what tr needs

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

what tr needs

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 am

tha attitude in tr almost seems to be to throw up their hands and accept inevitable death of the discipline.
the problem is that they hold the positions of power and hold fclass back as well.
this might help.
http://ahsc.arizona.edu/node/730
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

DaveMc

#2 Postby DaveMc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am

Actually I think we are going to see a revival of TR soon. One of the things that is going to help is "FCLASS". In the last 6 months I have heard of more F class shooters starting to give TR a go than you could imagine.

If managed properly F class is the logical entry into TR shooting. Learn to read the wind, fundamentals of reloading etc etc then work on TR technique. If you try and do all it once it is a very hard ask and can be unrewarding and very disheartening.

The gradual acceptance of F class into the ranks is helped greatly by the TR fraternity seeing more F classers pick up a TR rifle! :D

And logically - vice versa.

No CPR required! Just a healthy diet of acceptance and mentoring programs :lol:

Seddo

#3 Postby Seddo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 am

DaveMc wrote:The gradual acceptance of F class into the ranks is helped greatly by the TR fraternity seeing more F classers pick up a TR rifle! :D

i've picked up a few TR Rifles, does that count or do i have to shoot them too? :-(
----------------------
Seddo

Moe City Rifle Club

RAVEN

#4 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 am

Dave I would absolutely agree with your sentiment
It has always been my belief that F-Class will reach some sort of saturation point and I have always said that if TR plays their cards right the flow will then go back to them.
My concern is the defeatist woe is us attitude that I hear continually
If TR paint themselves as a sinking ship who would want to get on board
IMO Their attitude to all of this needs to change.
RB :)

bruce moulds

#5 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am

tr is a wonderful sport with great history and tradition, and fclass has come in on the tail end of that.
it would be a great loss should it go by the board, for us as much as them.
it would be hard and sad to imagine a queens without tr.
the problem is that tr always has a reason not to do something as opposed to looking for ways to advance.
the nraa is at the pinnacle of this attitudinal problem.
there is a failure to stand back and look at the broad canvas, and from there identify a means of stopping the rot, and from there building.
I respect and have many tr friends, and value this greatly, and would like to see tr moving forward rather than dying.
the bottom line of this is the hunt for membership, and then keeping said members in a happy state, as opposed to holding back the movers and shakers.
keep safe,
bruce.

higginsdj

#6 Postby higginsdj » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Interesting perspective. In Canberra we are picking up far more new TR shooters than F class even though all new shooters are started in F Class! We have as many or more regular TR shooters than all the F class dsiciplines combined. The average age of our TR shooters is lower than the average age of our F Class shooters!

RAVEN

#7 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:32 pm

higginsdj yes it is interesting
This could have a direct relationship between the different cultures between states its is certainly a worthy topic.
Maybe the NRAA should be taking notice and structure a plan for the future membership growth with these facts in hand.

David B

#8 Postby David B » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:52 pm

"If TR paint themselves as a sinking ship who would want to get on board"
Don't think its TR doing the painting here :idea:

RAVEN

#9 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:55 pm

David B
David please understand I can only give my perception on what I see and hear.
This as I'm sure you would understand would not apply to everybody or every club it’s just a generalised statement.
We are trying to come up with some ideas with what can be done to encourage new membership and bolster TR in general.

I do not want to get into some sort of slinging match :)

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:23 pm

"slinging" CLASSIC! :lol:

WA is still alive with this "painting" but I hope numbers do increase for TR and "sinking ships" isnt the case. Its always good having side by side shooting with TR and our club has a very good relationship between shooters. Its been in other clubs that I have found the most trouble especially when it comes to sharing the mound with visitors from other clubs or new shooters. Most people are fine but there are still a minority few who can ruin a day on the mound.

RAVEN

#11 Postby RAVEN » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Good pick up Brad :lol: :lol:

bruce moulds

#12 Postby bruce moulds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:36 pm

where tr appears to be going ahead,i can only say this is fantastic.
however in other areas, there is a definite decline in numbers at clubs and at prize shoots etc.
the gradual decline is worrying.
the other thing that is worrying is the tr shooters' attitudes, which seem to be basically to curl up and deny the problem, preferring instead to bitch and nitpick about irrelevancies like how to get an edge over another club in the dra.
as far as grabbing any stranger that turns up on the mound and getting them in a coat, pulling a trigger, and going home with a smile on their face wanting to come back asap, well that is a non existant dream at best.
facing the above, getting new people there in the first place could involve being the perpertrator being burned at the stake. you can bet if you get them there, they won't be made welcome.
keep safe,
bruce.

budget

what tr needs

#13 Postby budget » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:10 am

hey bruce i come in peace,
firstly yes numbers are declining but that is in any sport target rifle included but are we a sinking ship i think not. when you have gun powder in your veins be it fclass or target rifle we will still line up on a saturday. instead of worrying about target rifle going head over heals i would be more worried about boosting the attendance figures of the fclass at prize shoots / queens. there never seems to be many entries at prize shoots in sth australia. just a thought.

Malcolm Hill

#14 Postby Malcolm Hill » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:55 am

Hi Paul
I know at times F class numbers could be better at prize shoots but fullbore numbers seem to be dropping off a bit as well. I wonder if you would like to take a stab in the dark (not the dark side) as to the attendance numbers at the last prize shoot in S.A.?
Regards Malcolm.

higginsdj

#15 Postby higginsdj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:35 am

Personally, I do not see the point of 'Prize meets'. What can they offer that home club competition can't offer? In this day an age it costs a lot to travel to and compete in a prize meet that isn't "just around the corner"...

There is a social aspect .... I can get that at my club!
There is a high level of competition aspect .... I can get that at my club!
There is tha possibility of a prize .... Well I'm not that good a shot so I'm not going to get a prize!

Same thing applies to Queens. Unless I choose to "camp" (and I don't), going to a Queens costs a lot of money. ~$150 for entry, ~$200 for ammo, ~$200-$300 for petrol, ~$300+ for accomodation - close to $1000 in total. Prize meets cost maybe 1/3-1/2 that. In this day and age thats a lot of money. How many events can you afford to attend each year? I figure I can afford 2 Queens and no prize meets a year.

Cheers

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”