Club Championship - equal top, now what?

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

Woody_rod

Club Championship - equal top, now what?

#1 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Reposted from Long-Range forum:

Hello all,

Thought I would provide an opportunity for the board members to give me some good advice (or bad, or lead me astray whatever):

I am currently equal top in our local club championship, with 777 points/ 800 so far.... YES I have shot all the ranges before you ask (ha ha). There are two other shooters on the same score - both division one shooters, me in division two. They have better scores posted than I do in the ranges remaining (800, 900 and 1000y), giving me the upper hand I think, as I can make the points up easier (in my head anyway!). I can make up a possible 15 points in the last 3 ranges.

What advice is available so I can have a chance at really making the last 3 ranges pay?

Things that are known:

My rifle is shooting extremely well, no known problems with ammo or other gear.
My position is ok, I have been working on it for quite a few months now, seems to be working out.
I have only been shooting for just on 2 years in fullbore. I have shot 2 Queens events so far.

I think the thing is the psychological side....

AlanF

#2 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Rod,

Sounds like you're running a championship system similar to ours where we have 4 stages and run them twice, and you only count one of each stage, whichever is the higher. If that is the case, then we need to know why the other shooters finished better than you at 900 and 1000yd the first time round. Depending on what you come up with from your excuses bag, we may be able to advise you on the psychological aspects!

Alan :D

Woody_rod

#3 Postby Woody_rod » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Hey Alan,

I never thought of the difference in their shooting and mine the last time around....

Well (digging noises in excuse bag added here...)..

We shoot all year, no real breaks apart from the odd Queens or Christmas Day here and there, so we have about 4-5 complete rounds per year, the highest score being used for the championship board, aggregates for end of year prizes - usual thing.

Well, I missed probably at least 2 sets of ranges, maybe more. The 1000y score I posted was the second one only this shooting year, the first being an 86 on a horrific tailwind day.

I also stayed away from shooting for a little while last year before and after the Queens as my position and scores were floating in the dunny so to speak. I had to either make improvements in my shooting, or go and find another sport. Having spent so much money on this one, I decided to stay. I got as bad as shooting 85-88's. I was not happy about that.

Decision was taken to change my barrel last year, along with a radical change in position, I started to really peel the points off. Got my first 100 ever about 2 months ago at 400y. Otherwise shooting crazy scores like 48.8 or 49.7.

Funny, it has been like the second steep bit of the learning curve, like you see in the Tour de France, where the riders climb steep hill, only to go around the bend to find an even bigger hill to climb. What makes this sport so interesting I think.

ozfarm

#4 Postby ozfarm » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm

keep going with 1 eye on the road and dont worry about the occasional pothole

life is like a box of chocolates, never know which 1 u are going to get

any chance of competing in the EDRA OPM, 2 /3rd of august, wara was suposed to have emailed the fliers out, but they dont seem to have

hot beer & cold food :P

Woody_rod

#5 Postby Woody_rod » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 am

Ozfarm,

I saw the EDRA meeting notice somewhere....probably on the WARA website which I have a look at now and then. Last year and the year before, I didnt shoot any PMs before the Queens, but this year, I will try to attend a couple at least. I need the time behind the rifle - particularly as I will most likely be using my new CG INCH rifle this Queens.

The beginning of August sounds like good timing so far...

Don't drink beer myself, so that doesnt matter, some bourbon and toast will do me.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”