Rings for Parker Hale foresight?

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Finnie

Rings for Parker Hale foresight?

#1 Postby Finnie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 am

I've just picked up an old Omark 44 with a Parker Hale foresight.

Unfortunately the only ring that came with it is the one in the sight itself. The Omark has a screw on cap at the base of the pistol grip labeled "Parker Hale - England" that I believe would usually hold spare rings but it was empty.

I think the foresight is a Parker Hale Matchmaker? The ring in it has a diameter of very close to 17.2mm, and the tabs are slightly offset from centre and with one slightly larger tab aka the Anschutz elements. Strangely (or at least I think?) the element that came with the rifle doesn't seem to fit under the cap in the stock because of the tabs.

Can anyone tell me what elements I should be looking for to complete the package? Ideally I'd be looking for something original to keep the set complete, but I'm also looking to use this Omark for fullbore for a while so if there are easier to find rings that will fit that would be useful too!

Thanks
Finnie

bsouthernau

Re: Rings for Parker Hale foresight?

#2 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:34 pm

Ask around at your local range. You might well find that someone who's upgraded to a larger front tunnel has a set in the back of a cupboard. If all else fails I've got four red perspex ones from 3.2 to 3.5 you can have if that's any use to you.

SuperV

#3 Postby SuperV » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:58 pm

What size you after mate. Pretty sure I have a few metal rings in some old gear.

Finnie

#4 Postby Finnie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for the kind offers. I'm going into the club this weekend and they've mentioned they might have some in there so I'll let you know if I'm still looking.

My next beginner's question is where to buy an adapter to get a Gehmann rear iris to fit a Rawson rear sight? I've picked the Gehmann up second hand and it has a female thread, so I'll need a male-male adapter to fit.. my searches so far suggest that the Gehmann PH577 adapter is what I want, but I can't see any for sale on the various state association's sites.

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers
Finnie

lonerider43

#5 Postby lonerider43 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 pm

mate,your best bet is ebay uk.
they have a lot of gear for sale that we cant get in aus.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

wilson85

#6 Postby wilson85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 pm

https://www.q-store.com.au/collections/ ... thread-geh

This one should sort you out mate. Has the smaller Parker Hale thread for the older sights. I've bought 3 from the q store in the past. Just make sure you ask for the smaller Parker Hale thread iris and you'll be in business

wilson85

#7 Postby wilson85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm

I reckon if you ask on here, there might be someone with an old 22mm Koala front sight tunnel or something similar that you could use also. You might have to bush around the barrel for the base but it would get you going with a sight with easily obtainable rings and an eagle eye.

Finnie

#8 Postby Finnie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm

I've had a bit of luck looking around today (I think!) and have managed to order a second hand 22mm Cooper tunnel, and also track down a PH577 adapter to fit the Gehmann rear iris I have. Hopefully when they turn up they fit the old Omark!

Wilson85, what would someone usually use to bush the front mount to the barrel if the Cooper mount won't fit? I did notice that my omark has a lighter profile barrel than most of what i see at the range so I'm assuming that the second hand Cooper I have coming might be too big in the internal diameter of the barrel mount. Is it likely that a Parker Hale dovetail already on my omark would take the Cooper top tube (i.e. use the barrel mount already on my rifle)?

Hopefully the old omark shoots well enough, but I figured I'd take the advice from the club and start getting my hands on some better sights given they could be transferred to a new rifle if needed!

Cheers
Finnie

wilson85

#9 Postby wilson85 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 am

G'day Finnie

A bush made of steel of some sort would be the go glued to the barrel with loctite 680 or 609. A bloop tube could even be made up to give you a longer sight radius.

There is a bloke up here in Qld that was using an original omark with top wood and old Parker Hale front sight with great effect up until recently. He wasn't shooting 50.8s or 50.9s with it but averaged high 40's with a few 50's with the old girl which I was pretty impressed with.

Finnie

#10 Postby Finnie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks Wilson85. I'm checking sighting at the range tomorrow and then will shoot the normal club shoot with the old Omark, so I'm keen to see how it goes! I won't claim to be shooting high 40s at the moment anyway, but have a reasonable benchmark of my scores so should be able to judge whether it is a shooter or not!

Cheers
Finnie

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”