Introduce yourself and your Club!

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

FullBoar

Introduce yourself and your Club!

#1 Postby FullBoar » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:56 am

Well ...

Thanks to Allan us Fullbore shooters have a forum to discuss our particular discipline. So in lieu of that here is a great place to introduce yourself to others and tell us a bit about your club and range.

I've been shooting since I was a youngster but then left it alone for many years and have just come back to shooting recently - where through my interest in Milsurp rifles ( Service Rifle ) such as Lee Enfields etc, I discovered Fullbore at my local club. I shoot out of the Lithgow Small Arms Rifle Club which uses the ADI Test range which has been in use at that location since the late 1800's - our range goes out to 900 and has a ten target capacity.

Like quite a few at my club I'm using an old Omark M44B which I'm very happy with ... in the process right now of working it up into a solid target rifle. Would I say no to a Barnard action though? :lol:

So ... if you're a Fullbore shooter, check in and say g'day, introduce yourself and tell us about yourself and your club!

Best, Simon.

littlebang556

#2 Postby littlebang556 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:06 am

F Class has been around for just a short time in comparison to Fullbore but it is via this site that we now have a place to BS.

Thanks Allan.

My name is Robert Alman and I am 35 years of age, born in Kalgoorlie.

I started my life on the range in Esperance WA by marking each weekend and never even contemplated that I would come to enjoy the sport as much as I have.
The range opened in 1902 and is currently 700yards but is in the process of being extended to 1000y and 8 targets.
I started shooting in 1999 with an Omark 223 that had fired 10000 rounds and was suitable only for 62 to 69 grain junk.
I used it for a further 4000 rounds and retired it at the begining of 2005.
Now shooting another Omark 223 and have been very pleased with it to say the least and have scored 31 possibles (with 2 x 50.10) & 12 double possibles (including 100.20) in the past 2 years.
I am a carer for my disabled wife and her 80 year old mother and have 2 tin lids (the eldest starts uni next year) and have at times found it difficult to keep up with the changes needed to become more competitive and will probably never get all the gear I need; but do we ever have enough?

I am moving to Bunbury early in 2007 and hope to continue to learn about this sport as well as meet other shooters.

I have never fire a .308 so I can't compare the differences and so long as the little "Pea Rifle" continues to serve me well I probably never will fire one.

Regards

Littlebang556 Rob

Foxy

#3 Postby Foxy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:15 am

Hi all.
I am not a palma shooter, but I do shoot at ANZAC Rifle Range at Malabar in Sydney NSW (3-800m) where there are many fullbore shooters.
I am a member of Concord Rifle Club, which has approx 16 fullbore and approx 4 F class standard shooters.
I have a lot of respect for the fullbore shooter, it's a gentlemans sport compared to any other shooting sport, as far as I'm concerned.
I love a good chat with the veteran fullbore shooters.
There's a bloke who shoots fullbore in our club who is 89 and still beats the F class boys on a regular basis.
I'm glad there's a Fullbore section now on this site.
Cheers.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

ogre6br

#4 Postby ogre6br » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm new to Target shooting in all it's forms- I live in SE suburbs of Melbourne aand I'm looking for a club to join

later
Patrick

Peter Marum

looking for club

#5 Postby Peter Marum » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 pm

ogre6br,
Head on down to Glen Forbes rifle range , just past Grantville, on the track to Phillip Island, we cater for fullbore, f-standard and there even one that is giving f-open a go.

Regards ,
Peter

Billy308

#6 Postby Billy308 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi all,
I started shooting fullbore at 14 (now 33) in 1988 with my father who had shot since 1948 (until 2002) with the Orroroo Club. The Orroroo rifle range was built next to the town in the late 1880's where it still is today, and was the home range of Walter Addison (a Bisley winner). He won a huge Moose head trophy in Canada in the same year and it has been hanging over the entrance to the Orroroo town hall for nearly a hundred years. State shooters since the 1950's include Milton Francis, his daughter Lena and myself.
We shoot 300-700yards. Originally in the horse and cart days, the members would shoot from 900yards across the main road leading into the town. Then it was shortened to 800 I think in the sixties. And now as the safety angles are slightly tighter we can only get to 700yards. In about 2000 we amalgamated with Yanyarrie club 40km away and we can shoot up to 1200 yards. We try to shoot at least 8,900 yards at yanyarrie.
A wide open range where I have shot with over 30minutes on my sight. I remember one day we were due to shoot 900 and it was blowing its guts out so we snuck up to 300 where we only needed 8minutes of wind.
Orroroo range is sheltered a little by the town and a row of pine trees from the town side from 400 yards to 700yards.
Good shooting
Bill

tiny

#7 Postby tiny » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:34 pm

G'day, names tiny.
I currently shoot TR at Lang Lang in Victoria, my son Lachlan has gone over to the dark side and shoots FTR there. I started shooting TR in Cairns in 1982 then Geelong (Anglesea) in 1984, being in the Navy for 27 odd years, I moved around a bit. I shot SLR's and Steyre's in interservice matches when I couldn't shoot full bore. Three children later I made a come back to full bore in 2005 at Lang Lang. I really love the sport, the camaraderie and challenges especially with my cruddy eyesight! My No 1 rifle is a very tired Omark 44D in a very nice stock made by a fellow club member, and my number 2 is an even more tired M17, complete with a Canjar trigger and a ladder foresight, I have yet to master, I believe this rifle is haunted. Despite it's age, wear and tear etc. It is still capable of shooting incredibly small groups, unfortunately they seldom go where I want em to!!!
Lang Lang is a 6 lane range just north of Phillip Island, we shoot 300, 400 500 and 600 yds, we are surrounded by market gardens, bushland and the Lang Lang Coursing club.

regards
tiny

littlebang556

Intro

#8 Postby littlebang556 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:07 pm

This thread should be near to the top all the time...so get out there guys and gals, tell your friends and fellow shooters that it is here and how useful it is.

Regards

Robert Alman

Woody_rod

#9 Postby Woody_rod » Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Rod Shehan - Wurgabup Rifle Club in Western Australia. Shooting 2 years in July. WRC has 300-1000y range, and the cheapest beer for 200kms!! My wife Linda, and son Bayley both shoot in FS.

TR is great fun. I like the challenge of shooting with a sling, and reading wind etc. Is an interest for life really.

Will see some of you guys at the WA Queens this year?? Rob, you are due for a Queens now arent you? I see you weren't there last year. See how that 223 does now. I should have my new rifle built by the time the next WA Queens comes around in September.

littlebang556

Welcome Rod

#10 Postby littlebang556 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:01 am

Haven't seen you for a while and I can't tell you about the price of beer at Wurgabup but the scotch slides down a real treat every time I go there.

Welcome to the best (and possibly the largest) information database on the net.

Regards

Rob A

Woody_rod

#11 Postby Woody_rod » Fri May 23, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks Rob,

I remember serving the coke cans with scotch - was so funny, how could I forget! You and your dodgy mate from Esperance - Shane.

Grant

#12 Postby Grant » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:57 am

Hi All my name is Grant Jones and I turn 59 in november.
I started my shooting life as a kid on the farm shooting rabbits and anything else that was feral.
I was a cadet member when at school and my first rifle range experience was at the Now defunct Williamstown Military Rifle range in Melbourne.
I spent 20 years in the RAAF and held a marksman rate for the whole twenty years (it was worth a whole $0.50 a fortnight before tax)
I stopped hunting for a few years after discharge and recently took the sport back up and currently shoot Fstd using a Musgrave 7.62 and thoroughly enjoy the sport again.
I am a member of the Maryborough (Vic) rifle club and shoot every saturday
if it is ferel shoot it

Quick

#13 Postby Quick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:46 pm

G'day all, My names Shaun, im from two rocks in WA. Ive just started getting into TR, I dont have a rifle yet but once I join my local club that will change. I currently shoot at the Bindoon rifle range wiuth has 4 targets out to 900yds. I wouldnt mind shooting F-class as well but there is no guys who do there and I still want to get used to TR first. Ive been shooting for the last 8 yrs (im now 18) and currently own 2 air rifles and 2 .22LRs. Im looking forward to learning from you guys here and any west aussies, hope we can meet up for a shoot some time. Cheers all.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

littlebang556

Quick

#14 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi there and welcome.
Bindoon you say, well you should get looked after there by the likes of Mick quite well.

Quick

#15 Postby Quick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:57 pm

Cheers mate, Mick gave me a little coaching last sunday. Hes a good teacher, some of the other guys where making me laugh so I didnt get a really good score. It was amusing though. Good bunch of guys and girls up there, Im having a good time.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”