What rear sight.

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Macca

What rear sight.

#1 Postby Macca » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Hi. Im going to start shooting Full bore soon and would like to be mostly set up before I go to the range. I have an omark in 223. It had a central rear sight on it but somehow it has gone missing. I have a gehman 22mm front sight holder with a couple of irises. without breaking the bank I would like to get another rear sight. Should I just buy another central rear sight or should I be looking at something else

bobeager

#2 Postby bobeager » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Macca, see PM

higginsdj

#3 Postby higginsdj » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:59 am

TMAC sight from Shooting Industries Australia (http://shootingindustriesaustralia.com/) will do the trick. Not overly expensive - last forever if looked after and maintained.

When you say you have a couple of Iris's for your front sight what do you mean - variable iris's or just a couple of fixed size rings? Do you have an Eagle Eye or no lense at all in the front? What size front rings/variable Iris size range do you have?

Cheers

David

Macca

#4 Postby Macca » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:39 am

I have 2 different variable sizes for the front. I cant remember what sizes they are off the top of my head. I dont have an eagle eye or anything else. At this stage I only have the gehman 22mm sight holder and 2 adjustable rings

saum2

#5 Postby saum2 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I have a as new Central sight, used only for 1 state team match if interested PM Me.
Geoff

Macca

#6 Postby Macca » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:50 pm

I have a couple of offers for central sights. Is this the road I should be taking. I dont plan on trying to become extreemly competitive just club level shooting and maybe the odd local open shoot

bsouthernau

#7 Postby bsouthernau » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:02 pm

In that case the Central will be fine. I have Parker Hale, Central, T-Mac and Trakka rear sights and they all do the job. 1/4 minute adjustments for elevation are helpful and the P-H, T-Mac and Trakka all offer this. The trakka and P-H also have 1/4 minute windage adjustments but I don't kid myself that I can read the flags to that level of accuracy. An adjustable iris in the rear peep is a great asset. I rarely use the coloured filters in the rear peep but do find the amber helpful when things are very murky. Front ring size depends on your eyesight and whether or not you use an eagle-eye. You said you have a couple of adjustable ones for your front tunnel so see how you go with those.

Barry

higginsdj

#8 Postby higginsdj » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:20 am

Rear colour filter or polariser is good when the target is so bright that it overwelms the front ring (you can only reduce the rear peep size so much) O course it depends on the range you shoot on and time of year. Here in Canberra, for example, a low winter sun in the afternoon makes the targets standout like beacons.

1/4 elevation and 1/2 windage is all you need. At 300 you can still get 1/4 windage if you need it by adjusting to between clicks on the windage arm which is really only necessary if you are aiming for Centre's (I'm just happy to keep them in the Bull :) )

Cheers

David

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”