Barnard triggers - sear dragging

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

JohanH

Barnard triggers - sear dragging

#1 Postby JohanH » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm now having exactly the same issue with 2 Barnard triggers bought at almost the same time. When opening the action after firing, the trigger is not cocking - the sear is not re-engaging. Has anyone out there had similar issues and what have they done to remedy the problem?
As an alternative - what other triggers would forum members suggest for with the Barnard "P" action?

KHGS

#2 Postby KHGS » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 pm

Your triggers need to be cleaned, serviced & adjusted.
Keith H.

Triplejim

Re: Barnard triggers - sear dragging

#3 Postby Triplejim » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:04 pm

JohanH wrote:the trigger is not cocking - the sear is not re-engaging. Has anyone out there had similar issues and what have they done to remedy the problem?.

Send them to Keith, JC

mike H

#4 Postby mike H » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:59 pm

The slightest looseness of the screw holding the trigger to the action will give the same trouble.
Mike.

bartman007

Sticky trigger

#5 Postby bartman007 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Johan,

I know exactly what you mean. I have a brand new action, and experienced the same issue when dry firing.

However, when firing a loaded round, it seems that the trigger resets correctly. The recoil must give it a jolt.

I found that pulling the trigger after dry firing, did seem to reset the trigger though.

I was a bit concerned, as everything was BRAND NEW. I also needed to give it a good lube and clean up prior to using.

I expected better, should this be put down to factory quality control?

Or is it a requirement of setting up a new action and barrel?

Should I in future request this as an additional task for the armourer to do?

Should I go back to the supplier and request a replacement trigger?

Where does the onus lie? If it's considered my job, then I'll quite happily request an armourer to do it as an additional setup task.

mike H

#6 Postby mike H » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Bartman,
I am staggered by what I have just read, it loks to me that you have purchased an action somewhere,then found someone to fit the barrel and hoped for the best.The triggers need setting before use.I purchased my Barnard off a shooting gunsmith who supplied and fitted the barrel,he also provided a copy of how to adjust Barnard triggers. I would either go back to your armourer and ask nicely if he would adjust it,find someone in your club who is familiar with Barnards or try and get a copy of the instructions and do it yourself. Good luck.

JohanH

#7 Postby JohanH » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Bartman,
I sent my triggers to KHGS for servicing. Barnard triggers are apparently supplied with 1 of 3 different spring sets (light, medium and, you guessed it ... heavy). I'm an F-Class shooter where minimum trigger weight is 1kg. I was supplied with the medium weight trigger which can be set to 1kg but since the springs are permanently over compressed, they lose their ability to hold the 1kg weight with time. This is exactly what happened. KH fitted the heavy weight springs, cleaned and lubricated the mechanism (which needs to be done from time to time - just like a car needs servicing) and it works lie a charm - worth every cent spent.
If you're still having problems - send the trigger to KHGS.
Johan.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”