Eagle Eye placement.

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

tom1

Eagle Eye placement.

#1 Postby tom1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Set up one of our senior shooters today with a 0.5 Eagle Eye. Then explained that he will need to purchase larger foresight rings. Then we started talking to other shooters who use eagle eyes about where to place it. Some have the eagle eye in behind the front ring while mine is in front of the ring. After we finished shooting we discussed the merits of where to place the eagle eye. Then someone asked is there any rules about where it must be placed. Everybody had a blank look on their face and said they had no idea.
Is there a law that states the placement of eagle eyes? Would hate to be at a DRA meeting or a Queens and be disqualified. Would appreciate feedback from those in the know.

johnk

#2 Postby johnk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 am

Its location is not mandated, other than being carried by the foresight.

RJNEILSEN

#3 Postby RJNEILSEN » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am

No rule dictates a location in front or behind the ring. There are benefits to either set up based on your vision and the brand of front sight.

I know some top shooters who move the lens in front of the ring when its raining to increase the protection from water drops landing on the lens.

However I think most shooters place the eagle eye on the muzzle end of the sight. This is what I do. I believe the ring will look sharper this way and this I believe is more important that anything else.

Cheers,
Ryan.

tom1

Eagle Eye placement

#4 Postby tom1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I have my eagle eye in front of the ring. It seems most of the shooters at our club have it the other way around. Having a sharp defined ring was discussed yesterday after shooting . Not sure if this is possible with the eagle eye in front of the ring , I have never tried it this way.

pjifl

#5 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50 am

As long as the Eagle eye lens is fairly close to the front ring, it does not matter optically whether it is in front or behind.

The consideration of rain entry is worth while because it is catastrophic.

Perhaps this is not at all relevant here but worth knowing.

Some Eagle Eyes are not centred properly in their mounts.

As long as it does not rotate during a shoot this may not matter BUT this can change the zero of the rifle.

You can check this by aiming while resting the rifle so it is steady and have someone turn the Eagle Eye. If you see the target describe a small circle this could potentially be a problem.

A slight zero error L-R could rob you of scores in a light fishtailing wind.

An error in elevation is simply taken care of by elevation adjustment after sighters.

So if you do find any significant centering error, try to arrange it to be vertical by limiting the thread end position.

Most of these devices are well made and have no error. But it is a demanding operation to perfectly centre a low power lens like an Eagle Eye. Worth checking.

Peter Smith.

pjifl

#6 Postby pjifl » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:58 am

For what it is worth. I always found that I shot better with a 0.3 dioptre than a 0.5 one.

While it does magnify, it also accentuates the difference in focus between target and aperture. So it blurrs the target more.

I think which Eagle Eye and the increased ring sizes you use vary a lot between people. So don't take any advice from one person as gospel.

It is worth experimenting.

And remember, there is that other option of scope shooting which is just as enjoyable and challenging.

I am not pushing either discipline and have done both.

RJNEILSEN

#7 Postby RJNEILSEN » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:21 am

Shooting vision is a very personal thing. I sell rings from 2.0mm to 10.0mm in 3 different annulus thicknesses. No two shooters see the same sight picture.

I do find there are local preferences to sighting, eg in New Zealand, nearly all Sumo Sight owners run with 3mm annulus rings, while in Victoria 1mm rings are the majority. QLD & NSW its 2mm. Not sure of the cause of this.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”