Gehmann #579 CLS Vari-Focal Astigmatic Iris system

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Kingy

#1 Postby Kingy » Mon May 25, 2015 11:14 am

Hi all,

Has anybody used one of these iris adaptors because of bad eye sight ?

Do they work ?

David B

Re: Gehmann #579 CLS Vari-Focal Astigmatic Iris system

#2 Postby David B » Tue May 26, 2015 6:27 am

Would like to know as well, how do they stand up to recoil, do they move?

lee_enfield223

#3 Postby lee_enfield223 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:47 pm

bought one and I know you can't dodge the laws of optics but think I may be doing something wrong, I can't get a good focus on the target and the front sight at the same time, I tried to focus halfway and close the aperture down but it's still not much good

LoneRider

#4 Postby LoneRider » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 pm

i was hoping for good news on this....
i am having trouble just getting normal glasses to use....
something like this [that worked] would be a godsend.

lee_enfield223

#5 Postby lee_enfield223 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:13 pm

ill keep you all updated as quite a few guys are using them at the NSWRA in sydney and ill speak to them about it, I tried shooting frames with the lens but with poor results as i get too much parallax error and shoot all over the target, I also mounted the shooting lens on the back sight face aperture hole but still get parallax error :cry: :cry: thats why I thought it was a great idea when I saw the lens between the front sight and the aperture but maybe there's a way to adjust the rear sight to reduce the blurriness as even if I adjust the focus to halfway between it's still not clear

lee_enfield223

#6 Postby lee_enfield223 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 pm

just found this new product which may fix everything !! but it costs a motsa see the info below taken from Gehmanns web page

http://www.gehmann.com/english/products.php?id=1639

50300-0 Diopter 0.0x
Revolutionary world‘s first diopter 0.0x We are proud that we have finally achieved to realize a dream of many sport shooters. Recently disclosed by the German Patent Office, soon available and suitable for shooters from club to Olympic level.

A diopter correction WITHOUT magnification!

The target picture size remains equal and clear throughout the entire dioptric adjustment range of +/- 5 dpt. A multi-lens
optical system using a highly refractive type of glass makes it possible to correct spherical defective vision without having any optical magnification.
In combination with our cylindrical lens system 579 for shooters of all classifications, we are finally able to provide a 100 % substitute for shooting glasses without any magnification which can be used by all shooters. The current I.S.S.F. rules state that magnification is not allowed in competition, meaning shooting glasses were the only aid available. This is now a thing of the past.
Shooting lenses are at a natural disadvantage to the diopter 0.0x. This is because a shooting lens is made to correct visual defects at the time the shooter is tested. Throughout the day, dependant on sugar and fatigue levels, the eyesight can change rendering the lens inefficient. The advantage compared to usual shooters‘ frames is the possibility to correct the spherical and astigmatic defect through slight fine adjustments any time, while neglecting the need of time-consuming shooting frame setups.
Patent pending. Registration for I.S.S.F. and DSB (German Sports Association) is in progress.

aaronraad

#7 Postby aaronraad » Sun May 01, 2016 12:54 pm

lee_enfield223 wrote:bought one and I know you can't dodge the laws of optics but think I may be doing something wrong, I can't get a good focus on the target and the front sight at the same time, I tried to focus halfway and close the aperture down but it's still not much good

I don't think the #579 will bring both the target and front sight into focus at the same time? Even with very flexible/young fast moving zonules controlling the optic lens, it's more of an illusion that both the target and the sights (front and/or rear) come into focus at the 'same' time? willada and a few TR experts probably have the low down on the principles. I believe the front sight is the primary element to keep in focus, the target will always have a grayed appearance instead of a crisp black.

Have you looked at the AOS Microsight through Sinclairs if you're concerned about multiple focus points? I'd be interested to see if anyone in TR has found a significant improvement using one and now has it permanently attached?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

lee_enfield223

#8 Postby lee_enfield223 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:11 pm

got one of the aos sights it didn't seem to make much of an improvement

lee_enfield223

#9 Postby lee_enfield223 » Sun May 01, 2016 6:07 pm

I just sent an email to euro shooting in Czechoslovakia enquiring on shipping cost etc for that new gehmann sight will keep you all informed

Old Trev-39

#10 Postby Old Trev-39 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi All,
Back when I was shooting peeps (and wearing glasses which I have to) I was having trouble getting front ring in focus. Discussed this with my optometrist and he suggested I bring in all my gear and take up shooting position in his rooms. H then measured from front ring to my eye and gave me a prescription for that distance for the aiming eye. I had glasses made with this prescription in the aiming side and standard prescription in the other side. This fixed the problem. Had the lenses changed as the eyes changed over time.
Hope this helps.
Trevor.

lee_enfield223

#11 Postby lee_enfield223 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:10 pm

yes I tried that and the target was fuzzy so I threw the glasses away

johnk

#12 Postby johnk » Thu May 12, 2016 7:30 am

Old Trev-39 wrote:H then measured from front ring to my eye and gave me a prescription for that distance for the aiming eye.

lee_enfield223 wrote:yes I tried that and the target was fuzzy so I threw the glasses away

Most don't understand the requirement. It can take as little as ¼ dioptre (off your standard correction, if you already wear glasses) to clear the foresight adequately, seldom if ever more than ½ when the depth of field effect of the rear peep is taken into account.

pjifl

#13 Postby pjifl » Thu May 12, 2016 9:21 am

I have never used the Microsight and am a little skeptical.

But I do know of a few TR shooters who use them.

One maintains that initially he could not get it to do much but eventually reported that alignment of the device normal to the sighting line was critical.

Many TR rear sights are vertical but in fact should lean forward slightly, especially when jacked up higher for very long distance shooting.
This sometimes places a restriction on how long and narrow a shade tube or filter which screws into the front of the rear sight, and also how long any gadgets which screw into the rear of the rear sight can be. The rays will pass close to the edges of any of these devices rather than the centreline if not well aligned.

Anyway, he reckons a distinct improvement was evident on adjusting the angular alignment when using the Microsight.
It could be that the Microsight is really intended for small bore and Olympic Air rifle shooting where this is usually a non issue and its adoption and mounting by Fullbore shooters needs a rethink.

Whether this is true I don't know but it may be worth experimenting.

Peter Smith.

budget

#14 Postby budget » Sun May 15, 2016 8:54 pm

hi guys,
i have used the micro sight and find it did exactly as stated.i thought it was very good especially at the shorts 3,5 &6.
for some reason i didn't think it was as good at the longs,7,8,9 & 10.
i think it was more mind over matter but i seemed more comfortable at the closer ranges.
paul.

lee_enfield223

#15 Postby lee_enfield223 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:04 pm

thanks for the update about the micro sight how was it mounted ????

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”