Stocks

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Scottybro987

Stocks

#1 Postby Scottybro987 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi all,

I have recently taken up full bore target shooting and I'm after some opinions and info on alloy stocks.
Has anyone heard much about BDG stocks out of WA?
What are some other good brands to look at?
And I'm after some good web sites that sell accessories e.g. Sights, jackets, slings etc.

All the help I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Bindi2

Re: Stocks

#2 Postby Bindi2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Scottybro987 wrote:Hi all,

I have recently taken up full bore target shooting and I'm after some opinions and info on alloy stocks.
Has anyone heard much about BDG stocks out of WA?
What are some other good brands to look at?
And I'm after some good web sites that sell accessories e.g. Sights, jackets, slings etc.

All the help I can get would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

This years WA TR Queens winner uses one ,he also I believe the instigator of the BDG stock.
I have two that I use for F/C. They are not cheap. My Barnards bolted straight in. The cnc does a brilliant job, colour choice good, wood or ali grip and cheek piece options.

tom1

#3 Postby tom1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:17 am

BDG make a high quality stock and increasing in numbers in WA. As Bindi said they are not cheap . For the budget minded like me there is a stock maker called Alan Cronk . I use one with an Omark action , I have had it for about 18 months and have no complaints. Another member at our club also has one fitted with a Musgrave action. I saw at least four of these stocks at the WA Queens this year that belonged to interstate shooters , I spoke to all of them and they were very happy with the stock. The stock is made of mild steel and wood and weighs just under 2 kg including the V block that Alan machines to fit.There was one for sale on this forum about a month ago with a V block to suit a Barnard , it was a bargain at $450. Disclaimer I have no financial interest in the production of these stocks. There are also several other stock makers advertised in the ATR Magazine.

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22 am

As far as web site goes google your state rifle ass. They will have a link to their online store. For example qra has the q-store. Which is probably a good start for you to have a look at.

Josh Cox

#5 Postby Josh Cox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Scott,

Welcome:

Jackets: Walden Miller in SA do an awesome job and you can buy off the shelf or they'll make one to fit you.

Stock:

I have had a couple of aluminium stocks,

an Eliseo, great stock, I was never comfortable in it.

A MacIntosh I purchased from Aubrey, it was awesome, I should have kept it.

One of the TR shooters at my club has a BDG with an Inch action, it would have to be five plus years old so potentially an older model, fitted with a Tmac sight, he has apparently had weight issues with the rifle at his first Queens with it ( too heavy ).

Presently have a Mastin thumb hole timber stock, well worth the wait, they just fit right away, like a comfortable pair of thongs.

Action:

I think the Barnard is hard to beat, simple and strong design, easy to get parts, easy to work on.

Sight:

Rear sight, I have a TMAC and a Phoenix top mount, especially love the phoenix, but the TMAC is easy to maintain and Malcom from TMAC is at most big shoots.

Front, John Cooper ESQ makes awesome front sights, and he's a terribly nice guy, for a New South Welshman :) http://oneoffprecision.com.au/products-2/

Have fun shopping

higginsdj

#6 Postby higginsdj » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:52 am

For all your needs check out James Corbetts shop online at http://www.triplej.com.au/

I prefer his Jacobs jackets over the Walden Miller Jackets (the Jacobs jackets are specifically designed just for prone shooting) - they are also a bit cheaper. Q-Store is another useful site to hunt down a variety of items including a range of slings, iris's, sights etc.

I use Cronk stocks on my Barnards. They do the job though it is 'clunky' but no 2 stocks are alike. I am moving to a Gemini Stock next year (when they come in) for more adjustability.

Cheers

David

GregW

#7 Postby GregW » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:20 am

One thing to consider with alloy stocks is hearing damage. As well as hearing damage through your eardrums, you can incur further loss via the bones of the skull. It is therefore a good idea to have a noise absorbent material on the cheekpiece. Wood is such a material. Metal or fibreglass is not.

Greg Warrian.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”