Take a spare gun to the range.

We want to hear what your club is doing to bring in new members. Tell us what works, and give credit to those who are making the effort.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Take a spare gun to the range.

#1 Postby RDavies » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:27 am

Something I have been doing lately (gotta do it more often)to hopefully boost numbers turning up to events is to bring along my F class standard rifle, which is a 308 Rem hunting rifle on a harris bipod.
Pretty often ,you will see a newbie turn up, having a look and maybe if they are not shy, asking a few questions. I usualy offer the use of my 308 hunting rifle (which is pretty accurate). They get down and have a shot with a standard looking rifle, which doesnt look to expensive and can still get a pretty decent score. Getting down and having a shot will perk thier interest than just watching a few people shooting and not saying anything.

Do many others out there bring out their spare rifle, with thier old handloads they want to fire off? Occaisionaly, if the bloke appears to be more interested in the full on custom guns and they look as if they have the means,I give them a go with my F class open gun. Some realy love using this one ( and some hate it).
I think the main thing we can do to keep the newbies who turn up for a look, is to approach them and have a chat to them. Best not to do it after you have just shot a realy bad target though.
On that note, does anyone have a spare Remington 223 action going cheap. I want to build up a standard looking 223 F standard rifle for new shooters to have a go with.

Simon C

#2 Postby Simon C » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:39 am

This is a good idea and has worked well in the past.

One problem encountered at times is if people turn up on a day where shooting is beyond 500m. Club rules limit their participation despite the fact that they are coached and are using a known rifle/ammunition combination.

Seems a bit draconian although many would argue that it is for a safety reason. I see it as a bit of an obstruction to building new members. Does anyone else have similar rules?
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 am

I dont think most ranges have rules which stop newbies shooting past 500M, is this right. The reason I lent my rifle out ,especialy if it was up to 800yds, is that I know my scope will adjust up to 800yds, while most hunting rifles they bring wont.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:52 am

Simon,

Club rules can be changed :wink: !

Maybe it was thought of by some well-meaning people before we were struggling for numbers.

Alan

KentC

#5 Postby KentC » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

That's an odd rule, Hornsby RSL allows newbies to shoot at any range at hornsby, not aware this was an issue for some clubs, seams a bit odd when you are coaching them, ie under your direct supervision.

Simon C

#6 Postby Simon C » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:01 am

Yes that is exactly my problem with it. I suspect it is a longstanding rule that was put in place as additional protection for new fullbore shooters given that our range runs adjacent to the freeway.

I am going to bring it up at the next committee meeting I attend to see if it can be amended for the rested rifle.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

jerryatric

i took my 223 & a 14 year old to range

#7 Postby jerryatric » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am

hi, just last sunday gone i took a 14year old lad out to shoot at the 300 yard at our big bore club .i lent him my savage varmit 223 i had some old hunting loads [ 63gr sp ] , he enjoyed himself & even shot a total score of 105 . not bad for a first timer. we need to have a *sckoolie day * & get some kids out there interested to keep the sport alive when we drop off . im sure club members have old rifles laying in the safe that they could lend to the club for a day , even if we used cheap ammo .
also our bundaberg club has no rule about distance - what would be the point if people cant shoot the distance ?

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 am

We have an annual inter-secondary school shoot at Rosedale, TR only but on simple front rests. They have teams of 5 and shoot 5 counting shots each on a 600 target at 500yds. We're expecting about 10 school teams this year - event is tomorrow fortnight. Our approach is to encourage juniors to have a go, and to get their shooter's licence. That will give them a taste for the sport, then we stand a much better chance of getting them back in their 40s or older. Of those who turn up at our range to have a try, it is the older ones with previous shooting experience who are likely to stay and become good members.

Alan

actionclear

#9 Postby actionclear » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Our club has a "club rifle"

It's a .223 omark converted for F Class. The club covers the ammo for their first visit, after that we ask that they pay.

Last weekend we had 6 visitors out at the range! of which 2 are definately coming back out this weekend. Last weekend we didn't have enough rifles spare for the amount of shooters wanting F Class. Plus we only had one rest set up on the range. It slowed things down quickly.

But we learn fast, and this weekend we will take our spare rest set up, and F Class rifle.

timothi3197

#10 Postby timothi3197 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:41 pm

AlanF wrote: That will give them a taste for the sport, then we stand a much better chance of getting them back in their 40s or older. Of those who turn up at our range to have a try, it is the older ones with previous shooting experience who are likely to stay and become good members.

Alan

I am involved with two other "outside" shooting clubs that encourage new shooters and juniors, it is generally accepted we will lose the juniors for a few years whilst other interests play out in their lives, it is pleasing to see many drift back later in life. I now shoot regularly with a junior I coached back in 93(who disappeared for a while) and am now coaching his son.

It can be hard for some to take the longview, but I have seen the effort invested bear fruit, we are seeing more and more juniors come back into the fold after a few years break.

Return to “Helping F-Class to Grow”