noisy and carry on as much as they want. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of stale old farts talking about hearing aid batteries.

I also love the sound of chatter and activity in the background and the atmosphere it generates. This is lacking at some ranges.

I can understand your view though and would reccommend Golf or fishing. I do agree that it is good to be able to shoot as long as you like, I used to hate getting set up just to shoot 24 shots and go home.

IanP

#6 Postby IanP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:47 am

Hi Eicharsto,

Did you contact your committee about the dog/dogs pissing on shooting equipment and running wild. Surely the club has some rules about dogs running unleashed on the rifle range!

Its a long day at the range for kids especially if you think they have to sit quietly and not make a noise. Your experiences with kids must be far different to mine. Have you considered talking to the committee about providing games for kids in the club house. Maybe you could arrange activities for kids at your club that would encourage families to come along.

Young families and kids should be encouraged and catered for and not frowned upon for attending club shoots. Dogs are another matter entirely and the committee must address this issue and ensure members who bring dogs to the range act responsibly!

IanP
Last edited by IanP on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanP

#7 Postby IanP » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:47 am

Deleted as message repeated after alerting of debug issue!
***May want to check on debug problem Alan***

mick l

#8 Postby mick l » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Kids on the range a big YES ............... around the shooting mound NO!!!!!!!
The more families we have on the range the better it is for all of us.

Dogs , well why would anyone want to bring a dog to the range in the first place?............. let alone have it running around peeing and crapping yes crapping were every one is shooting and walking ,sitting etc. Leads make no diference.Trying to enjoy a great day out on the range without standing in dog crap in not everyones idea of fun!!!

"Love "your dog , but leave it home ................ let everyone enjoy their day on the range. Please respect your fellow shooter by leaving your dog off the range.

And before i get jumped on for being unkind to dogs............ well i know it wouldnt be "YOUR" dog that would do anything of the sort :shock: :shock: :shock:

Barry Davies

#9 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 am

G'day Mick,
In defence of dogs, which I must admit are better company than some people I know.
Responsible people, and I repeat " responsible " do the right thing and take their dog bush, and /or clean up after it, actually it's the law in most places we go-- why not make it a requirement on Rifle ranges also. Yes, I don't particularly enjoy stepping in dog shit, or sheep or cow or kangaroo, just to mention a few hazards on Rifle ranges, yes and I must admit my dog does crap too.
Responsibility is the word Mick, not prohibition.
Barry

John E

#10 Postby John E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:33 am

Barry,
you forgot to mention sticking it's tongue in a shooter's ear -- :lol: :lol:

John

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:04 am

Wasn't that Merv Hughes?

John E

#12 Postby John E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Not in this instance, but the lady shooter concerned initially thought it was me.
I'll leave it to Barry to tell you about his trouble-making dog. :shock: :shock:

John

Barry Davies

#13 Postby Barry Davies » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:10 pm

The dog categorically denied all knowledge of the (ungentlemanly )incident.
Barry

John E

#14 Postby John E » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, I blamed the dog ---- that's my story and I'm sticking to it, I don't care what the dog says!!!

John

M12LRPV

#15 Postby M12LRPV » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Guilty as charged.

My wife and I take our 3yo to the range and for the most part she enjoys it as much as we do but kids being kids they do have their moments and they can be distracting.

It's a difficult situation for us because it's a case of bring her or don't come at all. We choose to come and shoot.

I think my little one annoys me more than she does anyone else though.

I will say that most people are extremely welcoming of the young ones at the range. They're the next generation of shooters who will carry the torch for us.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”