New sponsorship push

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

#16 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 am

Woody_rod wrote:I disagree that a person would have a sense of achievement on winning something by lottery - I wouldnt...

So do I - read my whole sentence. I would prefer a combination of luck and skill.

Woody_rod wrote:I think there should be less luck

The less luck you have, the more predictable the outcome i.e. the same elite group will always win, the more hopeless the prospects for the battlers, the more likely they are to stay at home .....

It would be a bit like the Australian Cup shoot on the day after the Vic Queens - all the shooters there were top class - everyone else had gone home :( .

Alan :)

Woody_rod

#17 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:38 pm

Alan,

I am really glad that you are commenting on this thread...shame about all the others reading it though.

Luck? My rifle shoots well enough for any person in the world to win Bisley or the WLRC individuals.....if the hole is an inner, it is my fault. Where is the luck? There is no such thing.

Just my opinion....nothing more.

Anyway, any other ideas, seems its just you and me Alan. Hey BTW, are any of you guys going to the NRAA Nationals in Brisbane? I will probably be going to have a look.

AlanF

#18 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Rod,

I had my first look at it last year - its a great facility up there - I just wish it was closer. Because of the distance, I can't afford to do it every year. Will be back up there in a couple of years hopefully.

Alan

Peter Hulett

#19 Postby Peter Hulett » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Don't give up just yet on your idea. The electronic targets that you are using in Perth are the same as we are using in Geelong and we have a little more experience than you. For the last two years we have been running a handicap prize meeting which allows for TR, FS and FO to shoot at the same target and have an equal competition.

All sponsorship ideas are great and we need more positives in our sport not the negatives.

We have to ignore the "why change" people and accept that we either move on or die.

Cheers

Peter Hulett

Woody_rod

#20 Postby Woody_rod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:09 am

Peter,

How does the handicap work? Is there a program you use to run it?

Woody_rod

#21 Postby Woody_rod » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm

As a follow-up to this post:

We have now been operating my "square of the difference" handicap system at 3 different events, and with great success of finding the person best performing over their own average. It accounts for both TR and F Class scores via posted averages from the Association.

Weirdly, all winners have been from my own club, how arsey is that? No, I have nothing to do with the numbers for the meetings, as they are done in conjunction with the PM numbers - of which we have no access.

To date, we (and on behalf of TS Engineering, QLD) have given out 3 prizes: an INCH target rifle (WARA Queens 2009), TSE Barrel (Great Southern DRA PM 2010) and this past weekend at our own Wurgabup PM (another TS Eng barrel).

Although we don't necessarily see immediate comeback on our "investment", there is always good positive feedback from the method we use to select a winner. It is seen as a very fair way of having an "encouragement" award, for some, and otherwise just great to see people doing well. Ultimately, we all shoot against ourselves first, then against others.

M12LRPV

#22 Postby M12LRPV » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:39 pm

You've put out plenty of calls for comment so here's mine.

I think you're very lucky to have sponsor support and the numbers to justify it.

I think the idea of big sponsored prizes is great and attempting to make the winning of those prizes fair is commendable.

As you've discovered working out handicaps is not easy.

The biggest problem I found was that the weather had a bigger effect than shooter skill.

You might have a mix of fair weather shooters and all weather shooters all of equal skill but the all weather shooters have lower average scores because they often shoot in poorer conditions.

That's just one simple example.

Anything relying on simple averages is too easy to manipulate and anything more complex can be too difficult to calculate.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”