bridging the gap

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

bridging the gap

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:59 pm

would any fullbore shooters be prepared to submit reasons why fclass open is not gaining acceptance in some fullbore areas.
if anyone is game enough to do this, could they offer any suggestions as to what we open shooters could do to improve the situation.
i ask this question in a constructive manner, and hope it is recieved in that manner.
i would also hope that any response is received as constructive.
bruce.

KHGS

Re: bridging the gap

#2 Postby KHGS » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm

bruce moulds wrote:would any fullbore shooters be prepared to submit reasons why fclass open is not gaining acceptance in some fullbore areas.
if anyone is game enough to do this, could they offer any suggestions as to what we open shooters could do to improve the situation.
i ask this question in a constructive manner, and hope it is recieved in that manner.
i would also hope that any response is received as constructive.
bruce.

Bruce, F Open took off well here in ACT, but sadly has tapered off. As to why, my opinion about my local scene only. The target I believe is a factor. Most of the Fullbore shooters here who went to F Open have changed to F Std. There have been some personality problems from within F Open locally, which have not helped it's cause here, however there just might be a slight resurgence starting to occur.
I am pleased to say that F Open's presence has been welcomed by our Fullbore members, there seems to be no animosity between the two disciplines here.
I think that F Open may be seen by some prospective converts as an "arms" race caliber wise. This is of course is nonsense in real terms, but I can see how some might see that as a hurdle.
Keith H.

Quick

#3 Postby Quick » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 pm

This is from my local club only. A few of them see the F-Class guys as a whole as 'Benchrest." I dont take this view as I hope to shoot FS when I can. I'm building my next scoped .308 to be legal for FS.

The main issue I see being the factor is that the difference in targets. I think that if we all shot on the exact same target with the same scoring, the transition would go very easy and the TR guys would be fine with it. As they see themselves as the majority, then they have the most say and will decide this in a way.

The best thing we can do is to educate the guys who are against FS and FO and even give them a few shots of our rifles and make them see that we arnt that different and are worthy of shooting on the mound with them.

Mmmm. Thats what I think at any rate. Feel free to disagree guys, I dont mind.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

bruce moulds

#4 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 pm

richmac
where are you?
bruce.

littlebang556

F Class ?

#5 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Many clubs have a handicap system that takes steps to even out the winners list within the TR world and I am aware that some systems exist for handicap in F C but to run 2 or more ststem simultainiously would require either a split in the cost of or more trophies. This is a hard thing to ask of the many small clubs throughout the country.
In my previous club I devised a system based upon the McWhirter HCP system where both disciplines could compete for the same trophy and it work extremely well...of course it was trialed over a couple of years before being introduced but had us shooting on the mound together with the same of F Class competition targets...sounds confusing and to some extent it was but simple maths is all that was required and could be done in a book or on a computer.
We found that once the segregration was eliminated we were all there to have a good day.
We even found that it was an advantage to have F Class shooters present for when visitors or new members arrived as there was no shortage of equipment on which to rest the rifle...of course this meant that we sometimes lost the occaisional shooter to F Class but it meant that there was one more person on the range.

I have since had a couple of computer upgrades and have lost the booklet that explained it all but for those interested I could be pursuaded to write up another for emailing.

Cheers

Rob Alman

IanP

Re: F Class ?

#6 Postby IanP » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:26 am

littlebang556 wrote:Many clubs have a handicap system that takes steps to even out the winners list within the TR world and I am aware that some systems exist for handicap in F C but to run 2 or more system simultaneously would require either a split in the cost of or more trophies. This is a hard thing to ask of the many small clubs throughout the country.

Cheers

Rob Alman

Rob, I think you may have hit on the biggest stumbling block to f-open acceptance and that is as you stated, how to incorporate it into the clubs handicap competition. F-open uses different targets, champ or super v and the smaller center makes it more difficult to formulate a fair handicap system for the f-open class shooters.

I would like to see the system you came up with for your club's handicap.

Woody_rod

#7 Postby Woody_rod » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:06 am

The McWhirter handicap system works well. At Wurgabup RC, we use this system, but not sure if it has been modified or not.

There doesn't seem to be any reluctance of TR shooters to shoot against F class shooters for a daily prize. We dont generally have any FO, so FS is simpler beiong shot on the same 5-V target we shoot on.

To remove any doubt about the outcomes for club champion, there is now an open and handicap trophy for F class as well as TR. I think there is still a long way to go.

Just on equipment, I think now that people are building rifles for F class specifically, we can see how the discipline is different to an old TR used over a rest...

littlebang556

Dual Handicap

#8 Postby littlebang556 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 am

As mentioned above, a HCP system does exist (and can be altered to accommodate differing clubs if needed) to incorporate both F Class and TR.
It would be my recommendation to run as a trial within a club before adopting such to ensure satisfaction but it is a way to fairly distribute the trophies.

The booklet incorporates a few other handy bits and pieces...wind chart and the like.

Anyone wanting a copy just ask and I will send.

Regards Rob Alman

P.S. System worked for F Open and Standard and didn't matter what target they used...sounds wierd but it worked

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”