Sighting Problems

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

tom1

Sighting Problems

#1 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:27 pm

I am a right handed target rifle shooter aged 50 years. Over the last 2 years I have noticed that my eyesight has deteriorated . I use a 0.5 Eagle eye and have slowly increased ring size from advice given to me by other shooters. Before shooting this morning I stood at the shooters mound and closed my left eye and looked at the target , it was blurry like there was mirage running. Closed my right eye and looked at the target , it was a lot sharper and could easily make out the aiming mark , this was at 700 yards. My first application was 47.4 with 3 x's . My second application I increased my ring size from 6.2 to 6.4 and had a shocker 39.1. Conditions were very good other shooters scored 49 s and 50 s.
I cant seem to get a sharp ring picture and a slightly blurred aiming mark . I shoot with both eyes open. When I finished my second application I decided to aim left handed,
Wow a much clearer ring and aiming mark with my left eye , it was like winding the clock back 10 years . I had reading glasses made from Spec Savers last year and they noticed that my right eye was weaker than my left during testing which I suspected from shooting experience. I am also sure that I am right eye dominant. Is this problem common and what can I do , any advice greatly appreciated.

Trevor Rhodes

Re: Sighting Problems

#2 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Well you should sight with both eyes open. If your left eye is stronger and you are unable to shoot left hand then a outrigger is an option to shoot right hand but with left eye.

Jarrod Robertson

#3 Postby Jarrod Robertson » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 pm

I's common for guys to get a set of glasses made specifically for shooting.

Tell the optometrist your needs (type of optic, distance from eye etc) and he'll do the rest.

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm

As Jarrod said,some optometrists understand shooters needs better than others,obviously you need some correction in your shooting eye.

tom1

#5 Postby tom1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the replies. What are the pros and cons of prescription shooting glasses or a prescription lens behind the rear sight. I have a prescription lens and frame that my dad used to use that would need to have a lens that suits my right eye. Interested on the experiences of those that have used either of these solutions. I am led to believe that outriggers are the least preferred option.
Thank you
Brad Probert.

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:15 am

Hi Brad, I've used the glasses, the lense on the rear sight, and am now using a dioptre. I found the glasses hard to set up correctly. I know a lot of people use them very well, but I had trouble with them. The rear mounted lense was good and did me very well, but with my eyes being as shit as they are, I found that it would go in and out of focus as my eyes fatigued. Especially during Queens, with shooting multiple ranges over multiple days. With the diopter I can change the settings then and there. The only down side I've found so far is that you have to take the eagle eye out. Luckily I frame the whole target in my sight picture, so it isn't too bad. I haven't been using it for long, but I don't think that I ever seen the targets as good as am now. I also haven't shot any longs with it yet so I can't comment on how that's going to go. I would be interested to try one of the non magnified diopters, you can use your eagle eye with them.
Scott

Old Trev-39

#7 Postby Old Trev-39 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:12 pm

Before I had my cataracts removed I had a special set of glasses made. Shooting eye prescription to suit sighting in that side, and a normal prescription in the other to see downrange. Worked well, and was easy to shoot with both eyes open. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Trevor.

fgregorio

#8 Postby fgregorio » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:45 pm

https://gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=1695
These have been quite successful for me. Diopter with no magnification. It allows you to still use an eagle eye.
To adjust it, I open the iris up, adjust he sight correction until the ring is clearest. Then I start closing the iris until the aiming mark is clearest. Then its a matter on fine tuning each adjustment until I'm happy. Keeping in mind that its not a set-and -forget. Your eyes change every day and if you keep fine tuning at each distance, you will find that small adjustments are warranted.

Wayne_tri62

#9 Postby Wayne_tri62 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi all.. so as a still newbie (but a well aged one).
I was contemplating a prescription lens holder such as put out by Sumo (Ryan Neilsen)
When fitted with a prescription lens, will that then require the removal of the .05 EI to meet TR rules??
thanks

RJNEILSEN

#10 Postby RJNEILSEN » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi Wayne,
You can have a lens at the rear along with a 0.5 eagle eye in the front as long as the rear lens is a fixed dioptre (ie not a variable dioptre).

Cheers,
Ryan.

scott/r

#11 Postby scott/r » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:19 pm

You only have to remove the eagle eye if you use a magnified diopter. It's all good with a presciption lense.
Scott.

dgeorge52

#12 Postby dgeorge52 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 pm

hi Tom1....Doug here....I`m 60 odd nd have wore glasses since I was 13 years old....I started shooting in the early 80`s had a break in the late 90`s...until 2 years ago....got back going again ...nd so many things have changed target sizes rifles ammo and the like...including my eyes to the fact that it was very hard to get a picture and shoot well enough to keep up with everybody else`s scores...so I went t optometrist nd she explained a few things ..nd I told her I just wanted to shoot targets ...so she gave me some options they all wer`nt good ...then I remembered about a couple of other shooters getting a new lense put in shooting eye...I asked about this nd she said it was a good opion...so I had the operation under local anaesthetic nd got a new distant lense in right eye ($3500) that was the BEST thing ive ever done ...now I don`t wear glasses at all...and can see anything at any distance as clear as a bell...improved my shooting out of sight...so was a good option for me...

Josh Cox

#13 Postby Josh Cox » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Tom,

I do not claim to be an expert my any stretch.

To draw a direct correlation between a crap score because you don't think you are seeing the target well is not really that simple.

Could I suggest you have someone else shoot your rifle and load, preferably from a bipod, see what that shows you. Then you shoot it from the bipod straight after.

Shoot someone elses rifle, one that is shooting well. See what that shows you.

Could be a dirty barrel, bad load, oil under your bedding, loose sight, loose eagle eye, sticky trigger, old firing pin spring, you were dehydrated,,,,, the list of possible causes is virtually endless......

I find it amazing how well the eye and brain is able to align all the circles, and if you pull a good shot with good gear, you can give the FS shooters a run for their money.

I would suggest do some testing before drawing too many conclusions.

If you think you will need to bolt a scope onto your rifle to continue in the sport, the sooner you do it the better.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”