Variable Sights

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

littlebang556

Variable Sights

#1 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:01 pm

I have a set of variable rear sights that for some reason do not have a round hole.
I need to use them this week end as I don't have a spare, does anyone know how best to fix them?
What I do know is there is a small pin opposite the dot on the scale/filter plate...is it this that needs to be removed to get at to guts of it and if I do will it fly everywhere.
I am confident I can make it better than it is until the end of the season...then I can send it to be repaired.

ozfarm

#2 Postby ozfarm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 am

dremel tool wont fit i gather

littlebang556

Sights

#3 Postby littlebang556 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 am

ozfarm wrote:dremel tool wont fit i gather
Smart Arse...good to see you are alive again RP.

Don't need to make a new one just need to fix it but to frightened to pull it apart.....I do have a real old spare, might just send it to triplejims hospital.

ozfarm

#4 Postby ozfarm » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 pm

saw a dremel tool kit in mitre 10 2day, one there would have fitted the hole in your sight

littlebang556

Sights

#5 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Sight not really a problem atm...good enough to get a good picture but i am wondering if it being out of round is somehow giving me the 4 lines of elevation I am getting out of it.

to eliminate fowling I have cleaned the barrel to shight and briny just need to load some crackers for it now...will do tomorrow.

ozfarm

#6 Postby ozfarm » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:52 am

Sight not really a problem atm...good enough to get a good picture but i am wondering if it being out of round is somehow giving me the 4 lines of elevation I am getting out of it.

your just narrow minded :lol:

littlebang556

Variable Sights

#7 Postby littlebang556 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Narrow mind but a fat head...so the girls say...

Woody_rod

#8 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Rob, nothing about you is narrow:

Neither your view of rifle shooting, or your personal self is narrow LOL!

How is that girls rifle going? We are about to get some 223R reamers. Pretty sure they might be ok for fox shooting, not sure what else though, any suggestions mate?

johnk

Re: Variable Sights

#9 Postby johnk » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:01 pm

littlebang556 wrote:Narrow mind but a fat head...so the girls say...

I saw a billboard that said something about nasal delivery technique... :lol:

littlebang556

.223 Reamers

#10 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:40 pm

firstly Woody, .223 is best left for shooting fox.

If you are to chamber 5.56 Target you will be needing a NATO reamer to start with.
Mine is a JGS Reamer....www.jgstools.com...their standard reamer is fine and well withing the specs laid out by SSR's.....some are not but people still use them?????????

Hope this helps.

Glad to see that you have been able to drag yourself away from the INCH for a few minutes.

Cheers

Rob.

Woody_rod

#11 Postby Woody_rod » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Rob,

Dont get too technical, you will injure yourself.......BTW, Gimme an INCH, I will take a while......errr, mile.

How would the NRAA go about checking a chamber?? Interesting idea.

littlebang556

Var Sights

#12 Postby littlebang556 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:55 am

It's al the Bourbon running in my blood stream that makes me have technical thoughts.

I know you know how much I like a wee drop so you would understand that the old grey matter does overtime regular.

As for checking the chamber of rifles I am not sure how this would be done other than by close examination by other than a blacksmith when reasonable suspicion warrants.

As for the, "give me an INCH"......you could almost incorporate that saying in some way to reflect certain work carried out by that Mazak Monster....BTW...A mate of mine drives a 40hp CNC with G/box and might be worth the occaisional contact to swap/obtain ideas....he has had all the big crashes with them and has learnt a swag that might be of some use.

Cheers

Rob.

Woody_rod

#13 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Just thinking on the chamber....could probably check the case easily enough after it has been fired. Using a known spec maximum case gauge / false chamber whatever.

Send me the details of the CNC guy, could be worth a few bourbons if I am over that way sometime.

Incidentally, we now have two CNCs. The new one is a tiny engraver that does our - you guessed it, engraving. pretty handy.

littlebang556

CNC Guy

#14 Postby littlebang556 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Have emailed to ask permission to forward contact details..will keep you posted.

Otherwise, yes indeed it would be quite a task to test chambers, spotting obvious details like differences between a standard allowable calibre and an AI would be a start but I suspect some differences are much more subtle...anyways, who cares too much so long as we know we can still miss with what we use.

Regards

Rob

P.S. The whole bourbon idea has drools running down my chin....I can almost smell it........Don't forget, MASSIVE prize list at our 2009 PM in August this year with Barrel, Huge reduction off price of an action and much much more....If you are keen you could save Bourbon for yourself and contribute to our PM in a small way????Just a thought.

Woody_rod

#15 Postby Woody_rod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Rob,

Despite appearances, you sure are a smooth talker.

PM me to let me know about the huge return on any investment we may receive in return if we sponsor your prestigious event?

ps. I have at least one open, and one full bottle of bourbon, and have not touched them since mid December - is that sad or WHAT!!

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”