broken bolt

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

ian smith

broken bolt

#1 Postby ian smith » Sat May 07, 2011 6:06 pm

hi all ,well i picked up my fullbore rifle and when i pulled her apart to clean her,i found that it had a broken bolt where the triger guard bolts on to the action.the old owner had tryed drilling it out with out succes and for some reason there is silver solder around the area,there is still 2 bolts that hold the action in place the question is ,is it safe to fire?
thanks all
ian

Woody_rod

Re: broken bolt

#2 Postby Woody_rod » Sun May 08, 2011 6:25 pm

ian smith wrote:hi all ,well i picked up my fullbore rifle and when i pulled her apart to clean her,i found that it had a broken bolt where the triger guard bolts on to the action.the old owner had tryed drilling it out with out succes and for some reason there is silver solder around the area,there is still 2 bolts that hold the action in place the question is ,is it safe to fire?
thanks all
ian

Give some details on the action brand etc? Maybe a picture.

A recoil lug action will shoot fine with just two bedding screws. If it is the tang screw (the one right at the back), it is better to leave it off the rifle anyway.

ian smith

#3 Postby ian smith » Sun May 08, 2011 7:41 pm

thanks rod, its a mauser action and its the front bolt on the trigger guard
ian

Woody_rod

#4 Postby Woody_rod » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 pm

ian smith wrote:thanks rod, its a mauser action and its the front bolt on the trigger guard
ian

So it now has one screw (a bolt with no nut is a screw), at the tang position (right at the back end), and one at the front?? It should still work ok from an accuracy point of view if that is what you are getting at.

I would only worry about it if something on the action does not work....being a recoil lug action, the bedding screws don't do much other than stop the barreled action falling out of the stock :D

ian smith

#5 Postby ian smith » Mon May 09, 2011 10:34 am

thanks for the info rod now i got to try her out
ian

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”