which hand stop and why ?

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

lonerider43

which hand stop and why ?

#1 Postby lonerider43 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

what hand stop do you use ?
what are its benefits/flaws ?
round [canister] , contoured , lever lock , screw lock ?
i am researching because i need one for the new stock.

regards

sean.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

!Peter!

Re: which hand stop and why ?

#2 Postby !Peter! » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Handstops are something you have to try. Most seem to find the smaller handstops better these days rather than the large contoured ones popular in the past.
One of the key features for a handstop for me is the ability to offset it to the side so that it sits in the bottom of the V of your hand.
The one I use is http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=499&sprache=1&zubehoerID=298
Another popular one is http://www.mec-shot.de/en/products/accessories/three-positions/handstop/stop/

lonerider43

#3 Postby lonerider43 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 pm

yeah, one i was looking at ,was the contoured lever lock... [Hand stop 4752 (001132)]

Gerard

#4 Postby Gerard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:11 am

I have the System Gemini style contoured one, a fancy MEC one and a simple small one that is little more than a sling swivel mount. Have used each with (personally) no obvious difference, quite possibly as I try to set them so my hand doesn't firmly contact them. So clearly I'm not getting the advantage others see.
Im informed (as are many via a weekly newsletter), by the very well respected Geoff Ayling (multi time bisley winner and much more) that handstops and full bore rifles are a bad mix. Geoff explained that, resting your hand against a handstop on a small bore rifle is fine given there is little to no recoil. But with a full bore rifle there is the danger that you will get flyers if your hand and handstop become part of the recoil.
Not everyone agrees with that thinking and of course I'm not able to fully articulate what Geoff was describing, but the general lesson was that having the bandstop (at least as an obvious) part of recoil resistance can cause flyers. I personally have seen that negative impact on my groups last year and moving the handstop to the point that I could no longer feel it against my hand during recoil resolved that particular issue. (I still have plenty of other issues though!! ha ha. ). Food for thought perhaps. I guess, we need to first think of what the purpose of the handstop on a full bore rifle is and then select one to suit that purpose. If it is simply a 'placeholder' for where your hand should be, then a simple one would suffice. (all that said, I'm not selling mine just yet!).
Last edited by Gerard on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:45 am

When I shoot TR, I don't use a handstop as such. I have an older Anschutz with the knurled ball & I fit it reversed so the sling mount is towards my hand. Pressure of the sling over the back of my hand an a tad of squeeze on the stock keeps it where I want it.

lonerider43

#6 Postby lonerider43 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:25 pm

thanks for the answers fellas.
Gerard,that is worth thinking about.
my hand slips up to the handstop i have, under recoil,but it is held fairly tight with the 2 point sling.[and yet it still slips]
hmmm

Gerard

#7 Postby Gerard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Hi lonerider43, In the event that one of the experienced TR shooters provide advice on your hand slipping issue, then follow their recommendation. In the interim here is some dubious advice from a novice..

I have had that exact same problem and cannot find the remedy that Geoff provided for me, but I can say that it wasn't 'buy a stickier glove' or something of that nature. It could well have been to assess the distance your hand slips forward and apply that to your length of pull (i.e. extend butt pad rearward). I'm not sure if that was the recommendation I got, but expect that it could end up with a rather tight/sore hand. But, I would start there.

However, If that doesn't work for you then...the extremely dubious suggestion I have (no experienced shooter told me this, no one is to blame for this craziness, haha it was something that worked for me by accident).
1) move your handstop back until it definitely touches your hand, tighten it quite loosely - only enough to not slip when you shoulder the rifle.
2) shoot a shot or two - this is definitely bad advice but it did work for me - this will knock the handstop forward. Unshoulder the rifle and make a mark at the handstop position. 3) repeat until the hand stop no longer slides forward. 4) Now move the hand stop forward 5mm to give you a little clearance and firmly tighten in place.
I know this is terrible advice, depending on many variables such as your current sling length and length of pull it could result in a much worse end configuration. So I suggest recording your current settings before embarking on this craziness. It did work for me, possibly by luck, but I can assure you it wasn't the correct method to resolve... Im trying to describe a process here for something that happened for me by accident. I suggest if you do try this, then do so after your weekly practice or at some other occasion where lost shots matter less ;)

Best advice I can give though is to subscribe to Geoff Alyings news letters and perhaps contact him. He will tell you the "correct" remedy :)

lonerider43

#8 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:54 pm

thanks again Gerard

scott/r

#9 Postby scott/r » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Hey guys, I use the basic handstop
https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... p-6226-ans
I also jam my hand up against it. Maybe because the sling mounts right on top of my hand I very rarely get any discomfort from it.
Personally, I can't see how how having your hand off the stop could be a good thing. My reason being that we are trying to replicate our position and movements exactly shot after shot. And if your leading hand is able to move from shot to shot, thats going to make it very difficult to replicate. And again, personally, I am under the opinion that your leading hand position is just as important as any of your other positions that we aim to maintain during a detail.

lonerider43

#10 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 pm

thanks scott,that handstop was one i also considered.
in the end i went with the lever lock,contoured.
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... hoerID=298

crundos

#11 Postby crundos » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Gerard wrote:Best advice I can give though is to subscribe to Geoff Alyings news letters and perhaps contact him. He will tell you the "correct" remedy :)

Hey mate, How do you subscribe to Geoff's newsletters?

Gerard

#12 Postby Gerard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 pm

You have mail.

!Peter!

#13 Postby !Peter! » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm a bit dubious of not having the handstop tight in the V of the hand.

Sean,
As I mentioned in my previous post that's the handstop I use. A feature I worked out after using it for many years is that not only can you offset it, you can also drop the handstop down as well.

Peter

lonerider43

#14 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:29 pm

down ?

!Peter!

#15 Postby !Peter! » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am

If you loosen the screw that allows the handstop to rotate it to offset it you can also drop it down. Once you've got it and had a play with it, if you still don't know what I mean then let me know and I'll take some photos.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”