Which Sights

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Which Sights

#1 Postby scott/r » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:05 am

A question from Rdavies on a different thread about different types of sights got me thinking about all the types of setups we've all got and use. So, I was wandering if you guys would tell us what you use and why you use it.

I'm using a central rear sight that's been rebuilt with 1/4 - 1/4 adjustments. It's got a basic adjustable gehmann iris on it with the black rubber cap and yellow lense. I like the yellow lense in it as it helps me define the target better.
My front tunnel is a 30mm rightsight wi5h a .5 eagle eye in it. The iris is a gehmann 5 - 7.5 adjustable that I use to frame whole target frame instead of just the aiming mark. It's the first height adjustable front sight I've had and I like it a lot. I've got different settings for nearly every distance so that my rear sight stays in a similar position to help keep my head in pretty much the same position according to the stock. I've also just started using a set of nobloch shooting frames with a corrective lense as I've become blind as a bat (according to the mrs) in recent years. I went with the glasses instead of the lense on the rear sight so I can focus on the monitor and the flags as well. Maybe she's right, but I'm not telling her that. I've tried to keep my sights as simple as possible with the theory that there's less to go wrong and seems to be working for me at the moment.
20161109_205511-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

20161109_205511-1-1-1-2-1-1-1.jpg

So what aee you guys using? Who knows it may help to bring a top open shooter over to the proper side of shooting. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SuperV

Re: Which Sights

#2 Postby SuperV » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:06 am

Warner rear 1/4 x 1/4
Cooper standard height 30mm front with rings.

saum2

#3 Postby saum2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 am

+ 1 for Warner rear sights, you won't have any issues requiring a rebuild like Central. Right sight is fine.

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Yeh, the warners are a good looking sight. But if something happens, I know I can more than likely fix the central then and there.

Gerard

#5 Postby Gerard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Warning novice commenting..

I have a Central no.4 with 1/3 Min adjustment for both elevation and windage.
(Used to use a rawson that was 1/2 Min adjustment (and learned to adjust between the clicks pretty quickly haha).
Currently using a 22mm cooper fixed front sight and .5 EE and rear adjustable Gehman Iris which in my more recent experience seems better to be left alone (I used to adjust for each range and even during the shoot if the light changed, but seems I have found a setting that works 'ok' in all conditions... apart from competitions obviously! I also have a screw in yellow filter, but haven't tried it beyond one range at Muckadilla and the result was I couldn't see the target numbers clearly. (It was overcast.. so I guess you are meant to use that filter on a bright day??).

Would very much like to try a 30mm front sight to see if that would work better for me and like Scott I really should be exploring some glasses or lens as my eyesight has taken a recent slump.

scott/r

#6 Postby scott/r » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:44 pm

Changing to a 30mm tunnel was one of the best things I've done with the sights. both of the tunnels in the photo are set with the same size ring. As you can see the light transfer is incredible and I'm able to see some condition changes though the sights when I'm shooting.
2016-11-10 21.37.44.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gerard

#7 Postby Gerard » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Wow, the improvement is obvious in that photo :)
Im definitely considering an upgrade.

But without trying though, I'm a little cautious, are there are other considerations to factor?
For example, personally (novice warning again!) I don't shoot well if I use a ring too large and in my case one that frames the target. I prefer roughly using Ryans guide of 50% (min) target size in white, and a little more but not as far as framing the corners of the target as for some reason that 'extreme' reduces my score.
So.. although the ring sizes in the photo are the same, is there a possible negative impact of seeing too much surrounds outside of the ring? (probably not I guess, as we focus on the ring primarily and Target secondarily.. 'us novices, that is' ;) )

One other potential downside I had thought off could be physics and simply that a large front sight may catch more wind and therefore you could be more subject to movement??

Hey Scott and others..
My mate has started using 1mm and even .5mm thickness front rings and highly recommends the change (I currently use 2mm).
Do any of you recommend thinner rings (I'm hoping to supplement, not sidetrack this good topic).

cheers,
G.

scott/r

#8 Postby scott/r » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:53 am

The ring ring size and what you frame with it is definitely a personal preference thing. Personaly I found if my front ring was to big, I found that my groups would resemble a shotgun pattern. And if it to small, I'd get a bit of vertical in it. As far as getting any wind buffering with the larger size tunnel goes, I haven't found it to be any worse than the 22mm tunnel. But in saying that , if your getting any buffering, with either tunnel, you probably should be waiting for conditions to come back anyway. Most people are using the 2mm rings, but again that's more of a personal preference thing again. If it looks good to your then go for it. I've got two sets of rings for my old 22mm tunnel, one are usual 2mm steel rings and the other is a set of 1mm clear perspex ones that I first started with. The only reason I changed to the steel ones is I got a new cooper tunnel with and eagle eye in it and the small perspex rinvs didn't suit my sight picture anymore.
And it's not sidetracking sidetracking, I was hoping that this what would happen with the thread. Discussing different parts of the components that make up our sights.

scott/r

#9 Postby scott/r » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:30 am

Another thing, Gerard, with your rear iris, I like to open it right up and adjust it back to focus. What I mean is, when I lay down and get everything set while I'm waiting for my turn and checking my position and sight picture, I'll open the rear iris all the way out and then slowly close it until everything comes back into focus. I've also found that,with my shooting glasses, it sets my parallax as well. It does normally end up about the same on most ranges but it does make a big difference on darker or overcast days. Actually that's another thing, on darker days try going up a size or to with your front ring. It'll help bring more light to your eye.

saum2

#10 Postby saum2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 am

Yeh, the warners are a good looking sight. But if something happens, I know I can more than likely fix the central then and there.

Scott, Why ask questions then?

scott/r

#11 Postby scott/r » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 am

I wasn't asking anything except that maybe some of the older t/r shooters may be able to share with us newer guys what components you use and why. There's that many parts on the market, it can be quite daunting and a bit confusing to someone starting out.

browniedog

#12 Postby browniedog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:21 am

Hi Guys

I used to use a HHE rear sight with 1/4 elv 1/2 wind with front 22 and 30 cooper fixed height

but now I find the nightforce is a lot better ha ha

Brownie

fullbore308

#13 Postby fullbore308 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:23 am

Hi guys , I much prefer the Riles 30 mm front sight fitted with 30mm adaptor to take any Sumo ring plenty of light also right sight is fine as adaptors are designed to go in both cooper are a little restricted on light ,rear sight RPA Trakker or Warner but limited supply on warners.

Hope this helps Craig

DenisA

#14 Postby DenisA » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 am

browniedog wrote:Hi Guys

I used to use a HHE rear sight with 1/4 elv 1/2 wind with front 22 and 30 cooper fixed height

Brownie

:lol: =D>

scott/r

#15 Postby scott/r » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:39 am

DenisA wrote:
browniedog wrote:Hi Guys

Brownie

:lol: =D>

He hasn't sold his sights yet. We've still got a chance to save him. :D

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”