What Barrel Length to go for?

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Gerard

What Barrel Length to go for?

#1 Postby Gerard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:02 am

Hi Guys,

I see there are several options when selecting barrels and one of those is overall length.

What would you consider to be the optimal length for a Palma barrel?
Here are my total guesses..

* Advantages of a 35" barrel over say a 30" barrel, I assume to be:
1) better sight radius -> easier to get on target??
2) better velocity -> longer time for powder burn, and therefore increased loads may be possible.
3) Better heat dispersion??

* Disadvantages may be:
1) Weight? ->Both from Rules weight limit and from the perspective of how heavy the rifle may be during a 15 shot string.
2) For Med/Smaller shooters the rifle may become unbalanced, as length of pull would be short due to physical size of the shooter, therefore more weight at the muzzle end of the rifle??
3) A long rifle may require a new case lol!

Im interested in hearing some opinion from experienced TR shooters, as I'm at the point of selecting a barrel for my new Barnard/Gemini rifle. I have not yet physically received the action and stock, so the disadvantage is I don't yet know what weight I have to play with, but lets work on the premise that all barrel lengths are an option.. so which length would you prefer and why.

cheers,
Gerard.
Last edited by Gerard on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

pjifl

Re: What Barrel Length to go for?

#2 Postby pjifl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:25 am

Extremely long barrels are buffeted more by strong winds.
35 inch sounds very long to me and simply not worth it.
Match rifle shooters may have gone for this once but with a better range of slippery projectiles available and small primer 308 cases taking higher loads I doubt that they now make much sense.

You can increase sight base on a shorter barrel if you mount it appropriately but again more wind buffeting. Depending where you shoot this may be a factor.

Will a complete rifle with 35 inch barrel fit cross wise in your vehicle ? Not an insignificant consideration.

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:48 am

Hey mate, my new barrel came in at just over 31.5 " finished and I've had a bit of trouble getting the speeds down. I haven't had anything to do with anything as long as you're talking, but I would think that speeds and pressures wouldnt be the only issue. Things like buffeting and follow through would also come into effect. Also a longer sight radius isn't always a good thing in my opinion. For one thing it changes the click value on your rear sight. A quater click isn't going to stay at a quarter with a really long radius.
And if you look at most people who are shooting all the real good scores,most I believe are going to be around the 31 -32" mark.
Scott.

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:54 am

If you go to http://www.triplej.com.au/downloads.htm and have a look at the sight radius download James has posted, it explains the effects of sight radius on your click values better then I ever could.
Scott.

Gerard

#5 Postby Gerard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks guys.
Hey Scott, does that mean that you purchased a 33" barrel and after threading for your action the resultant barrel length from end of action to muzzle is now 31.5" (i.e. 1.5" was used up by the gunsmith and is threaded into the action and perhaps some removed by crowning?).

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Yes mate, it was 33" raw. I stayed with the standard target crown instead of the new deep crown that is getting around at the moment. That way I could keep it as long as possible when Mr Giles was finished putting it together.

David B

#7 Postby David B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 pm

For what it's worth, J.C. is using a 35" barrel deephole crowned 3" to keep the front sight shade out of the muzzle blast. He had the first tool for this made some time ago it's nothing new but becoming widely adopted of late. Best to quote barrel length from the bolt face because it is easy interpreted

Gerard

#8 Postby Gerard » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks David, I ordered yesterday and opted for a Kreiger 33" barrel, Palma taper and with 38mm deep hole crown. My thoughts are that it should result in approximately 30" from bolt face to muzzle and I'm hoping will correspond to roughly align 1:1 ratio with my sight (1 MOA sight adjustment should hopefully be reasonably close to reality at the target).
Im new to buying barrels and such and trying to avoid costly mistakes. Its a real pity that barrels are so expensive, otherwise experimenting with different lengths/crowns/chambering would be fun.

So far, I'm significantly over my initial planned spend (no compromises) and will definitely be borrowing the front and rear sights of my Angel until I eventually save for a Warner and perhaps 30mm foresight. Thats probably going to be around Christmas at this point. But, using my old Central Sight will get me going :)

Anticipated delivery of my new rifle is hopefully in a few weeks. Then barrel break in (slow, deliberate, careful. And I will need to find somewhere that will let me do that, as I doubt I can do it without rushing at Gatton zero range), then about 2mths of configuring the stock and load testing.. before I start to shoot as good as I currently am with my old Angel hahahah..

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 pm

Gerard, unless they've changed lately, a 33" Kreiger barrel will arrive at 34" or thereabouts long, yo allow for 1" to be knocked off the muzzle.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”