spotting scope

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Muzza

spotting scope

#1 Postby Muzza » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:24 am

Hi,
I am on the market for a new spotting scope and just wondering what is a good quility brand for under $600. I used to use a ebay special but it just dont cut it after 600yrd and where i shoot it goes out to 100yrd.
Thanks for your time.

scott/r

Re: spotting scope

#2 Postby scott/r » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:26 am

For that sort of money you could have a look at a redfeild or for about another $100 or so you would be into the vortex range. Or keep asking around your club. Someone may decide they have one for sale. Try putting an add on here in for sale section, you'll be surprised at what comes up.

Gerard

#3 Postby Gerard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:38 pm

If you check on eBay you can find the Yukon 6-100x (They are actually two scopes in one. At the twist of a knob it changes from 6 x25 to 25x 100).

The guys on the range joke to me about the size of it, as it really does look like something you would use for discovering new planets LOL)

I got mine for less than $500 from Germany. It was a bit of a wait.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YUKON-6-100X100-SPECTIVE-/361504362085?hash=item542b56ce65:g:4RUAAOSwBLlVIXap

Mine is the Grey colour one and I think that the lenses are not to the same quality as their Silver colour model (Which sells for a few hundred more, although the product name seems to be the same..??).

The glass isn't fantastic but I find it definitely ok for chasing spotters at 1000yrds ..or more.

It has the angled eyepiece which in my 'limited' experience seems easier to use when prone.

Since winning a Vortex Diamondback at QRA Queens, the larger Yukon is my backup and I use it more for marking.

If you want a cheap scope that will do, then I suggest checking them out (Lens quality isn't as good as some, but roughly on par with the Vortex I think).

Hope that helps :)
Cheers,
G

PS.. depending on where you are located I would be happy to let you have a try with mine.
PPS... if you follow that couple Mark and Sam from WA (Or SA..?) that have the youtube channel, well they use the SILVER Yukon and are shooting out to over 4,000m !! So, I guess the glass must be better on that one. There are better videos on their youtube site, but here is a link to get you started: https://youtu.be/0i0HdvTaDjk?t=873

Muzza

#4 Postby Muzza » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks for the responses i will be doing some research on the vortex, redfield and yukon.
Gerard where abouts do you shoot. I shoot at the Gemfields Rifle Club (Central Qld)

Gerard

#5 Postby Gerard » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi there,

Im also from QLD, but I think still quite far from you.
I shoot at Gatton as my local club, but visit as many competitions as I can afford to.
I will be visiting North Arm on Saturday (Not a comp, just want to join their weekly and see if I can learn).
So if thats close, I will ensure to bring the Yukon and Vortex with me so you can try.

I also plan a trip to Goondiwindi and Crowsnest over the coming weeks/month or so. Perhaps they are options for you.
Feel free to PM me for contact details if you are out this way.

Cheers,
G.

MR.Sako

#6 Postby MR.Sako » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:59 am

Hi Gerard
Whats the eye relief like on the vortex?

Gerard

#7 Postby Gerard » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:02 am

@MR SAKO.

Sorry about the delayed response, I wanted to assess it again first.
I would have to say 'not fantastic', but not terrible either.

For me, I prefer to have my eyebrow just touching the eyepiece (which actually has some small adjustment for eye relief), I get a good/full sight picture in that position with my brow gently touching the eyepiece surround.
Its still possible to see spotting disks with your head a little further away, but of course the circumference of view visible quickly reduces.
At say, 1/4" to 1/2" away its reasonably ok, you just move your head around a little to locate the spotting disk, much further away than that and the circumference of view (sight picture for want of the correct term) reduces too much. (Imagine that as you move further away the visible image becomes a decreasing small luminated circle surrounded by an increasing black circle to out to the size of the eyepiece lens.

In my opinion much beyond 1" from the eyepiece wouldn't be great and personally I can see the full image only when right up on the scope.
So in my opinion the eye relief is fairly limited, others may have different opinions.

scott/r

#8 Postby scott/r » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 am

No, my opinion is the same. unless you are right on it , it deteriorates quite quickly. That's why I swapped the one I won at the queens and stayed with my old one. In saying that , if you are right on it, they are a very clear scope to look through.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”